Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waxing Your 997--Do You Do It Yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010 | 07:41 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by slider
not only that, but a porter cable will get you such a better result, especially when working on removing swirls, water spots and other minor blemishes. It's very paint friendly - you'll love finish
Agreed, a 7424 PC polisher is the best style to use, there are others close to it, but as long as it's a RO, you're fine. Add the correct backing plate and several polishing and finishing pads and your're good to go.

DO NOT order cutting pads unless you have severe swirls and know how to use it with the correct polish. Most swirls can be removed on Porsche finish with a polishing pad and a good polish, non-finishing, one with a bit more cut and you'll have a perfect finish.

As always, clay the finish prior to any polishing and wash one last time to remove any loose dirt that the clay did not pickup.

Deanski
Old 06-24-2010 | 07:45 PM
WTFitsCarter
Advanced

Best thing on earth is hitting your car with a clay bar then waxing her up. I use P21S amazing wax! If they sell it in a normal store it just doesn't cut it.
Old 06-24-2010 | 08:03 PM
vexed
Racer

Washing/claying/polishing with the PC/waxing is quality time. As much as I am sure a pro could do a better job, I take pride in keeping my car clean for those 5 minutes a black car stays clean.
Old 06-24-2010 | 08:58 PM
Pincomar
Advanced

At Law,

My advice is don't let anyone touch the paint on your car except yourself. Search this forum for advice on products and technique.

Mark.
Old 06-25-2010 | 01:12 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by slider
not only that, but a porter cable will get you such a better result, especially when working on removing swirls, water spots and other minor blemishes. It's very paint friendly - you'll love finish
Agree. My Porter Cable is a pleasure to use and gives a great result.
Old 06-25-2010 | 02:16 PM
kosmo
Race Director

wax on. wax off. sorry i couldnt resist.
Old 06-25-2010 | 02:58 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Originally Posted by RonCT
For many it's auto-therapy. I spend about 30 minutes washing and drying my car whenever it needs it, which gives me a chance to unwind. When I wax it's more like an hour - twice a year. You would be surprised at just how good a job you can do yourself - as good if not better than a professional.
I just can't imagine how some of you wash and wax in an hour and a half. It takes me an hour and a half just to wash when I'm only doing a casual wash. I know I'm old and slow, but I must be missing something here.
Old 06-25-2010 | 03:20 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
I just can't imagine how some of you wash and wax in an hour and a half. It takes me an hour and a half just to wash when I'm only doing a casual wash. I know I'm old and slow, but I must be missing something here.
I am the same way.

A quick wash for me (exterior only) takes a minimum hour and a half.
It took me two hours last night.

If I really go to town, I'll be washing for an entire Saturday.
Old 06-25-2010 | 04:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Originally Posted by At Law
I am the same way.

A quick wash for me (exterior only) takes a minimum hour and a half.
It took me two hours last night.

If I really go to town, I'll be washing for an entire Saturday.
Gotta agree with Red Horse and At Law. I can whip out a quick wash job on my wife's Highlander Hybrid in 30-40 minutes but the Porsche is a different story. Vacuum, clean wheels, wash car, dry exterior, door sills, under hood and engine compartment, compressed air to dry brakes to minimize black spotting inside wheels....well you get the picture. Hour and a half minimum for me too. Add more complete detailing including waxing, and I can also spend a full day.
Guess I'm old and slow too....(but highly motivated)
Old 06-25-2010 | 07:41 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Guess I'm old and slow too....(but highly motivated)
I am kind of young (34), but very, very slow....
Old 06-26-2010 | 09:18 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

took me 5 hours a few Saturday's ago. Wash, clay, wax, wheel wax, interior .... still looks good but is going to get washed today and some Einszett spray wax!
Old 06-26-2010 | 03:20 PM
Wills
Advanced

On top of weekly washes (using 2 bucket method) I clay and hand wax my car every 2 months with Swissvax products they are great to work with and leave the paint work looking wet and shiny. (its not the cheapest as a polishing oil and wax pot will cost you £200 min but worth it IMHO)

As far as polishing is concerned I'd leave that to the pros unless you are patient and quite good with your hands, my car is only 10 months old so the paint work is still in good condition, it will get taken to a detailer for its first birthday.
Old 06-30-2010 | 01:39 PM
Wdenninger
Track Day

I do it myself, and really enjoy it, but I struggle big time with removing the brake dust from inside the wheel rims...anyone have any approaches that work well?
Old 06-30-2010 | 03:22 PM
vexed
Racer

Originally Posted by Wdenninger
I do it myself, and really enjoy it, but I struggle big time with removing the brake dust from inside the wheel rims...anyone have any approaches that work well?
Not sure which rims you have but one of these works well

There is a smaller version of that brush that works well for spokes and corners.
Old 06-30-2010 | 03:29 PM
winkingchef
Pro

I am a busy Silly Con Valley person and as the goblins say: "time is money, friend"

I have had spectacular results from California Detailing in San Francisco.
They polish your clearcoat and put on three (3) coats of hard, high-quality aircraft wax.
They also did wonderful things to restore my interior.

My paint looks showroom new (no scratches at all) 18 months later and rain still beads on the paint.
I can't speak more highly of their service.
I do wash it by hand with this sweet sponge and apply Techshine afterwards.

No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer.

Quick Reply: Waxing Your 997--Do You Do It Yourself?