Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Tip (997.1) (old news??)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:46 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Change Tip (997.1) (old news??)

I just changed the oil in my 05 for the 3rd time, easiest car on the planet (at least of the cars I've owned..); I've had 911SC, 964 C2, 993 C4S, 944S2, now the 997, along with assorted others. I only included this list of Porsches because if you've ever changed the oil in an air cooled 911 yourself, ESPECIALLY the 993 variant, you know how easy this one is! Anyhow, the purpose of this post is to air a hint that many of you probably already use, but I haven't seen it in my searches when I was looking up the oil change procedure after I bought this car.

Someone posted that their car showed an "alarm" type display on restarting after the oil change that indicated that the oil level was dangerously low, for a few seconds, while it discovered that it had new fill. With a cannister filter like these cars (and others) have, I put the filter element into the cannister and fill it with oil BEFORE I screw the cannister/housing back onto the engine. That way there is another source, from another direction when you restart. Of course it will only work on a car like ours where the filter housing attaches from the bottom! (I don't know where I learned this, but I did not come up with it myself.) I never get any oil light/alert/alarm upon restarting and never hear even the slightest tick from the valve train on the start up just after adding the new oil.

As my title says, I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but it gave me something to do while I let the car cool so I could check level and top it off.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:59 PM
randysmithla
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which direction for filter and oil plug/screw

I'm changing my oil on my 07 S. Counter clockwise to take off and clockwise for reinstall?

Thanks..

R
Old 06-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

I read about that alarm too and like you filled the canister with oil hence no problems.

How many miles do you do before doing another change?
Old 06-12-2010, 05:38 PM
McCulla
Pro

Randysmithla, I think your "S" engine is different than mine (??), someone else better advise you...but I haven't encountered counterclockwise tightening since 60's vintage Chrysler products. Anybody that can help him?

Alfaguy, I'm changing about every 3000 miles. Probably way-overkill, but I'm a creature of habit and still following the pattern I've had since mineral based oils. I've actually increased from 2K to 3K; sad I know. Keeping Mobil's cash flow going.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:36 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Just changed the oil on my 997.1, and did the same thing. I have a book on the 996 I owned previously that provided me with the suggestion to fill the canister with oil prior to installing. No alarm message on start up. I'll probably change every 5k miles or less.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:22 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by McCulla
Randysmithla, I think your "S" engine is different than mine (??), someone else better advise you...but I haven't encountered counterclockwise tightening since 60's vintage Chrysler products. Anybody that can help him?

Alfaguy, I'm changing about every 3000 miles. Probably way-overkill, but I'm a creature of habit and still following the pattern I've had since mineral based oils. I've actually increased from 2K to 3K; sad I know. Keeping Mobil's cash flow going.
Randy said "counter clockwise to take off" (remove) not to tighten.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:30 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by McCulla
I just changed the oil in my 05 for the 3rd time, easiest car on the planet (at least of the cars I've owned..); I've had 911SC, 964 C2, 993 C4S, 944S2, now the 997, along with assorted others. I only included this list of Porsches because if you've ever changed the oil in an air cooled 911 yourself, ESPECIALLY the 993 variant, you know how easy this one is! Anyhow, the purpose of this post is to air a hint that many of you probably already use, but I haven't seen it in my searches when I was looking up the oil change procedure after I bought this car.

Someone posted that their car showed an "alarm" type display on restarting after the oil change that indicated that the oil level was dangerously low, for a few seconds, while it discovered that it had new fill. With a cannister filter like these cars (and others) have, I put the filter element into the cannister and fill it with oil BEFORE I screw the cannister/housing back onto the engine. That way there is another source, from another direction when you restart. Of course it will only work on a car like ours where the filter housing attaches from the bottom! (I don't know where I learned this, but I did not come up with it myself.) I never get any oil light/alert/alarm upon restarting and never hear even the slightest tick from the valve train on the start up just after adding the new oil.

As my title says, I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but it gave me something to do while I let the car cool so I could check level and top it off.
Thanks for the tip. I haven't yet changed mine. Do you have a lift? I'm concerned how I'd elevate the car and don't know if I could squeeze under it comfortably to do the job.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:07 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

A pair of low wide ramps helps with access to sump
Old 06-13-2010, 03:33 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's just enough room to change the oil and oil filter on a 997.1 with the car on the ground. No need for ramps or a lift, but the space is very tight.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:41 AM
McCulla
Pro

gota911, I read the "counterclockwise to loosen" part correctly, I responded like I did because it sounded like he was uncertain about the direction..

Docfink, regarding the question about having a lift, no I don't have one. I followed the recommendation of a post a while back to back out of my garage stall just to where my driveway begins to slope downward from the flat garage floor. That gives me plenty of clearance, even to get a fairly tall drain pan underneath. It seems (like one of the posters here says) that it can be done on a flat surface, but it might take a shallow drain pan. No lift necessary.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Does anyone know the exact quantity of oil including filter that goes into a 997.1

I put 8.75 litres into mine. I am not sure what that is in US quarts but it would be great to know the exact amount so as to avoid the endless careful topping up needed to get the fill just right.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Approx oil capacities with filter:
997.1 has 8.5 liters or US 8.9 quarts
(997.2 has 7.5 liters or US 7.9 quarts)
Old 06-13-2010, 01:42 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

I'm still looking for a better oil catch pan. I used the one recommended by Tim (gota911) and it does work very well with the larger opening. The large opening is wide enough to handle the high flow of hot oil out of the motor, so less hits the garage floor, but I filled the thing to the top. The small cap on the side of the container doesn't make a strong seal, so I had to use 2 and transferred the used oil back to the empty bottles quickly. It's the best one I've seen out there, but bigger would be cool.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:33 AM
randysmithla
Track Day

Default Too easy

Changed my oil/filter today....took maybe 15/20 minutes. Next time will put a large plastic trash bad with newspapers to keep oil/mess to minimum...
This is so easy than expected....kids watched and said it looked like the 'Alien' movie when the oil drained.

Thanks for the string on this effort

R
Old 06-14-2010, 12:50 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember, 19 ft.lbs on the filter and 37 ft.lbs on the drain plug and always use a new gasket on both!

Quick Reply: Oil Change Tip (997.1) (old news??)