Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm a PDK paddle shift convert

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Mike in CA...wait till you get the car to the track....the paddle shift wheel will really shine.

For those of you thinking you will have issues in a "tight 180 degree turn" you need to get your braking and shifting done before the turn. You do not down shift in the middle of that type of turn. Please go invest in either some DE's or PSDS.

Mike, your coco interior has inspired me to have Coco Krispies for breakfast! ;-)
Old 06-12-2010, 12:00 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotta have the paddles! Nice. You fixed the problem that never should have been created.

Makes complete sense to us western left-to-right readers that the + on the right and the - is on the left.

The toggles are backwards aren't they?

Then the "stick." That's also still messed up isn't it? Downshift by pulling back, upshift by pushing forward.

Makes no sense the way Porsche set the stick up. Because when rolling to a stop sign, as kids with a manual, pushing forward meant downshifting. It's ingrained in our brains that forward is down because rolling to a stop there's not much happening so it's easier and natural to learn to associate downshifting with pushing the shift lever forward.

I'm sure there's some racing logic behind why Porsche decided to do things backwards. Talk about total non-intuitive inconvenience for about 95% of their customers! What's the point of THAT? Same logic as having a lap timer on the dash?
Old 06-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
So they rotate with your hands when you turn the wheel so that, if you maintain a constant grip, they are always to hand should you need a downshift mid corner (properly blipped of course to avoid unsettling the car)?
Yes, they are are attached to and rotate with the wheel. I've never driven a car where the paddles are fixed and don't rotate with the steering wheel (I know some are like that), but it seems that would be awkward.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mdrums
For those of you thinking you will have issues in a "tight 180 degree turn" you need to get your braking and shifting done before the turn. You do not down shift in the middle of that type of turn. Please go invest in either some DE's or PSDS.

Mike, your coco interior has inspired me to have Coco Krispies for breakfast! ;-)
Amen. Mike, enjoy those Krispies!
Old 06-12-2010, 02:30 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Choice is good so everyone is happy. Those who were exposed to paddles prefer those but that does not mean redundant buttons are bad. Just different. I honestly prefer them. Life is good.

Mike: Being able to downshift in a turn is a big plus PDK offers. You could not do it before. You can now. Advantage PDK.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mike - Thanks for the write-up. I have been batting this idea around for a while, but considering I don't track my 911 and the buttons are fine, I think the paddle wheel is overkill. It looks great in your car... congrats!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:59 PM
ray09c2s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK paddles

Just curious why you don't use the "sport plus" setting on the track....I was having similar problems with the paddle shifters, but once I went to sport plus, there's no going back! Only have used in 3 events at Mid Ohio & VIR, but love the PDK!

Regards, Ray
Old 06-13-2010, 05:59 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

perfect match for an "S" with the chromey trim, i wish they had one in volcano grey to match non S better, also wish they did pdk trim in volcano grey!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ray09c2s
Just curious why you don't use the "sport plus" setting on the track....I was having similar problems with the paddle shifters, but once I went to sport plus, there's no going back! Only have used in 3 events at Mid Ohio & VIR, but love the PDK!

Regards, Ray
Ray, I do often use "sport plus" on track and have found it to be amazingly good at anticipating and selecting the correct gear. Even Walter Rorhl finds he can't beat the sport plus program shifting manually, so what chance do I have. Point is, even in sport plus it is still possible to manually override with the buttons. Because of their placement, that's what was happening by accident; in particular unintended upshifts while working the wheel in tight turns, which was very unwelcome (and slow)! With the paddles, it should be much harder to trigger an unwanted shift.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 06-13-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:44 AM
ray09c2s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Ray, I do often use "sport plus" on track and have found it to be amazingly good at anticipating and selecting the correct gear. Even Walter Rorhl finds he can't beat the sport plus program shifting manually, so what chance do I have. Point is, even in sport plus it is still possible to manually override with the buttons. Because of their placement, that's what was happening by accident; in particular unintended upshifts while working the wheel in tight turns, which was very unwelcome (and slow)! With the paddles, it should be much harder to trigger an unwanted shift.
Mike, fortunately I've not had the problem with sports plus, but did when using sport setting and manually shifting...certainly would prefer the standard paddle shifters in back only, but that wasn't an option. I do love the PDK for normal road driving, as there are lot's of times when driving to or from the track, barely doing 2000rpm at over 70mph makes the highway miles easier to take!
Regards, Ray
Old 06-14-2010, 12:07 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Well, I'm a PDK paddle shift wheel convert. .
thanks for the info.

good choice on the interior color!

Craig
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2010, 02:32 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ray09c2s

Regards, Ray
I do use Sport Plus at the track.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 539 Posts

I've used sport plus both with the buttons and now with my new paddle wheel on the track. I had the same issue noted above with the unintended upshift with the buttons but never with the paddles. If I have the car in manual and rotate the wheel 180 in a tight corner it does take some thought to reach the paddles.

I just got back from a trip to the Dragon and the PDK in sport/manual with the paddles was an absolute ball to drive.

Quick Reply: I'm a PDK paddle shift convert