Need opinion on this deal: 06 C4S cab

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:41 PM
403portside
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Need opinion on this deal: 06 C4S cab

All:

As a follow up to yesterday's thread about the 06 C2S cab with 2K miles, I have found an 06 C4S cab with 3,300 miles. This one is more appealing to me because it has a black cloth top vs. the grey. Here are the specs:

Slate grey/ stone grey supple leather/black top
6 speed manual
Power seats
self dimming mirrors
heated seats
19" sport design wheels
Bose sound package
colored wheel crests
Sport chrono plus
5mm wheel spacers

New MSRP was $108K and dealer won't go lower than $67K. Good deal or not?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Seems high to me. Why the 4WD? Something about a 4 that appeals to you? Recall that with a 4 you will have reduced trunk space--already a disadvantage with a cab. Only worse for a 4.

In terms of equipment, that car was a fairly plain jane stripped car. MSRP in 2006 at $108K was nothing when the base price was about $101. Thus, it just shouldn't command that sort of money.

We had a grey cab around here some time back with a stone grey top--and it looked terrific. Rare actually.

Last edited by Edgy01; 06-06-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:09 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have nearly this exact car (though black interior with non-supple leather and a few other options) and to me, this color is stunning in an elegant, understated way, especially in full sunlight. Have you seen it in person? Supple leather is not for everyone, so I'd recommend valuating it up close. If it's not local, let me know and I can show you mine (seems we're both in SF)

If it passes PPI at a separate dealer and is CPO, given the mileage, it's a great deal. IMHO.
I paid $57k for mine a year ago, but mine came with 28k miles.
PM me if you want me to act as a negotiating point with your dealer.

As for 4WD,it's really your call. I like the extra precision of 4WD on sandy/gritty roads when driving fast (for me, powersliding is for TV shows)
Also, all the narrowbody folks will be jealous of your junk in the trunk.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:37 PM
403portside
Pro

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Seems high to me. Why the 4WD? Something about a 4 that appeals to you? Recall that with a 4 you will have reduced trunk space--already a disadvantage with a cab. Only worse for a 4.

In terms of equipment, that car was a fairly plain jane stripped car. MSRP in 2006 at $108K was nothing when the base price was about $101. Thus, it just shouldn't command that sort of money.

We had a grey cab around here some time back with a stone grey top--and it looked terrific. Rare actually.
I actually like the feel of the 4S better than the S. Also like the wider rear end.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:39 PM
403portside
Pro

Winking chef:

Thank you for the offer. I might take you up on that. I live in SOMA/South Beach.

The dealer won't go less than 67K. The car is not CPO'ed and warranty ends in September.

Basically, this comes down to paying the extra 2K or so to get the car I want when I want it.

Still torn. Any thoughts or encouragement appreciated. I will likely need to decide in a few hours.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by winkingchef
I have nearly this exact car (though black interior with non-supple leather and a few other options) and to me, this color is stunning in an elegant, understated way, especially in full sunlight. Have you seen it in person? Supple leather is not for everyone, so I'd recommend valuating it up close. If it's not local, let me know and I can show you mine (seems we're both in SF)

If it passes PPI at a separate dealer and is CPO, given the mileage, it's a great deal. IMHO.
I paid $57k for mine a year ago, but mine came with 28k miles.
PM me if you want me to act as a negotiating point with your dealer.

As for 4WD,it's really your call. I like the extra precision of 4WD on sandy/gritty roads when driving fast (for me, powersliding is for TV shows)
Also, all the narrowbody folks will be jealous of your junk in the trunk.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:02 PM
bagombo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

67K seems too much.

I would much rather have the security of a CPO for 60K instead of 20 or 30 thousand less miles. The milage won't matter if the car starts breaking down and you don't have a warranty.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
Winking chef:

Thank you for the offer. I might take you up on that. I live in SOMA/South Beach.

The dealer won't go less than 67K. The car is not CPO'ed and warranty ends in September.

Basically, this comes down to paying the extra 2K or so to get the car I want when I want it.

Still torn. Any thoughts or encouragement appreciated. I will likely need to decide in a few hours.

