Sponsored by:

Question about 5-point harness

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 03:16 PM
StevenB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about 5-point harness

I am interested in installing a 5-point harness in my '09 997 Carrera S and was wondering what, if any, my options are with stock comfort seats. I am guessing that the stock seats are not suited for a harness. What have people done to get around this?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:18 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

You can not run (safely) 5 pt harnesses with the stock comfort seats. This is what I did with my 997S when I had the need for harnesses.
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenB
I am interested in installing a 5-point harness in my '09 997 Carrera S and was wondering what, if any, my options are with stock comfort seats. I am guessing that the stock seats are not suited for a harness. What have people done to get around this?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
This has been discussed before, and the bottom line is, as you have guessed, there is not a proper way to use shoulder harnesses with the stock seats. The positioning of the belts relative to your torso is critical for safe use, and that positioning can't be achieved with the stock seats.

IMO the best, although expensive, solution is to retrofit the OEM sport buckets as they have pass throughs for shoulder and sub belts, and retain the factory side airbags. (Of course, you'll also need a roll bar or harness bar to mount them to). Other aftermarket seats will allow for safe harness installation, but you will lose the airbags for street driving unless you want to swap seats back and forth, which some people do.

This site has some good info on the considerations for correct mounting and positioning of the harness in your car.

http://www.sfifoundation.com/seatbelt.html
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2010, 08:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Like others have said ...stock seats will not work. Get the Sport Bucket seats shown in the pictures above. They are the best and only solution to retain the thorax air bag and keep the car compliant with federal guidlines.

Quick Reply: Question about 5-point harness