Sponsored by:

Changing pads at the track (DE)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:24 PM
gwier001
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing pads at the track (DE)

Those of you (997.1) who change brake pads for each DE, do you generally use new vibration dampers, or do you clean and put adhesive on the old ones, or do you just throw in the new pads, without putting adhesive on the old ones?

A complete set of dampers is about $100.00, adds up after a while!

Thanks
Old 05-30-2010, 12:36 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I do not use the anti-squeal backing plates with my track pads. they will not keep the race pads from squealing anyway and with Pagid Yellows they will not fit anyway.

When I put my stock pads back in I do not use any adhesive and the stock pads are quiet.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:28 AM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 no anti sqeal shims for track. If you use Pagids and have new rotors it is hard to fit the pads in with shims without binding even if you wanted to use them.

Also +1 on usually no need to use any thing like adhesive when reinstalling street pads with shims. If you want to use something, I would suggest you try Permatex Disc Brake Quiet - comes in a spray can and is a thin blue spray. Just lay pads face down on some newspaper or something and give each pad backing a light coat where the pistons will hit - works very well and you don't need much. I usually spray the pads then jack the car and get a wheel off and the spray is ready to go - dry or tacky. OK I admit I even do this to my track pads sometimes without using shims...
Old 05-31-2010, 12:20 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree with the above--when I tracked my 01 Turbo, I eliminated the shims both for street and for my track pads. My understanding is that unless they are stuck to the pads, the shims do nothing as far as preventing brake squeal. So unless you're gluing the old shims to the pads in some way, there's no point in reusing them.

The shims when new may stay "glued" in street use, but run on the track (even if you can get them in there with the Pagids) and they won't stay glued very long. In fact, in all my Porsches, when I go to change the original set of pads, the shims have broken loose from the pads long ago. That's another reason why I say eliminate them when you change your pads.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

We manufacture a Brake Tool which greatly eases the process of removing the retaining pin so you can change pads. It does this by compressing the spring clip for you and holding it so you have both hands free to complete the task. $49.95

And we offer a Brake Pad Spreader, which is an essential tool for anyone doing pad replacement. $39.95

Check them out at http://Traqjunk.com
Old 06-02-2010, 10:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by fhp911
We manufacture a Brake Tool which greatly eases the process of removing the retaining pin so you can change pads. It does this by compressing the spring clip for you and holding it so you have both hands free to complete the task. $49.95

And we offer a Brake Pad Spreader, which is an essential tool for anyone doing pad replacement. $39.95

Check them out at http://Traqjunk.com
I am a little lost about these tools. I do a ton of DE's...a few a month it seems and I swap my pads out when I change my wheels before I go to the track. All I do is use a hole punch and lightly hammer out the pin and the clip falls right off. I use Channel Lock pliers with a towl so I do not mark the red paint on the caliper to compress the pads....you know the little lip on the caliper and matched the pad where the pin goes through?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:12 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Throw the adhesives and spiders away, and make believe you never saw them. And zip tie the damn brake sensors out of the way.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by mhm993
Throw the adhesives and spiders away, and make believe you never saw them. And zip tie the damn brake sensors out of the way.
Yep..... or better yet get some old sensors ( your dealer will give them to you) and clip the wires 1" from the plug and solder the 2 ends together and shrink wraped them and plug them in....nice and clean, no need for sensors since I monitor my pads myself.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I am a little lost about these tools. I do a ton of DE's...a few a month it seems and I swap my pads out when I change my wheels before I go to the track. All I do is use a hole punch and lightly hammer out the pin and the clip falls right off. I use Channel Lock pliers with a towl so I do not mark the red paint on the caliper to compress the pads....you know the little lip on the caliper and matched the pad where the pin goes through?
I was thinking the same thing--now on my 67 corvette, different story. But on the Porsche (Brembo brakes) I have a spare torx driver that's the perfect diameter, a hammer and channel locks and the pads are in and out in no time flat.

And I could not resist, but that pad spreader looks about worthless. If one were inclined to spend money on a pad spreader, there are better ones out there.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:06 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

All,

It has to do with the Brembo brakes. You CAN'T just push the retaining pin out, no matter how hard you try (on the fronts) because the spring fits into a depression on the pin. You have to compress the spring to get it to drop below the depression on the pin -- that's where our Brake Tool comes to the rescue.

(In my former '84 911, the pin came out so easily -- just a whack with a punch and it was out! It's a completely different story with the 'improved' [ie, more difficult] Brembo design.)

Take a look at TraqJunk.com to see what we've designed for the Brembo-style brakes.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:17 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
All,

It has to do with the Brembo brakes. You CAN'T just push the retaining pin out, no matter how hard you try (on the fronts) because the spring fits into a depression on the pin. You have to compress the spring to get it to drop below the depression on the pin -- that's where our Brake Tool comes to the rescue.

(In my former '84 911, the pin came out so easily -- just a whack with a punch and it was out! It's a completely different story with the 'improved' [ie, more difficult] Brembo design.)

Take a look at TraqJunk.com to see what we've designed for the Brembo-style brakes.
Well, on my 997 you can just push down with one hand on the clip while tapping with the other to get the pin out/in (more so) easily ... The pin and retainer clip in your site pics appears to be from another model and you might have such a need there.

BTW, I like your seat belt 'tool' for harness use..

Quick Reply: Changing pads at the track (DE)