Sponsored by:

Clutch Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 03:30 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch Squeal

I have an 07 C2S with 20k miles on it. I haven't had one problem with it until last night. A few times when coming out on the clutch in first gear there was a slight squeal. What could that be? I'm very easy on the clutch, no track days, etc. It didn't do it every time, just a few times.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:20 PM
sizquik
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue and some have said it is the clutch throwout bearing making noise. It seems to rear it's ugly head more often after I've been in stop and go traffic.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:08 AM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had been in stop and go traffic when it happened. I'm only a few months away from being out of warranty. What's the best way to go about getting this fixed under warranty?
Old 06-03-2010, 04:16 PM
jbetlyon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have had the same symptom. When cold or not driven for a while, no problem. After driving a while, and in warmer weather; the clutch chirps when going from a stop in stop and go, or from a light.

I did report it to the dealer a year ago; but they came back as non-reproducible. (cold?)

I am very certain it is not technique (5th 911), but it can be managed by starting with a higher rev etc. But with normal driving, it is pretty consistent.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:25 PM
luisimo
Instructor

Unhappy

Ditto! At first, I thought it was the serpantine belt. But as it has been replace, I know it is the clutch now.

Is this bad for the car or just annoying. When I took it to the dealersip last year they told me that they couldn't reproduce it.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:29 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does it too. I have heard of it being fixed under warranty. Its apparently completely random for me but does happen consistently enough to have them hear it. I just don't like taking it to the dealer as they seem to find ways to charge me despite it being under warranty.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:46 PM
luisimo
Instructor

Sorry for the repeat of the question...

Is this bad fir the car or just annoying?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by luisimo
Sorry for the repeat of the question...

Is this bad fir the car or just annoying?
Well, it certainly would be annoying and worse hearing it can only make one wonder if the noise indicates a more serious problem is in the cards.

It is not bad for the car, per se, but any squeal suggests metal to metal contact which suggests wear and which suggests highly accelerated wear that can only lead to a repair in the future.

My course of action would be to note when it happens, to be able to demo the noise as best one can on demand and then insist its cause be investigated and corrected.

If there is any push back state that because of this noise and what it suggests -- something is wrong and only going to get wronger (err something like that) -- you have lost all enjoyment in owning and driving the vehicle.

Remind the dealership one reason why you chose to buy your car from this dealer was its claim that it could provide for you and for your car the proper servicing and repairs should it require any repairs and certainly take care of anything that went wrong.

If the dealer is unwilling to follow through or unable to follow through with this implied promise that played a major role in your car purchasing decision then mention that you feel perhaps you've been made a victim of consumer fraud, that you were misled and had you known the dealer couldn't fullfil it part of the purchase agreement you would have bought the car at another dealer or even bought another brand of car from a dealer that could fullfill its obligations.

Be sure you visit the dealer when the service manager and sales manager/GM are all present so if you don't get assurances the problem will be taken care of you can escalate to the next higher person until you reach one that can direct his underlings to do the right thing.

If you are told that is normal ask that this noise be produced from other cars similar to yours right now.

Of course you want to be prepared to leave the car. That last thing you want to do is get some promise it will be taken care of then take the car cause you're not prepared to leave it to be fixed.

Be calm but firm. Take notes, names and phone numbers, titles, etc. and what was said and by whom. It can help to do this in front of whomever you talk to so they know you are paying attention and will hold them to their word and promises.

You want to leave with some paperwork that states the symptom/problem the reason why you're leaving the car, that someone has heard the noise and agrees is it is not right, normal, and that it will be looked into and fixed and you want to leave without the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Clutch Squeal