Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie In Boston Here, Shopping For 997

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:01 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, all throughout Europe, and I mean the alps, are Porsche enthusiasts driving their C2 and C2S cars with snow tires. If they can do it, so can you. My E46 M3 was a low and powerful RWD car. I drove it 3 winters here in CT with snows and not once did I feel I could not get where I wanted to go. True story - one day it was snowing like crazy. I'm at a light with 2 lanes each way. A big SUV pulls up next to me and I can see the guy pointing and laughing. Light goes green and I'm off like a shot and climbing the big hill. SUV is swerving all over the place just trying to get started. Lost him in my rear view mirror. That was with 50/50 weight and no ballast in the trunk. With the Porsche, the engine is over the rear. With the C2 / C2S you can go with 235 / 265 snows on 18" stock wheels (should be easy to pick up a slightly used set or a set of take offs from an 09-10.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:43 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Changbang
I'm going to be driving the car year-round. Since I work from home, I don't drive enough to justify keeping 2 cars.

A C2S is very tempting since it's cheaper and gives me a lot more options. But I'd hate to have to take the bus to get groceries in the winter
If the roads are plowed and you have snows it's no big thing. If they aren't even with AWD and that low to the ground you're not going anywhere.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I REALLY do NOT understand people's comments about RWD being GOOD for snow!

I agree, it is FINE in snow with Winter tires (while terrible without), BUT, an AWD WITH WINTER TIRES is just that much better, safer, specially on uphills and mountainous roads. Both will brake the same distance in snow, but AWD DEFINITELY has BETTER TRACTION! Whoever is dedating this, is QUESTIONING PHYSICS!

Basically, if your RWD is good, the AWD is just that much better!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Tsurara
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, and AWD is terrible in snow with summer tires. Your "grip" is almost solely a function of the tire compound.

That's all well and good, except Boston doesn't have steep uphill and or mountainous road and the climate there in no way justifies the price difference for the 3 months out of the year in where we actually have snow. With a 65k budget every cent will count and he will be able to get much more car in a C2S model vs. a C4/C4S. If the sky is the limit as far as price, then sure, get AWD.

Furthermore, a Porsche has too low ground clearance to be used in any real sort of snow fall, AWD or not, so it's almost a moot point.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Changbang
AutoX

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

One factor that I have not considered enough is ground clearance. I've only test driven a C4S so far, so I'll have to try a C2S. Going without AWD definitely opens up a lot more options, including the '09 C2.

Tsurara - Hey there! I think our last conversation about your C2S definitely gave me some motivation to make the jump myself
Old 07-13-2010, 10:52 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsurara
Yes, and AWD is terrible in snow with summer tires. Your "grip" is almost solely a function of the tire compound.

That's all well and good, except Boston doesn't have steep uphill and or mountainous road and the climate there in no way justifies the price difference for the 3 months out of the year in where we actually have snow.

Furthermore, a Porsche has too low ground clearance to be used in any real sort of snow fall, AWD or not, so it's almost a moot point.
Did the OP said he's planning to run his AWD with summer tires in snow?!

If one plans to drive in winter, and they have 3-months of snow, it's an absolute POOR recommendation NOT to get an AWD. You could be fine 99% of the times, but for that ONE time that you may lose it in snow, is totally worth the AWD in snow. Not to mention it's also better in wet.

I cannot count how many Boxsters I saw last year STUCK on the main road (uphill) to my house WITH snow tires! Next time I will take pictures for such debates!

There are many IDIOT SUV drivers who don't know how to drive and they assume having 4WD helps them in snow with summer/all-season tires and I see those people in the ditch all the time, while proper AWD cars with winter tires are perfectly fine all around winter time up here.

The price difference isn't much at all in used market, just the selection is a bit more limited. At the end of the day, if OP finds a great C2S that fits his budget and options, he can definitely get away with it in snow, if he puts winters on. However, it is definitely not the best car for 3-months of snow driving!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:35 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

The main roads, within the 128 belt, the snow is treated and removed, almost as soon as it falls. It's the city, skyscrapers and everythin. There's maybe 2 days out of the whole winter season where you would have a problem.

Stay off the roads until treated, and you can drive all winter, even on "summer" rubber. There's people who ride Vespa's all year round.

Just beware of your limitations-no 60MPH exit ramps events, buy all your food before the N'oreaster, and wait for the plows and sanders to do their things.

BD

Quick Reply: Newbie In Boston Here, Shopping For 997