Sponsored by:

Porsche of July Celebration

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010 | 11:24 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Porsche of July Celebration

Well, it was actually the 5th, but I got to drive this cool ride - an '87 911 3.2 Carrera, Sport Equipped. It belongs to a friend - his weekend toy.

Some 5spd lust - even though my 997.2 is very nice, this just felt like a real Porsche and looked like a real Porsche with styling that endured for 26 years - I reckon I'm nostalgic (or just old ). Certainly the definitive 911 for my generation. Black on Black with the Black Fuchs and that wicked wing on the back - what's not to love.

It drove great too - a deep and heavy clutch, but smooth shifting and fun. The steering was also incredibly heavy - long time since I have driven non-power steering. No power brakes either, but didn't seem like a problem.

We had fireworks, parades, and picnics...yet, this was the highlight of my 4th of July weekend.

Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2010 | 11:40 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my all-time favorites, as well. Sounds like you had a fantastic time!
Old 07-08-2010 | 12:12 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Great treat! The 997.2, although evolved and refined in many ways, still has the soul and many of the characteristics of that 911 mid-life-range car. With the 991 sporting a longer wheelbase that will be gone.
Old 07-08-2010 | 12:35 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Brings back fond memeories of my first Porsche; a 1984 Carrera 3.2, ruby red metallic with burgandy full leather, 5sp, Fuchs alloys, and factory spoilers with that wonderful and unique "tea tray" at the rear. I owned that car for 13 years and would love to have the opportunity to drive it again; I envy you!

I do think you might be wrong about the brakes though. My '84 had vacuum assisted power brakes. Porsche made quite a deal about the upgraded brakes on the Carrera that year which included thicker rotors, bigger calipers, a f/r brake proportioning valve, and the vacuum boost unit from the 928. I'd be suprised if they regressed on the '87 and went back to unboosted brakes.
Old 07-08-2010 | 02:04 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Great treat! The 997.2, although evolved and refined in many ways, still has the soul and many of the characteristics of that 911 mid-life-range car. With the 991 sporting a longer wheelbase that will be gone.
It does seem like there is a disconnect nowadays with cars. This car was not plush, but it was nice - nice does not have to be plush - it was a "car" car - and seemed very purpose built. After taking a drive, we were talking about how you cannot really buy a new car like this - at least I don't know who makes that sort of car anymore. Wasn't there some musician who started up a "new" 993 shop?

Maybe the trepidations about future 911s are unfounded, but we see the trend line - the very reason BMW is not appealing anymore is they have morphed into something else. My '85 325e was even more plush than this 911 - slightly, but still reminded me of the "idea" - a driving car.

I don't know - the music is sucking, the cars are not so cool - I reckon that's a sign of something more ominous than an engineering problem. At least the women and whisky coming of the current lines are still done well.

Quick Reply: Porsche of July Celebration