Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumption - how much

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Another data point for the 997.2S engine. During the run up to my first oil change I added .4 quarts one time in response to the gauge dropping one segment. That first 2400 miles included some 150mph autobahn driving. I have 1600 miles since my oil change and have added zero oil; the oil level gauge still reads at the top. This also includes 3 autocrosses where the car was driven hard. .4 quarts; that's the sum total of extra oil added to the engine in 4000 miles. Not what I would consider excessive.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:53 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize that the majority of 997.2S owners do not have an oil problem. I would like to find out for the ones that do, are these early production 997.2 cars? I would like to explore the possibility that whatever the problem might be, did Porsche make a correction fixing the later cars?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Just curious. What would be the cut-off month when one talk about an "early production" 997.2 ? Mine is a Jan 2009 which I guess is early production. I have not noticed excessive oil consumption (yet)...but will be monitoring closely.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:10 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

I'm not sure what "early" would be. Mine was produced in July of 08, about six months before you. I am burning a considerable amount of oil.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieTheC
When I owned my 09 C2S Cab and was burning 1 quart every 500 miles, I spoke to a frind of mine who works for Ferrari and is one of 19 Ferrari Master Mechanics in North America. He said that there is zero reasons that ANY new car should consume oil at that rate, and, if some Porsches do and some do not, and Porsche cannot fix the problem, then there is an engine design flaw. He has been working on engines for almost 30 years, and this guy is very well respected in the So Cal automotive community. I believe what he has to say for Porsche North America would not admiot that it is a problem, much less solve it. Their posture is that the engine in the 997.2 is designed to burn oil. Since this is the only new car that claims that it is acceptable to burn 1.6 quarts every 622 miles, then the only possible conclusion is that it is indeed an engine design flaw. Some people can live with that....some can't. I could not.
Since you have moved on, and no longer have to deal with an oil consuming Porsche, why do you still linger in a Porsche forum? Just saying...
Old 07-28-2010, 09:45 PM
jay997
AutoX

I dont think it matters when they were produced, the bottom line is, some burn oil, some dont. There is no strategic reason behind it. Plenty of 997.1 not just 997.2 burn what you consider to be a considerable amount. 1qt 1200mi. Thats not bad. Whats bad is 1qt 600mi. Its pure luck. Not how you drive, how far, how cold or hot you let your engine get. Assuming you dont go crazy with breakin.
I like to hear from a oil burner 1qt. 600-1000 who has about 60-70k miles on a 997.1s/997.2s to see if they experience any mechanical issues.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

Originally Posted by jay997
I dont think it matters when they were produced, the bottom line is, some burn oil, some dont. There is no strategic reason behind it. Plenty of 997.1 not just 997.2 burn what you consider to be a considerable amount. 1qt 1200mi. Thats not bad. Whats bad is 1qt 600mi. Its pure luck. Not how you drive, how far, how cold or hot you let your engine get. Assuming you dont go crazy with breakin.
I like to hear from a oil burner 1qt. 600-1000 who has about 60-70k miles on a 997.1s/997.2s to see if they experience any mechanical issues.

I do not have enough data to agree with your conclusion that it is pure luck. I am try to get more info to form an opinion. After reading a lot of threads on this subject, I'm just saying that it seems that there are more 997.2 oil burners.
Of those 997.2s, I am trying to eliminate the possiblity that the earlier cars have more of a problem as is the case with mine. I don't think "strategic reason" is the right way to characterize this issue. Isn't it possible that there was a production problem that got corrected?

I would like you to find just one other type of car owner (even other high end sports cars) that considers 1 qrt every 1200 miles to be an expected or normal amount.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

These threads always turn into a storm in a tea cup. All boxer engines from their start in 1948 used some oil. Some more than others. This is not new. To be consumed with this and stop enjoying the car us what's wrong.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:10 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Since you have moved on, and no longer have to deal with an oil consuming Porsche, why do you still linger in a Porsche forum? Just saying...
Was just about to say the same... he probably misses the 911, beside the oil consumption!

@ Ronnie, maybe you should look into getting a CPO 997.1? Cheaper and less prone to excessive oil consumption!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:14 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I average around 1 qt every 1500 mi or so. 1st change at 2500 mi. Now every 5000 mi. 08/08 build C4S PDK launch car. Just changed oil at 15000 mi and will record and report over the next 5000 mi. Its my DD...mostly city with 1-2 I95 blasts a day.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:16 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

These threads always turn into a storm in a tea cup. All boxer engines from their start in 1948 used some oil. Some more than others. This is not new. To be consumed with this and stop enjoying the car us what's wrong.
My car is a great enjoyment. Best driving car I have owned. I realize this is not new. I am just trying to put a different slant on the subject and test a new theory. I don't believe that the enjoyment of the car and understanding why it burns oil are mutually exclusive.

Last edited by greenpdk; 07-29-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Come on..... this is startng to sound like a BMW forum. It is not OK to have interest in the P-car or brand even though you are driving something different?
Old 07-28-2010, 11:44 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Mine burned a little early on but hasn't for awhile now.
It's revved to redline and driven the way it's meant to be driven. I think that helps.

My GT3 doesn't burn a drop.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:55 PM
RonnieTheC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Come on..... this is startng to sound like a BMW forum. It is not OK to have interest in the P-car or brand even though you are driving something different?
Thank you for your post. I am a car nut and frequent many forums. It is probably the best way to keep infformed. My intentions are not to knock Porsches, for they are basically fine cars. I am just letting folks know of my experience. If someone buys a Porsche and has to add oil more frequently than in other cars, and they don't mind, then that is fine with me. But foir me, since I drive 20K a year and was adding a quart every 500 miles, that averaged out to adding a quart every 8 or 9 days. For me, that just did not cut it. Had Porsche made any effort at all to help me solve this problem, I may have not had such a bad taste in my mouth, but their attitude was just awful. In 4 months of ownership, I dealt with the sales manager, the service manager, went to both mediation and arbritration, all with zero results and even less interest. What would you have done if you were in my shoes?
Old 07-29-2010, 02:08 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

Originally Posted by RonnieTheC
Thank you for your post. I am a car nut and frequent many forums. It is probably the best way to keep infformed. My intentions are not to knock Porsches, for they are basically fine cars. I am just letting folks know of my experience. If someone buys a Porsche and has to add oil more frequently than in other cars, and they don't mind, then that is fine with me. But foir me, since I drive 20K a year and was adding a quart every 500 miles, that averaged out to adding a quart every 8 or 9 days. For me, that just did not cut it. Had Porsche made any effort at all to help me solve this problem, I may have not had such a bad taste in my mouth, but their attitude was just awful. In 4 months of ownership, I dealt with the sales manager, the service manager, went to both mediation and arbritration, all with zero results and even less interest. What would you have done if you were in my shoes?
Ronnie-I can totally appreciate your position. I doubt that anyone adding a quart every 8 or 9 days would want to stick with their car. The reality is that most of us that are burning oil are not doing so to that degree. It is agreed that these engines will all burn some oil.

The issue (again) is why some of us burn large quantities and most will burn very little. I find it very curious that the reaction from Porsche is just to say that there is no problem with no explanation. How can they put in the manual that is ok to burn up to 1.6 qrts every 600 miles when most 997's (when broken in) don't burn any after thousands of miles. I can't be sure but it seems like Porsche knows or should know what is going on. Their reluctance to disclose anything must be because they believe by doing so, a financial liability may be created.

If I was aware of this issue when I payed 100k for my car, I would have tried to work something into the deal that protected me. I believe that everyone purchasing these cars would love to avoid an oil burner.

Last edited by greenpdk; 07-29-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption - how much