Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of a Carrera instead of GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The OP's thoughts are exactly why I bought a Carrrera S instead of a turbo or GT3. I got a decent discount (at the time) on my 997 and the GT3/turbos were almost on dealer lots at MSRP - and it was around $25k more for GT3 the way I wanted it, and $35k more for the turbo.

Unless you have oodles of disposable cash for these cars and value isn't a priority, you have to at least seriously consider whether those price margins are worth it for the extra performance, and lack of benefits for a more suitable daily driver. Same for the turbo & lacking the same steering feel that a Carrera or GT3 has. I don't doubt the GT3 & turbo are superior in some aspects, but also bear in mind they are clearly inferior in others.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:56 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO, go for a lightly used GT3 (997.2 if you can find it, otherwise 997.1)
PASM is great for smoothing the bumps in the road - you feel the imperfections, but they don't rattle your skeleton the way old sports cars would.

If you drive in Montreal (****ty roads), it's all out the window though.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:51 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Personally, I would get rig of the NAV and the 19" wheels and use that money to get the colour you want.

NAV is a waste of $2k. Why pay that when you get the same thing for $200 from best buy & you probably already have it on your phone anyway! And, to be honest, getting lost in a Porsche is great - keeps you in the car longer

The alternative is to look for a 2009 or 2010 car with the colours and options you want, get it CPO and you're good for 4-5 years... When I was at the dealer yesterday a lady brought in her 2 year old C2S cab and she has put 4k miles on it in those 2 years - a bargain car if you can find one.
Kuhan - a logical approach but I'm not tha tlogical;-) I like fiddling with nav on road trips (ETA, following the map and all that) and I like it to be integrated. As for the 19's...see my avatar. I'm kinda into the wheels;-)
Old 06-30-2010, 03:03 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My brother has a 997 GT3 that got me hooked on the GT3 at the track. I was looking to buy a white 997 GT3 when I came accross a black `06 C2S 997 which I ended up buying... go figure.
Very happy with my decision though as the C2S is much a more flexible car for daily driving, track and touring.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:09 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

If your happy w/ the C2, then go for it and save the money. Have you seen the Alcantera wheel? My friend was "stuck" with it, the shifter and e-brake, cause he bought a leftover. It is fugly and was like $3k in options!! Just add some fuzzy black dice and you'll be all set!

He hates it and is selling the trio
Old 06-30-2010, 04:00 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 231 Posts

I love my Carrera and it will be intended as my daily driver in Canada when we return. I'd hate driving a GT3 daily for the wear and tear, potholes, Ontario drivers, etc. Such an expensive car to put alot of km's on...but that's just the way I see it.

I don't know your exact position but I love the idea of having a modern Carrera (997 or 998) and then a nice little 60's era 911 to use for weekends etc.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:20 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally personal options but here's my take:

Drop the 19" wheels and go with the base cheapest ones available. Upgrade with aftermarket units (especially if you're 'into' wheels)

Go full leather interior, wears much better and makes resale or long term enjoyment better.

Test drive a PDK before you write the option off. It's a wonderful system.

The GT3 will feel more like your 964. C2 is an incredible car but if you EVER think you might start tracking, get the S. It really bridges the gap between the GT3 and Carrera nicely.

GL and enjoy the the shopping!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:08 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are considering a GT3 or a Carrera I would go for the middle ground and get a Carrera S. Don't think you would be disappointed. I went from an 08 C2S, great car, to a 10 GT3. There is a big difference and i would imagine a whole lot more between a 3 and a standard Carrera. The S gives you the best of both worlds and if a GT3 is even a remote a consideration then you won't be disapointed with the S. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
I'd hate driving a GT3 daily for the wear and tear, potholes, Ontario drivers, etc. Such an expensive car to put alot of km's on...but that's just the way I see it.

Its a car, expensive or not. Its gonna depreciate like a stone, so you may as well get some use out of it while its doing so.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:20 PM
gray911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please read the article on Total 911 Issue 62 >> Why the basic 997 Carrera is so good. A few valid points they pointed out.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:59 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you search on my RonCT name as OP and throw in some key words like GT3 you'll probably find a few of my threads about why I went from 997.1S to 997.1GT3 and then to a 997.2S as the perfect "do it all well" Porsche. Still feel that way about 18 months later. A few suggestions:

Don't do the 911 badge - it's not factory. But do delete the badge altogether - who cares if the guy behind you can read what model Porsche just passed him? I always found badges wax, leaf, and bug traps.

Drop the alcantara steering wheel. I didn't like the one in my GT3 and many reports of people replacing them with leather ones. It's a funky fabric that doesn't do well over time (hairs lay down).

Sport seats meaning the "regular" sport seats and not the Sport Buckets? Either seat is fine, but very different. My 09 came with Sports, which I loved. For the track I picked up a set of Buckets and they are very comfortable, just harder to get into and out of.

Honestly, don't upsize the wheels. The 18s are fantastic and have plenty of grip. The best part is the 18" sidewall absorbs more of the imperfections in the roads, makes the system a little more compliant. Sport PASM on 19s is bearable, but on 18s (as in my track wheels / tires) it's just a little more civil. Not at all a harsh ride mind you.

Never understood why people get 5mm wheel spacers. If you were willing to spend the money for spacers and 19s, instead I'd get a set of OZ Aleg's at Tire Rack. Then you'll have a "custom" wheel in 8.5x18 front and 11x18 rear that will be lighter than stock. Keep the 235s that came with the car up front and put some 295s on the 11s.

I LOVE the SportPASM!!!

NAV is expensive but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Built into the car and it's much better than the last version.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:07 PM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Personal preference of course, but having driven a 997.1 GT3 I found it hard to get back in my 997.2 C2S.

Quick Reply: Thinking of a Carrera instead of GT3