Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to take care of your (black) paint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:35 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
I also use Zaino. I find using the indoor car cover helps.

My car isn't my DD, so it's not too bad. If it were my DD, I wouln't get black. After my first black car I swore I'd never get black again. Somehow my 911 ended up being my 4th black car. Each time I keep saying "never again", but what the heck, I'm a glutten for punishment...
Either that ^ or you have a really bad memory!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:52 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
you'll get lottsa opinions
here's mine

Be annoyingly **** about your wash "mitts" and buckets. Use lambswool, not microfiber and rinse them often while washing.
Use separate wash buckets for wheels / lower body vs. paintwork, you don't want to be rubbing brake dust into your paint do you?
Wash as seldom as possible, every time you wash, no matter how **** you are, you WILL scratch the paint, goal is to minimize those scratches be being **** about your equipment.

For removing light flaws use Menzerana Super Intensive Polish on a soft - medium pad.
For removing water spots / light buffer swirls use Menzerna 106 AF or FF on a soft pad.
Spend your time polishing, not waxing. almost any good wax is fine, use what goes on / comes off easily.
Try Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection for final wax?

I'll stop now

if you don't have a life look here for more

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/

have fun

it works, this car was just done with the two Menzerna products and has NO wax yet.

Craig
Great tips, beautiful car. I'd only add to try the vinegar or lemon juice diluted solution on water spots before getting "surgical". Seemed to be amazingly painless and almost effortless.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:00 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P21S Carnauba Wax. It looks great but it's not very durable so you have to rewax it often.

Actually I find that keeping the wheels clean is a lot more work than keeping the black paint clean, due to all the brake dust.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:02 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan
P21S Carnauba Wax. It looks great but it's not very durable so you have to rewax it often.

Actually I find that keeping the wheels clean is a lot more work than keeping the black paint clean, due to all the brake dust.
I'd agree with that.

I use "Meguires California Gold" car wash and a clean big *** microfiber encased sponge (works fine for me). Dry with well worn white cotton bath towels. I give a light coat of P100/P21 on a slightly damp applicator after every wash. Wipe off before its fully dry with high quality microfiber towels I throw away the applicator pad after one use or maybe use it on the race car or my truck.
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2010, 03:09 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...carrera-s.html
Old 05-25-2010, 03:31 PM
REBor8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Menzerna polishes (2), (083 & 106) Blackfire finishers (final polish & sealant) and carnuba wax. Black cars require didication and no other color is as understated and elegant. I've used the Eagle 1 and Meguires quick waxes and detailing sprays and get good results. I have a clear-bra on the entire front end and get even results on both paint and film surfaces. BTW the on the black inside leather and trim, the Meguires Gold Class Leather cleaner/conditioner is super easy to use and works great. Streak free, satin finish and good smell with no residue and very uniform. Windows: Invisible Glass.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Frino
Pro

Another vote for Zaino. Specifically: Z-5™ PRO Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches

California Duster in between washes along with detailing spray (Z6) and microfiber towels.

Do NOT detail or dust when the paint is hot. Avoid drying in direct sunlight.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:44 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan

Agreed - I spend about as much time on the wheels, it seems, as the rest of the car.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:42 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Zaino is the product of my choosing. I also dont drive this car everyday (wish I didnt drive so much) so I have the luxury of not having to wash it as often. I have has several black cars and this helps me keep it looking great.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:47 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The less you touch black, the longer it will look good.

Once you establish a good finish, your washing method will be the most important thing that preserves it.

Foam gun to apply car wash, plush microfiber 'finger' wash mit using two bucket rinse with grit guards, blow dry with leaf blower or equal.

Occasional application of swirl remover w/ dual action polisher and appropriate pad, application of last-step liquid sealer which doesn't require buffing out (assuming a good finish to start, otherwise, stronger measures to be applied)

You can use products that conceal and fill the swirls, but they will reappear as the product wears/washes/burns/evaporates off.

NONE of the following: automatic car washes, quick detailer between washes, non-mircofiber cloths/mits, or dry dusting.

BD
Old 01-14-2015, 01:34 PM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Correct - Protect - Maintain

Correct - I use Menzerna, Sonax, and Meguairs dependent on the vehicles paint. I use the Rupes Polishers and pads. Preparation is the key to black paint, but any paint for that matter.

Protect - Wax: Swissvax Concorso or Crystal Rock if you want to spend more money.
Sealant: Sonax Polymer Netshield is my go to sealant. 6 months durability and insane water
behavior.
Coating: Cquartz UK for more budget minded, topped with Reload or Hydro2, for the ultimate
in protection and gloss and measurable thickness, Modesta BC-05.

Maintain - Depending on the Protection you choose, maintaining can be easy or time consuming. If you drive the car, as you should with any Porsche, then coating it will give the most ease of maintenance. The super hydrophobic properties of coatings, not only make water not stand on the car, but makes the removal of road grime and other contaminants much much easier.
Use a soap developed for the coating, every 4-6 months, do a decontamination on the coating and top with the coating companies topper and it will continue to look and perform.
In any case, using a dedicated two bucket method and letting the soap do the vast majority of the work is the key. If you can air blow dry it, even better than drying with a towel, if you have to use a towel, ultra soft microfiber drying towels are key.

Hope this helps. I love black and love working on black.

This shot is a jetblack 69 GTO paint correction we did a couple of weeks ago. This was a 35 hour detail. The results were worth it.

50/50 shot of before to after

This was topped with Swissvax Concorso. It will be driven rarely.

Bruce

Carolina Auto Image
Old 01-14-2015, 03:54 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Best way to care for it is to have it professionally detailed, then put it in the garage under a high quality cover and never drive it again.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

My Spyder is Basalt Black and four years later the paint lookt better than it did when I received it from the factory. I did a mild finishing polish with Meguiars 205 and a finishing pad a few months after I bought it and have maintined it since. Since it doesn't see inclement weather I don't wash it, I simply dust it with a california duster and quick detail using Pinnacle Crystal Mist.

More recently I purchased a Black Volvo for DD use and it sees all types of nasty weather. I use a touchless wash to get most of the dirt off the car and then quick detail spray to remove any of the lighter residue a touchless wash won't remove. No swirls or scratches as of yet after 8000 miles.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:55 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

If you want to forever be rid of the worries that go along with being both a little OCD, AND an owner of a black car, YOU MUST TAKE THIS TO THE BANK...

get rid of it, sell it, and never own another black car again!

This is what I did, and it made me very happy!

Old 01-14-2015, 11:00 PM
hot nikon
Racer

I have a black C2S, I use Zaino. As others have said, clean for 20 minutes, or 5 miles…

Wash infrequently, rinse car very well before washing.

Start at the top, wheel wells last. I use a microfiber cloth, one time, throw it away (keep it, but don't use it for your car again). Drop it, get a new one. I buy 3 for around $5, big deal.

Use a Toro leaf blower to dry 90% of the car.

Use Zaino in a clean area, no blowing sand, grit.

Don't let your towels become sand paper. Light touch.

Won't let dealer touch it. Saw a guy drop his rag (yikes) 3 or 4 times at dealer, just picked up rag and kept going, then go to the next car, dropped it again. He makes $15 an hour, your $100k car is the %@#* he does not give.

My paint looks fantastic. 5 years old, garage kept 100% of the time, never had to correct anything yet.

Remember the black dress shoes in the military? Kind of like that. When clean, absolutely beautiful.

My son called it the "car from which light cannot escape".

A black car can seem like a second job… Easiest colors:white or silver.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: best way to take care of your (black) paint?