Sponsored by:

D Carbon parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:20 AM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D Carbon parts

I am wanting to add a few extra carbon interior parts on my Turbo S Cab. When it comes in this fall. I have been looking online at DB Carbon , M Carbon , Bumper Plugs DB Carbon prices are somewhat cheaper.. Has anyone ever used any of their product. Is the quality on par with the other brands. I love to save money but I want a quality product anyone have any exp.. In this? Mainly want to add keyhole in carbon maybe lid on console few others. Are these parts hard for a DIY that has never done before or should I get a body shop to install for me?
Old 06-08-2010, 01:34 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you looking to go carbon because of weight or due to visual considerations? If weight, save your time and money, you'll likely be taking off less combined weight then you could shed by going to the bathroom before. If you're doing it for visual, be careful not to overdo it. While small touches here and there may look nice, it can easily become too much and give an adverse effect.

I looked into the carbon parts pretty seriously, and in the end, decided to stay clear of them. There were quite a few reports (more then I was comfortable with) of the interior carbon parts warping and pealing due to environmental causes (heat) over time. Aftermarket parts, while some manufactured to a higher standard then others, had issues with fitment and weave match (hard to get the weave to match OEM exactly). The price was just too great to really justify their use. I don't recall the exact specifics, but I remember a few of the carbon parts I looked into were actually heavier then the standard part, at almost triple the price. Also to keep in mind is that when you go to sell, you will likely get not even half what you paid back for all the options you added on. For some this isn't as big a deal as others (planning on holding onto car for a while, etc) but is still something to consider.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:52 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

There's no accounting for taste, so do what you like. That said, I find unnecessary carbon fiber to be very unattractive. If it's not lighter or doesn't need to be stronger I'll stick with plastic. I've bought plenty of stuff from Bumperplugs and I'd recommend them as a vendor. If they stock it, it's not crap.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nugget
There's no accounting for taste, so do what you like. That said, I find unnecessary carbon fiber to be very unattractive. If it's not lighter or doesn't need to be stronger I'll stick with plastic. I've bought plenty of stuff from Bumperplugs and I'd recommend them as a vendor. If they stock it, it's not crap.
I am not wanting Carbon to eliminate weight. I like the stuff. I have ordered Carbon Int Package with Illuminated Sills and Console. My thought was to do Key Insert and Maybe top of console.
Seat Belt Pillars thats about it. I have read that some parts are not as good as others.

This will be my Toy. My plan is that this car will be in my garage when they bury me. I will be 50 next Bday. I have ordered everything I want so there will be no wish I had got that going on.

This will not be my last Pcar or Car. Buying wife a Cayenne and one day when all kids are gone I will waste some money on a 356 or maybe a Ferrari is business stays good.

But I do like the Carbon Fiber look. Just Dont want to try to save buck and be sorry. But I Dont want to pay double if there is no big difference. Plus not sure how hard this stuff is to install I am sure its not that difficult but I would hate to mess up my new car.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:58 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have carbon in my car..came with it. You have to balance between "accenting" the interior with carbon and "too much" carbon. I really think too much looks BAD. This is what my car came with...and I love it.

-door pocket lid
-door panel linings (would like to get..).
-middle console storage box lid
-trim strips below instrument and cover of cup holders
-steering wheel
-tiptronic shifter and switch
-hand brake

Its just enought to say.."wow, that looks nice" but not so much that it is in your face. Also, the few xtra pieces I bought came from MCarbon and its an identical match to what the dealer added to the car. Finally, I have not had any yellowing or peeling issues and I have 25k on the odometer. The car does sleep in the garage at night.
abe

Last edited by abe; 06-08-2010 at 10:19 PM.

Quick Reply: D Carbon parts