997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am probably jinxing myself, but ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010 | 03:10 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Default I am probably jinxing myself, but ...

Taking the 997 on a roadd trip July 4th.

Will Porsche Raodside assistance be available on a holiday weekend?

I do have a spare.

Just wondering?
Old 06-28-2010 | 03:21 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Unless your car has not been properly cared for, why would you be worried about taking it on a road trip?
Old 06-28-2010 | 03:28 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

pretty sure they are available 24/7..

if you have a spare you should be fine, id get a plug kit too just incase.. always 10x more handy than a spare.
Old 06-28-2010 | 04:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by crw

I do have a spare.

Just wondering?
Yes, but with a holiday weekend since the roadside assistence is provided by tow truck companies their operators can be tied up with other calls. Same goes if you have a motor club membership. If you break down somewhere remote you may be waiting a while cause the operator responding to another call. Accidents/emergency calls take priority of course.

Time to worry about the car is *BEFORE* you leave on a road trip.

Always have services up to date and don't leave with say just a "tiny" coolant leak that requires topping up once every couple of weeks or a tire you have to add air to every few days.

What I do is have the car serviced -- sometimes just an oil/filter change -- a week or so before I'm due to leave and arrange while having it serviced to have the tech give the car a check over.

While the car in air we look at bottom of car for any fluid leaks, spin the tires looking for anything in a tire, check the CV boots, hoses, lines, etc. Just a general inspection. Found my Boxster missing some nuts on the stiffener panel once but almost always nothing ever turns up.

Then when I hit the road I tell myself if the car acts up I'll either call and have someone pick it up and have it fixed, sell it or just shove the damn thing over a cliff and then think no more about the car and just enjoy my trip. Course, I keep an eye on fluids and tires whenever I stop to fill up the car's gas tank or before I set out in the morning from the hotel.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-28-2010 | 04:27 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Yes, but with a holiday weekend since the roadside assistence is provided by tow truck companies their operators can be tied up with other calls. Same goes if you have a motor club membership. If you break down somewhere remote you may be waiting a while cause the operator responding to another call. Accidents/emergency calls take priority of course.

Macster.
+1. I got suck once in Portland raceway on a weekend, they were VERY VERY slow to respond. I called many times before someone picking up. Then all they do is to call a tow truck company on their cost to come and tow it to CLOSEST Porsche dealership, which for me was in ANOTHER country... Getting a tow truck on a busy weekend was also an issue, minimum an hr wait.

So, I took matters into my own hands... fixed my tire, drove gingerly back home, but it ruined my track day!
Old 06-28-2010 | 05:06 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crw

I do have a spare.

Just wondering?
Have you tried calling Porsche's roadside information number for the answer to this question?
Old 06-28-2010 | 07:13 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

If your tires are a close to replacement stage you may want to consider that before your adventure.

Quick Reply: I am probably jinxing myself, but ...