Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for audio upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:37 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Suggestions for audio upgrade...

would like to enhance the audio. currently have bose.

is there any easy, clean method to upgrading by simply replacing speakers?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:44 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrat
would like to enhance the audio. currently have bose.

is there any easy, clean method to upgrading by simply replacing speakers?
Short answer no!

I've been on the same route, there are some specialty people who charge between $3-8K to do a partial upgrade (without HU change), but nothing under $3K I've seen so far that can benefit. The problem is that way things are wired is totally weird, some speakers are power by HU, some by external amp, and there's no easy way to just the amp to improve front speaker sound, or so.

If anyone has had luck just upgrading speakers and keep the system sound good with OEM Amp, I love to hear about it (most aftermarket speakers are deeper and won't fit into our doors).
Old 07-21-2010, 12:51 PM
dave-t
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What type of sound are you looking for? If you want quality autophile sound the answer is NO. What I have have done in all of my cars and my cayman is next is: JL CleanSweep(so I can keep my factor headunit and add after market amps), Focal Utopia B #6 speakers and 2 Jl Audio 6" subs, Focal Duel Monitor Amp and focal FPS Sub class "D"amp followed by some Black hole for sound deadening. System will be small, but sound like a orchestra.

dave-t
Old 07-21-2010, 01:12 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by dave-t
What type of sound are you looking for? If you want quality autophile sound the answer is NO. What I have have done in all of my cars and my cayman is next is: JL CleanSweep(so I can keep my factor headunit and add after market amps), Focal Utopia B #6 speakers and 2 Jl Audio 6" subs, Focal Duel Monitor Amp and focal FPS Sub class "D"amp followed by some Black hole for sound deadening. System will be small, but sound like a orchestra.

dave-t
How do those focals fit? swap right out, or need modifications to fit (specially in the door)?

Also, how did you manage to add external amp, I believe you need some sort of a special DA converter before doing that.

PS. I just read you said, PLAN to do the Cayman, so not done yet, you may have more difficulty here vs. other cars (not sure what they were), but if you already have figured it out, please let us know.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:21 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Only because it hasn't been said and it will:

Gundo Hacked Muffler?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:21 PM
dave-t
Advanced

Here is what a CleanSweep does:
1) About the size of a paperback book, CleanSweep� accepts virtually any analog audio signal, from low-voltage line-level to high-power, amplified speaker-level, via its four differential-balanced inputs. With totally automatic level compensation, CleanSweep� then converts the two or four connected analog signals to digital audio with 24 bit effective resolution.

2) CleanSweep� applies the power of its state-of-the-art, 32-bit SHARC� DSP processor to automatically equalize each of the four channels with 30 bands of equalization (that's 120 bands total), effectively correcting the response of almost any factory-equalized, full-range signal. These digital-domain corrections will range from subtle to dramatic, depending on the degree of equalization engineered into the factory audio system. To accomplish this complex feat, you simply load the supplied CleanSweep� calibration CD into the factory-installed CD player, set its volume control between 1/2 and 3/4 volume, play the designated calibration track and then press the ?Calibrate? button on the top of the CleanSweep� processor. Approximately 20 seconds later, the CleanSweep� is finished analyzing and equalizing the factory-installed source's response and stores the corrections in non-volatile flash memory.

3) CleanSweep� then converts the digitally corrected signals back to analog audio and sends them out to your aftermarket amplifiers through two pairs of low-distortion, 8 volt (RMS) line-level outputs.

4) CleanSweep� includes an intuitive rotary user interface (a **** with stops at both ends) to control the master system volume at the outputs of the processor unit for both the OEM (factory) and auxiliary sources. The master volume eliminates the effects of any equalization that is dependent on the OEM volume control position and allows a high signal-to-noise ratio to be maintained in the system. When pressed, the master volume **** also selects between the OEM and Auxiliary source. A dash-mountable status LED changes color to indicate OEM or AUX input modes. These small controls can be easily mounted within reach of the driver.

5) CleanSweep� can be deployed in signal-sensing mode, powering up and providing a 12-volt turn-on signal for aftermarket equipment whenever signal is detected. It can also be activated by a conventional 12-volt trigger, if the OEM system provides one.

The Focal 6.5 speakers went in pretty easy with a nice custom fiberglass mount. No major modifications has to be made and the depth was fine. I have a friend who owns a high end audio install shop and has done many porsche caymans, 996, 997 and is currently working on a panamera. It is quite amazing how he fits these stereo's in such small cars. he just finished the same system I listed above in a lamborghini lp460.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:49 PM
bagombo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm installing a Kenwood DNX9960 soon and will be bypassing the Bose amp for all speakers aside from the subs. Will run a line out to the Bose amp from the deck which will still power the subs. Nothing expensive required, just some RCAs. At least I hope....

I called Audiolines and they wanted to sell me a 900 dollar converter which I don't believe is necessary.

In a couple months I'll likely buy a 5 channel amp and some decent front speakers to upgrade the sound. Its all easy once you have an aftermarket HU in there. I have not yet checked the depth, but they make speakers for all types of applications these days.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:57 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like any good audio upgrades, you need to get rid of the PCM head unit so you don't need expensive converters or weird wiring. But you will need to give up some of the features, specially if you have sports chrono option. Here is a good thread on an awesome head unit install:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...lots-pics.html

You can keep the stock amp for the subwoofer. But if you want to replace the sub, then the stock amp can go as well.

If you really want to go all out, then replace all speakers and run separate amps to them all. I have not look into the stock speaker wires but being Bose, they are probably of some thin gauge that needs to be replaced.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:51 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
How do those focals fit? swap right out, or need modifications to fit (specially in the door)?

Also, how did you manage to add external amp, I believe you need some sort of a special DA converter before doing that.

PS. I just read you said, PLAN to do the Cayman, so not done yet, you may have more difficulty here vs. other cars (not sure what they were), but if you already have figured it out, please let us know.
i saw a post somewhere on audio forums about that - minor cutting is needed for subwoofers in doors but it fits OK - focal has shallow 6" woofers, midrange speakers do fit nice with no cuts.

it is not that big of a project really, only scary part is to take door apart. as it was discussed several times already proper way to do it (in non-bose car) to disconnect audio outputs from back of PCM, then throw those 4 channels outputs from PCM into trunk using new wires - into same spot where you had your old amp, throw old amp out, use new cable to feed inputs into new soundprocessor/amp an then use existing old wiring to feed amplified signal back to speakers - which you also got to replace, naturally.

only downside is that most likely you will loose 5th center speaker as its signal comes from this misterious stock amp somehow.

another downside is that all good speakers are HEAVY. much heavier than those speakers you have in your car stock.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:44 PM
budmanv24
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd run focal kevlar's and some good amps....audison, TRU, Genesis, the list goes on. I wouldn't drop a ton of money into the stereo if this is your first real car stereo. Start off by just getting your feet wet.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:02 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best audio upgrade - exhaust. If you're driving the car so that you can actually hear the radio, then you aren't driving it correctly.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for audio upgrade...