Sponsored by:

Screwed Up Paint -- My fault!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:23 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin K
I am about as annoyed with myself right now as I can be. Yes, it's only a car as I keep telling myself, but I am sure peeved at my own stupidity.
Nah. Not stupid. Ease up on yourself. Not worth it. How do I know?

I was pulling into my garage next to my new Bimmer. I wondered if my Pcar door would hit the pristine new shiny Bimmer door and was thinking of hanging a piece of styrofoam between the cars. The cars were maybe three feet away, a nice distance, but nevertheless I thought the doors should be protected.

What did I do? I pulled in, turned the car off, set the brake and I opened the Pcar door and bashed it into the Bimmer!!

It was at that point I realized the human brain can't be relied upon for absolute rationality even on the most mundane non-emotional, non-subjective issues. Every now and then sht happens.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:24 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem is evidenced by what he already experienced. You try to "blend" anything and it burns even more area. So if you were to get some new clear on you'd want to buff it and then you'd burn a whole new area.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:27 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by RonCT
The problem is evidenced by what he already experienced. You try to "blend" anything and it burns even more area. So if you were to get some new clear on you'd want to buff it and then you'd burn a whole new area.
Thanks, interesting and too bad

Also sounds kinda like a nightmare: literally.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:35 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Find a good shop to try a touch up. You can always reshoot the fender if you can't live with it. A repainted fender is more of an issue at resale than a touch up.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:15 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a new detailing product out there, Opti-Coat, that acts almost like a clear coat.

Once the product dries, you would have to buff it off with compound to remove it-so it's extremely durable.

Applying it may duplicate the depth of shine of the original clear coat, however, you will have to get it applied by a 'professional detailer' as it is not for sale to the public.

BD
Old 07-06-2010, 02:27 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

But then when you buff it out with compound you now have a bigger burn than you started with. This is the challenge of the newer paint jobs we are getting.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:06 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Here ya go. Decals. Problem solved.
Attached Images   
Old 07-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or as an alternate...now that you've "chipped" her...

Take said car to track, and push to limits....the smile on your now liberated face will compensate handily.

Moreover, you'll almost certainly have added comprehensively to the chips across the bodywork...rendering doing any retouching rather moot.

That should lead you to returning to track, adding to smile, indulging further...and relishing your new worry free approach to Porsche paint maintenance...

At which point Ferry will smile from his cloud based observation post...

after all you're using his baby...just as he intended.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:35 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

if it was my car i would go with option 4. it is the only one that would ultimately satisfay me.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:34 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brendo
another suggestion - have a body shop try to clean up the area and then put a clear bra on the front of the car. the film will protect the car and will cover some of this.

you'll notice some but others probably won't
my thoughts - clear bra it after touching up. extensive front end clear bra will run about the same as option 4
Old 07-06-2010, 10:44 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Oh, wow. So many voting for option #4? I'd just take it to the best body shop I could think of and tell them to fix it as well as they could without costing me and arm and a leg, and then I'd live with the result.

Some times I get the impression that some of the other P-car owners wouldn't approve of the way I use my car at all.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:39 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Oh, wow. So many voting for option #4? I'd just take it to the best body shop I could think of and tell them to fix it as well as they could without costing me and arm and a leg, and then I'd live with the result.

Some times I get the impression that some of the other P-car owners wouldn't approve of the way I use my car at all.
go to the best reputable paint shop in your area and do what they say.

it looks to me too you will need to repaint it. but may be they can fix it locally, who knows. they can try it at least as to repaint whole thing is always possible.

if you will want to sell you car later it will create a problem as many buyers do check paint depth as complete repaint usually hides unreported accidents. you better take a lot of pictures and document this whole thing. it is the only downside of respraying, good shop should make new paint as good as original factory paint was.
but if you will get it re-sprayed - put clear bra on new paint after it cures.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Are you guys sure? "Repaint the whole thing?" There's GOT to be some shop somewhere that knows how to squirt on some clear coat and blend it in. The silver has not been removed so the color is still there.
The quality body shop told you the right way to fix the paint. Any shop can squirt some clear coat on the paint but to do the job right to where the repaint of the affected panel is nearly indistiquishable from factory the shop knows what has to be done.

Understand we're not talking about repainting the whole car just the area you damaged and some distance away so there's not abrupt change in the paint color/shade/tint from panel to panel. It is this that will draw the bad eye of some prospective buyer or used car evaluator when you go to trade the car in.

If the shop matches the paint thickness profile of the factory paint the job's as good as factory and the car's back the way it was before your unfortunate experience.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:40 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have them **** a little clear on it. Then wet sand and blend in. Even if you still notice it it's likely because you know where to look. It's worth the effort to see the result for minimal $$ before laying out for a total panel respray.

Although I don't usually do things with resale value in mind I would try to minimize what is there and keep the factory paint intact in the event you ever sell. Anybody would be highly suspect if it was a repaint versus seeing a small blem.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:22 AM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

keep as much factory finish as possible...a paint meter at resale or trade will show enough discrepancy to "cost" you a few grand when you decide you want the new 918

Quick Reply: Screwed Up Paint -- My fault!