Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive engine compartment and external front fan usage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010 | 01:05 PM
avdiscolo
Advanced

Default Excessive engine compartment and external front fan usage?

My '06 C2S has about 32K miles on it now and is running great.

However, I've noticed for the last several months that these external fans are on almost all the time now. They start to come on intermittently when the water temp is about 125 degrees and by the time the oil temp gets to 200 degrees they are on constantly. This is definitely true for stop-and-go driving, and even after a leisurely highway drive. The fan usage doesn't seem to be dependent on temperature either. It also seems that when they come on, they are on full blast, because they are pretty loud. They go off and stay off when I shut down the ignition.

Of course, when my car was at the dealer for its 40K service a couple of weeks ago, they said that they did not detect any abnormal fan behavior (not surprising). They said they reflashed the "fan speed software fix," but that didn't change anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 06-04-2010 | 01:21 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

you need to check sensor readings but it is impossible to do without durametric or piwis so probably best idea would be to visit your dealer and ask them to check car while it shows normal 225 degrees oil and 175 degrees water and both fans are running.
Old 06-04-2010 | 01:48 PM
Bum
Advanced

Here is the name of the campaign from a while back related to the fans on our cars so you may want to verify this is the one they re-applied.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...light=campaign

Quick Reply: Excessive engine compartment and external front fan usage?