Sponsored by:

TORQUE???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 03:37 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Nothing against buying used cars, and I know as a fact that great ones are out there, cause I recently sold 2 pristine Roush mustangs to very satisfied customers, that I still keep in contact with today. I just am all about new.
I am actually emailing back and forth w/ RUF. For an install price of $30k, it will give me 465hp/350tq, with a full engine warranty from RUF GmBh. Car has to go to Michigan, where it can be installed by RUF themselves. I am not sure about those numbers for $30k, I would have expected more. Naturally I am also paying for RUF's rep and warranty, which goes a long way. Also the uniqueness of having a RUF tuned engine.
So, you're saying... you prefer RUF aftermarket solution at $30K (that voids your warranty, may cause other issues) to Porsche Twin Turbo solution out of the factory, which you might be able to get for less $$?

If so, gotto admit it, you don't just want more Torque, you got the Mod itch!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:39 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no way.

Believe me, torque is the focus of my life.

Personally, I'd skip the RUF kit and just get a turbo 911... used if necessary.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:04 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
There is no way.

Believe me, torque is the focus of my life.

Personally, I'd skip the RUF kit and just get a turbo 911... used if necessary.
+1000!

I really don't understand his logic for not doing so, as I said above, he probably got the mod itch!
Old 07-21-2010, 04:25 PM
NYC_Z06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha! Who's this, Jay?
Who else... Get the TT. Hell, get a GT2 RS if you can get on the list.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:33 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC_Z06
WGet the TT.
Turbo and torque: it's "point and shoot" in any gear.

(Yes, just blabbing, not literally, it's gotta be one of the usual frisky gears ).
Old 07-21-2010, 07:54 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Who else... Get the TT. Hell, get a GT2 RS if you can get on the list.
Sup there Jay! You aroung this weekend for a Hamptons wine run? Ron and Jack are avail either day, as am I since I am here. I need to hit up Sanders.
I don't want to sell the S yet, I love the car, just exploring my options. Car is crazy fast, I am just not used to having to throttle a car to achieve it. I am a little of a torque *****!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by LlBr
Turbo and torque: it's "point and shoot" in any gear.
Well said!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:00 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by alexb76
So, you're saying... you prefer RUF aftermarket solution at $30K (that voids your warranty, may cause other issues) to Porsche Twin Turbo solution out of the factory, which you might be able to get for less $$?

If so, gotto admit it, you don't just want more Torque, you got the Mod itch!!!
Doesn't void my warranty, RUF picks it up from the point of the mod. It's not a mod itch, just looking for some more torque down low.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:55 PM
NYC_Z06
Advanced

Sup there Jay! You aroung this weekend for a Hamptons wine run? Ron and Jack are avail either day, as am I since I am here. I need to hit up Sanders.
I don't want to sell the S yet, I love the car, just exploring my options. Car is crazy fast, I am just not used to having to throttle a car to achieve it. I am a little of a torque *****!
Can't. In Dallas. Next time, definitely. And yeah, I know your ride is fast but nothing exceeds like excess. Maybe the track is where you'll enjoy your NA 997 more?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:08 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Doesn't void my warranty, RUF picks it up from the point of the mod. It's not a mod itch, just looking for some more torque down low.
So, if your gearbox went, RUF will fix it? or if your fuel pump failed (like a lot of 997.2), they will cover it? I am sure they only cover their own parts... and Porsche would make RUF super charger as an excuse to deny any engine claims!

It just doesn't sound like a wise way to add Torque to an almost brand new 911, while there is an OEM TT?! If it was 996, or earlier 997, I totally understand why one wants to go with RUF, as you'd been out of warranty and trading up to TT is much more money.

It's your money... report back how it does.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:13 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I am giving one more bit of advise, my car has over 100K in mods including a supercharger, which was installed on a modified engine, and it can slam you back in the seats like rocket taking off. It has no warranty, no traction controls, not much left in it that came with it, and if you get a good launch (without going sideways), it will do the 1/4 in 11.2 on street tires. How often do I get to use all this power, almost never, what is my 220K investment worth, not much but a smile every now and then. I'd drive a Ruf (I did it was not that impressive, and nothing like my car), before I spent 30k, and trust me I doubt you want to deal with the complications of any problems, my car spent close to a year apart, and another 3 months after it was put back together being fine tuned. Buy a TT.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:45 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by alexb76
So, if your gearbox went, RUF will fix it? or if your fuel pump failed (like a lot of 997.2), they will cover it? I am sure they only cover their own parts... and Porsche would make RUF super charger as an excuse to deny any engine claims!

It just doesn't sound like a wise way to add Torque to an almost brand new 911, while there is an OEM TT?! If it was 996, or earlier 997, I totally understand why one wants to go with RUF, as you'd been out of warranty and trading up to TT is much more money.

It's your money... report back how it does.
I was told by RUF that they would warrenty the engine, not just the parts. You make some valid points, that if other componets of the drivetrain fail, will it be a pissing match between Porsche and RUF, with me in the middle!
I am leaning away from the kit, cause it only gives a modest increase in tq, 310 to 350. Hp is up to 465 from 385, which is good, but for $30k I would expect more torque. Are their other kits out there to consider, that offer more for the same or less $?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:47 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
I am giving one more bit of advise, my car has over 100K in mods including a supercharger, which was installed on a modified engine, and it can slam you back in the seats like rocket taking off. It has no warranty, no traction controls, not much left in it that came with it, and if you get a good launch (without going sideways), it will do the 1/4 in 11.2 on street tires. How often do I get to use all this power, almost never, what is my 220K investment worth, not much but a smile every now and then. I'd drive a Ruf (I did it was not that impressive, and nothing like my car), before I spent 30k, and trust me I doubt you want to deal with the complications of any problems, my car spent close to a year apart, and another 3 months after it was put back together being fine tuned. Buy a TT.
I hear ya, but what you did sounds way too exessive to me anyway. I'm not looking for that. I would like somehow to get the tq, at least equal to the stock hp.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:49 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Can't. In Dallas. Next time, definitely. And yeah, I know your ride is fast but nothing exceeds like excess. Maybe the track is where you'll enjoy your NA 997 more?
Ok, next time! I will track it one day for sure and who wouldn't enjoy a 911 more on a track!
Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 PM
cbzzoom

Electric FWD motors like the GT3 Hybrid would be an awesome way to get that low down torque boost. I suggest you look into that mod

Quick Reply: TORQUE???