Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on the black plastic insert in the front bumper??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Steve/K2WE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on the black plastic insert in the front bumper??

I was at my local dealer today. He had a new GT-3 RS up on a lift. The car is amazing. I noticed it had a wire mesh looking inser (trimmed in red)t in the front bumper skin where us 997 owners have the blank, black plastic insert. I know that insert can be removed. I was wondering if it can be replaced by the mesh insert and will that bring more air into the radiators?? Any comments??

Thanks

Steve in Saratoga Springs, NY
Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

What year and model car do you own? It makes a difference.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Steve/K2WE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 Targa 4. The opening looked the same but I may be wrong..

Steve in Saratoga Springs, NY
Old 07-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

The way the 997.1 cars are designed you have two radiators -- one on each side. There is nothing to be gained by opening up that center section because the ram air ducts that feed the side radiators are closed systems--there is no provision for additional flow from the center area. In fact, if you did some modifying in that area you might inadvertently foul up the flow by adding unneeded turbulence to the equation.

The 997.2 cars actually have what you are seeking in that the central air duct routes air to the side coolers.

Do you believe that you are experiencing excessive heat retention? (Do you track?)

An alternative for that era cars is to retrofit a central radiator to that position and remove that blind duct. The next step beyond that is to put on a a GT3 type front bumper which has provisions to vent warm air out along the leading edge of the front luggage compartment door (hood). GT3 and GT3RS cars come this way due to the added power production and resultant heat increase.

Suggest, however, that you follow the KISS principle. Keep it simple. Adding a central radiator adds to the complexity of the car's cooling system, but also exposes the front of the car to added vulnerability to damage.

Last edited by Edgy01; 07-09-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The cars like the one you saw, have a 3rd radiator in the center front, that that mesh grill allows air to feed to. They vent that air via the grill on the upper surface of the bumper cover just forward of the hood latch.

On cars without the 3rd radiator, adding that air flow through path produces no benefit other than cosmetic, and adding the upper vent is a rigged job to do it on an existing 997 bumper, unless you replace the bumper cover with the appropriate cover that has the vent built in.

Quick Reply: Question on the black plastic insert in the front bumper??