Sponsored by:

More Infofrmation Available Through Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:20 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default More Infofrmation Available Through Sport Chrono

If you are a data junkie this software is for you.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/09/c...rt-chrono-plu/
Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by vexed
If you are a data junkie this software is for you.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/09/c...rt-chrono-plu/
Yes. The file generated is a CSV file with identified headers that can easily be analyzed on an Excel spreadsheet.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it's cool that they added this feature and it'll make a fun toy, but the timing data is still imprecise stemming from its reliance on manual lap recording via the steering column stalk. It's hard to get too enthused about having more data if it's not any more accurate than it was before.

What would be cool would be a way to take the environmental data (which is less precision-constrained) and mating it with good telemetry from a proper track data logger. I like the gear selector, temperature stuff.

It's still not enough to get me to buy the sport chrono, though. I've had it on two cars now and I swear never again unless they make it work right.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

The point is that the data file gives you a chance to plot RPM, G-force, speed, etc., vs time and a lot of analysis can be made. One can correlate a track (or road) starights/turns with that data.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 141 Posts

Strange that Porsche would leave this to the aftermarket. If they marketed all of the data acquisition potential (and removed the 'wart'), the option would have even more takers.

Incorporate a programmable start/finish line into the GPS with a map overlay, and it would be even better for track days.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Incorporate a programmable start/finish line into the GPS with a map overlay, and it would be even better for track days.
Heck yeah, that's what makes the sport chrono so puzzling. Why wouldn't it use GPS to mark laps? They're soooo close, but still manage to miss even with the 997.2 iteration of the option. Adding that one small feature would make it vastly superior to a TraqMate (same basic cost as the Sport Chrono option) but without it, it's not nearly as good.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

Rather than a reliance upon GPS for a start/finish line, how about a Bluetooth device that you can leave at the side of the line that senses doppler position (opening and closing) and then knows precisely when you cross closest to the sender?

Quick Reply: More Infofrmation Available Through Sport Chrono