Sponsored by:

New England Drag Racing - Wednesday and Friday Nights

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New England Drag Racing - Wednesday and Friday Nights

I thought I would post this up, since I'm not sure how many New Englanders know about this. Every Wednesday and Friday night, New England Dragway (NED) in Epping NH, from 5-10PM, holds a "Street night." In essence, you show up, pay $20, and get to run as many passes as you can fit in 5 hours. You can make a match between you and another, or just take on whoever is in the next lane. You're on a real dragstrip, using a real tree, and get proper slips with all associated info (trap speed, time, etc). I've done it once or twice before, and it was a great time, both in terms of the environment and the knowledge of what my car can do.

I'll be attending this Friday (pending weather / any last minute conflict). If anyone is interested in coming along, it would be great to have the company. If your car runs a 14 sec or quicker (which it will) you need a helmet, and are prohibited from carrying passengers. Link to the site is here (http://newenglanddragway.com/).
Old 05-27-2010, 11:50 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to drag race at Carlsbad Raceway in the early 90's, sponsored, but don't know that I want to start the routine I was in back then of breaking parts on the weekends and spending the rest of the week fixing it back up, not with my new Porsche. Even though I didn't pay for labor and some parts, it still cost me over 30K in Mods/fixes, and that was on a Mustang. There's a reason we trailered the car, and it wasn't just for the slicks.

It sounds very tempting though, and my wife just left for Switzerland & France. I better kill this idea before I show up with a couple strippers and ready to race.
I will be at the Autocross Sunday
Attached Images      
Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Todd, if you've ever been to an autocross with PCA, it's a similar atmosphere - most people are just there for a good time and not looking to beat anyone else. You get a few vipers, a lot of mustangs / cameros, some trucks / SUV's, bikes, snow mobiles, tractors, and a small handful of other high performance cars. For the hour or so between gates opening and first car off, inspection is taking place, and the scene turns more into a car show then anything. Last 2 times I attended, I was one of the fastest stock cars. If you find yourself bored tomorrow, come up for the drive anyways - it would be nice to have some brand support.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:00 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by camhabib
it would be nice to have some brand support.
PM me with a meeting place & time close to the track. I'm probably going to head up early as the holiday traffic's going to be a killer.

Hopefully some other Rennlisters will join us!

Last edited by todd.; 05-29-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:50 AM
camhabib
Instructor

For anyone interested, we will be meeting at the Starbucks in Epping (96 Calef Highway Epping, NH 03042) at around 4:30-4:45. As I mentioned above, helmet, pants, and closed toe shoes are really all you need, along with $20 to drive, and I believe something like $10 to watch.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:06 AM
thealexman
Advanced

I think I can be down for the brand support...gonna need some motorsport in my life this weekend since the auto X is out.

-Alex
Old 05-28-2010, 03:12 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Awesome, it's turing into a Porsche event, see you at Starbucks.

Originally Posted by thealexman
I think I can be down for the brand support...gonna need some motorsport in my life this weekend since the auto X is out.

-Alex
Old 05-28-2010, 03:25 AM
thealexman
Advanced

Originally Posted by todd.

It sounds very tempting though, and my wife just left for Switzerland & France. I better kill this idea before I show up with a couple strippers and ready to race.
I will be at the Autocross Sunday

...if you were serious about the strippers, i'll make a couple calls. haha
Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

...if you were serious about the strippers, i'll make a couple calls. haha
LMAO, no, I'll get into too much trouble as I always do with strippers, but I do remember when I used to drag race in San Diego(at night) the hotties that would show up with the sole intention of leaving with winners, the best part.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:22 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Does any of you guys know or can explain me - we have only 2 DE sessions at NHMS. But I heard some folks get there to run like almost other weekend. From web site info it is not that clear how exactly it can be done - is there here anybody who goes to NHMS on their own? How exactly is it getting done?
Should it be some sort of certificate from some driving school that grants you access?
What are exact logistics of this procedure?

Sorry for an attempt to hijack your dragstripping thread.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:29 AM
camhabib
Instructor

I would assume they belong to other clubs or have some kind of connection to the track. I know a few people who have gotten groups together and rented the track for a day, all pitching in to cover the fees, but this was booked well in advanced. I believe NHMS also regularly has "open test" days where you can go, pay ~$150, and run for the day.

utkinpol, you going to be joining us today?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:42 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by camhabib
I would assume they belong to other clubs or have some kind of connection to the track. I know a few people who have gotten groups together and rented the track for a day, all pitching in to cover the fees, but this was booked well in advanced. I believe NHMS also regularly has "open test" days where you can go, pay ~$150, and run for the day.

utkinpol, you going to be joining us today?
sorry guys, cannot go today, family...

as for 'open test' - it is sort of what was in my question as to get in there one should have either racing license or some certificate, I have no clue where it all gets from. would be interesting to hear from anybody who does it.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Cameron, do you drag race PSM on or off, just curious?
Old 05-28-2010, 03:43 PM
thealexman
Advanced

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Does any of you guys know or can explain me - we have only 2 DE sessions at NHMS. But I heard some folks get there to run like almost other weekend. From web site info it is not that clear how exactly it can be done - is there here anybody who goes to NHMS on their own? How exactly is it getting done?
Should it be some sort of certificate from some driving school that grants you access?
What are exact logistics of this procedure?

Sorry for an attempt to hijack your dragstripping thread.
I'm hoping for an answer as well.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:59 PM
jmazz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm hoping for an answer as well.
If you go with NER then you should also be able to go with NCR. A lot of people also go with the BMWCCA. Unlike the PCA you don't need to own a BMW to join. NHMS has a complete schedule on their website with links to the organizations booking the track. Just look to see if you can join the club.

Quick Reply: New England Drag Racing - Wednesday and Friday Nights