Sponsored by:

DIY – GT3RS fabric door pull conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Aluminum has a lower specific gravity than Titanium.
Isn't it so much stronger that you can make the part with much less material?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:53 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

Outstanding write up and pics.

Thank you!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Do you guys recall reading the business about the aluminum colored plastic door pulls when they were developing the 997? Apparently Porsche had originally WANTED to included billet aluminum pulls (which we see today as those plastic things) but during crash testing the billet aluminum's weight was so excessive that during a crash the momentum of such mass caused them to move and open the doors. They had to revert back to plastic PAINTED to look as aluminum to keep them from opening by accident.
Dan, thanks for sharing this background info on the alloy door pulls ... not sure I buy the safety explanation ...
Porsche should really engineer a solution for REAL alloy pulls in their sports cars ...
Old 07-14-2010, 09:41 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

great mod! looks like you could probably source the nylon in any color you wanted and get it sewn on correctly...perhaps a bus. opportunity? Plug Guy?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:30 PM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Great write up. I did this mod too. Did it just for the design/looks....which I like. I know some don't. I found it easier to use a slightly bigger drill bit and just drill out the center of those plastic inserts in step 3. No need for the torch then. Then I used bevelled washers with screws that countersink in. If you get the right size, it's a perfect fit right over the plastic inserts. It was a very clean look and held super strong. Highly recommend attempting it.

Check out this link too, which I found very helpful for the door removal and components. This is where I got the idea for the bevelled washers.

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/caym...r-removal.html

07 RS
98 C2S
97 C4S
77 911S
Old 07-15-2010, 12:34 AM
Clifton
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by daedton
I found it easier to use a slightly bigger drill bit and just drill out the center of those plastic inserts in step 3. No need for the torch then. Then I used bevelled washers with screws that countersink in. If you get the right size, it's a perfect fit right over the plastic inserts. It was a very clean look and held super strong. Highly recommend attempting it.
DOH!!!! That is a great alternative! I tried to drill away more of the rivet without much love so I resorted to the plastic melt approach. Funny thing is I found those same washers at lowe's and purchased them as a fall-back. When my first attempts at drilling failed (created an unwanted dimple in the insert), I thought I'd minimize my footprint and preserve as much of the factory look as I could. My original plan was to save the original inserts at all cost. I've since ordered replacements to keep with the car if I ever want to go back.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:44 AM
Clifton
Pro

Originally Posted by Nugget
Did you weigh the parts you took off and the parts you put on so we can once and for all settle the debate of how many grams the fabric pulls save?
I did weigh the parts, but Porsche sent me an email and asked me not to disclose how many doll hairs they were apart in weight. They stated that the fabric vs. plastic debate was just as important for web forum discussions as the epic PCCB vs Iron and Manual vs PDK debates.

Sorry Nugget...
Old 07-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Haha. Nice.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:00 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AWESOME POST!

Thank you for the effort!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Taxi?
Instructor

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i do think the door pulls should be volcano grey on non S models tho!
Why?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 186 Posts

Very nice write up.
I may attempt this too in the future, using the Maritime Blue straps offered with the 964 RS America. However I'll need to craft the Maritime Blue straps onto the 997 specific axel mounts
Old 07-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Clifton
Pro

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Very nice write up.
I may attempt this too in the future, using the Maritime Blue straps offered with the 964 RS America. However I'll need to craft the Maritime Blue straps onto the 997 specific axel mounts
Bruce - It should be possible as long as you reverse engineer and apply the same methods. Below is the only close up I have, but I tried to outline the key element. The pull strap is attached to the axel mount via a smaller black nylon strap that is sandwiched and cross stitched to the main strap. The black strap wraps around a small steel dowel rod that connects a u-shaped plastic bracket at the end of the mount. I think the stitching is the only hurdle.

Of course you can also choose the other factory colors (Red, Black or Silver), but I like your idea of using one from the 964.

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!!!!

Name:  pull-closeup.jpg
Views: 12333
Size:  34.4 KB
Old 07-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

I think this looks alright in certain cars, but not all. Some appear to look cheapened by it while the more 'boy racer' ones look nice with it. I hear you pay more for the kit if Walter R. used them once before!

Last edited by Edgy01; 11-23-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:29 PM
kevsmachine
Track Day

I'm installing the red pulls in my 2007 Cayman. I have the complete set plus the carbon fiber covers. However, the newer cars have a different cable end that connect to the new latch than the 1st gen cars. I will have the cable part numbers in a few hours.
Anyone else experience this?

Old 11-23-2011, 02:10 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I switched out the bottom part of the axle handle (the part that attaches to the inner door panel) from the old axle mount to the replacement axle mount. I hope that makes some sense. This allowed me to not have to change to the new cable pull. I can't take any pics until Sunday.

The hardest part was getting the spring to sit correctly.

Quick Reply: DIY – GT3RS fabric door pull conversion