Sponsored by:

First track event in car

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First track event in car

Well, did my first track event yesterday in the new (to me that is) car. I have done about 5 DEs in my old 944 turbo over the pass couple years and enjoyed everyone. I went to Nelson's Ledges for a fun day yesterday and had a BLAST!!! In two weeks they are holding the 944 Fest Friday and Sat/Sun is the PCA DE which I will be doing. I have only been to Nelson's one other time about 5 years ago and not much has changed since then. I used the chrono when I was out on one of the sessions and ran 1:20-1:22 average with my best at 1:18.3 during that session. Only timed it for one session because I was always running into traffic so couldn't get a clean lap except for about 3 per session. Overall, VERY fun and can't wait to go back in 2 weeks and actually mess with my tire temps this time. I had set them to the full load when cold, which is like 37/44??... Now after reading around here, looks like I want to keep the rears about 36-39 hot and fronts a couple lbs less then the rear. Anyways, pictures are to follow, so don't worry!!!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:26 PM
afridi
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Just came back from my second ever track day in the 997. Great fun car to play with.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neslon was a shock after being at Mid Ohio several times, but a fun track nonetheless. I was going to go to Nelson with PCA in June too, but will be going to Mid Ohio that weekend. NASA is good to run with too and they have a Mid Ohio event in late July.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:21 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Living in Seattle, there's not much I miss about Ohio (having lived there for 25 years) -- except Mid Ohio. I really enjoyed that track.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:05 PM
lexart
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike1982
. . . . can't wait to go back in 2 weeks and actually mess with my tire temps this time. I had set them to the full load when cold, which is like 37/44??... Now after reading around here, looks like I want to keep the rears about 36-39 hot and fronts a couple lbs less then the rear. Anyways, pictures are to follow, so don't worry!!!
I'm just back from LRP, my first DE session in new to me TT. I love this track and this was my sixth day overall there. The tire temps usually go up about 6lbs from cold after your first session. I'm running PS2s, so for my optimal hot tire pressures I aimed for 36/39 hot. On a cool morning, I set cold pressure at 34/36 before first session and saw 38/42 hot right after I returned to my spot. The rear is definitely picking up more temps . . .

Bled it down to 36/39 hot and kept reducing the pressures a bit after each successive session to keep it at 36/39 hot optimal pressure. The rears would get quite sticky and start picking up a bit tire marbles but for most part 36/39 hot for PS2 worked well for me . . .

Quick Reply: First track event in car