Sponsored by:

DME read and driving monkeys?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DME read and driving monkeys?

So I just got my 911 and of course a few of my friends have asked for a go. Naturally they have been pushing the car to quite high revs and I started to worry a little about the warranty vs the DME read in the event something happens.

To my understanding, DME reads in very high rev ranges are only possible through an incorrect downshift so someone spanking the car normally should not create reads in the 4-6 range, maybe only in the 3 range if they hit the limit.

Am I right?

So I shouldn't be worried about driving the car to the red line, just make sure it doesn't go over by a silly downshift?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
So I just got my 911 and of course a few of my friends have asked for a go. Naturally they have been pushing the car to quite high revs and I started to worry a little about the warranty vs the DME read in the event something happens.

To my understanding, DME reads in very high rev ranges are only possible through an incorrect downshift so someone spanking the car normally should not create reads in the 4-6 range, maybe only in the 3 range if they hit the limit.

Am I right?

So I shouldn't be worried about driving the car to the red line, just make sure it doesn't go over by a silly downshift?
I think you're correct although there are other folks with more knowledge of the DME over-rev codes than me. OTOH, I think you're being overly generous with your new 911. Call me tight, but I'd be eliminating the "driving monkey" seat time.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:45 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think you're correct although there are other folks with more knowledge of the DME over-rev codes than me. OTOH, I think you're being overly generous with your new 911. Call me tight, but I'd be eliminating the "driving monkey" seat time.
+1

Yet another good reason to buy your used Porsches from the old guys.

Phil
Old 06-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
OTOH, I think you're being overly generous with your new 911. Call me tight, but I'd be eliminating the "driving monkey" seat time.
I would but I have been that "driving monkey" in their cars on more than one occasion
Old 06-24-2010, 05:48 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait until the engine oil reaches normal operating temperature and then you should be fine. The computer won't let you over rev the engine from acceleration. You'll just hit the limiter. Happens to me all the time at the track.

Quick Reply: DME read and driving monkeys?