Thanks.
Heres a pic of supple leather...comfy as hell.
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2010, 03:50 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Winking chef:

Thanks.
Hmm this is a tough call, and it really depends on how badly you want this particular car vs how much a "deal" is important to you. I will be working at home (SOMA) after 3pm today and could show you my car, but probably don't have time to help you out at the dealer or anything this week.

My opinion: low mileage cars are good, but I personally would not go in without some warranty (I got mine from Fidelity and it was extra). I'll PM you my phone number and we can talk more after 2
Old 06-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Kuhan
Racer

At the moment, there are 719 997s listed in the official Porsche pre-owned site.
Of these, 516 are manual
Of these, 72 are cabs
Of these, 31 are C4S
And of these 5 are <$70k - 3 black, 1 white, 1 blue

You are looking for a car which is in approx 0.7% of the available 997 fleet - a pretty rare bird.

So you should weigh up how long you have been looking for this car against the likelihood of finding another and compare that to the extra price you are having to pay to get the exact car you want.

One thing to note is that you are paying $2k for the CPO for essentially 2 years coverage as you are probably not going to do 97k miles in those two years. If you are going to keep this car a while, perhaps a longer coverage of just the major items (e.g. engine, transmission, hood) is money better spent? A friend of mine has a 996 cab and he has had nothing but trouble with it, especially when he found that the $2k warranty he bought does not cover the hood so he's going to be out another $1k fixing that...
Old 06-07-2010, 06:10 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently sold a 2006 Carrera S Cab Dark Olive Metallic with Full Leather Cocoa for $49,000. MSRP on that car was $106,000 with options and car had 37,000 miles. No paint work or damage excellent condition, New Tires, and CPO warranty until 04/26/2012. I was the second owner and I thought the buyer perhaps got the better deal but it did go to a good home in Colorado!
Old 06-07-2010, 11:43 PM
winkingchef
Pro

UPDATE: I met 403portside earlier this evening and we took a spin in my baby around my neighborhood.
I think we are both in agreement that Slate Grey is *the best* color, but I'll let him speak for what he's thinking to do as far as the above.

In any case, we definitely had a memorable time.

What was your favorite memory from our test drive?
(1) The off road handling testing on Harrison St. (thanks, SF City roadworks!)
(2) The domestic dispute in the middle of 6th St. that stopped traffic
(3) What was very likely a drug bust/murder investigation in progress on Naotoma (reason #37 why the SF Chronicle next door is going bankrupt)
(4) The midget with no legs who crossed in front of us on the mechanized wheelchair who said "hey, what're you doing in my car?"
I so wanted to snap a picture of #4, but I was in shock!

I hadn't washed her since I got back from Paso Robles last weekend, so this meeting convinced me to remedy that pronto - I am going to go wash the road dust off the car after work tomorrow and make her shine!

In any case, a memorable time. I'll PM you what we talked about given that the above antics of my neighborhood were probably pretty distracting.

Best of luck whatever you choose!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:13 AM
MJPereira
Instructor

I bought my C2S Cab March of '09 and although it was not a 4, I had all the same features plus red color gauges and CPO'd. The car had 16k on it and I paid 60k even. That was over a year ago. I think 67k is too high. I think the key is to be patient. There are plenty of cars coming in all the time. Don't let the dealer dictate the prices to you. I went to 5 dealers and waited one year before the car I really wanted ever came in. I don't regret my decision ever.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 PM
403portside
Pro

Default I've paused the deal

Hi All:

First off, thanks to winkingchef for showing me his car and giving me some valuable tips.

I had an epiphany last night, I must say. This deal would put me at $75K all in for a 4 year old car without warranty. I am going to pause the deal and think about it more.

Thanks for the advice everyone. The saga continues..
Old 06-08-2010, 06:38 PM
bave
Advanced

Thats a terrible deal, smart to pass.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:31 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All:

First off, thanks to winkingchef for showing me his car and giving me some valuable tips.

I had an epiphany last night, I must say. This deal would put me at $75K all in for a 4 year old car without warranty. I am going to pause the deal and think about it more.

Thanks for the advice everyone. The saga continues..
I think you can find a much better deal. Also I am pretty sure that if you dont contact the dealer they will make an offer for less money. If not, then walk away and find another car.

Quick Reply: Need opinion on this deal: 06 C4S cab