Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best New England Roads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010 | 11:53 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Default Best New England Roads?

I know there are quite a few of NE owners here. Between potholes, high traffic, cops, and other unavoidable problems, finding a nice stretch of road is a chore. Any favorite hidden gems among drivers here? Looking to take a nice long drive to welcome back the nice weather. Leaving from Boston, but anywhere in NE is find with me.
Old 05-21-2010 | 12:15 AM
vinnysca
Instructor

Have you ever driven through the White Mountains? And through Kancamagus highway? It's a great drive! I never tire of going to North Conway through the White Mountains. I've even tried launch control through a straightaway within the national forest. I love the Fall through Bear Notch as well. All within the area.
Old 05-21-2010 | 12:30 AM
thealexman
Advanced

That's definitely a great suggestion. Most of the time I have to get my fix by doing a 3am run down Storrow Drive. ...Sadly, about as good as it gets for me in Boston (that late it does feel like you own the city though)

-Alex

ps. if you do the 3am runs...I highly recommend a nap first.
Old 05-21-2010 | 10:08 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by camhabib
I know there are quite a few of NE owners here. Between potholes, high traffic, cops, and other unavoidable problems, finding a nice stretch of road is a chore. Any favorite hidden gems among drivers here? Looking to take a nice long drive to welcome back the nice weather. Leaving from Boston, but anywhere in NE is find with me.
no matter how good public roads are they are not a substitute for pure adrenalin you can get in devens or on a track. DE sessions are more expensive than auto-x and Devens is closer - come by there and have fun.

Some roads in Dover are nice, there are some places away from highways but it is always a problem with somebody pulling out from driveway, etc. Plus If you start racing even 2 weekends a month on a regular basis you will find that your lust for speed will be completely satisfied and you will stop beating your car on a public roads.

Did you get your car fixed? How long did it take?
Old 05-21-2010 | 09:28 PM
thealexman
Advanced

Hey Utkinpol, can you hook me up with some more info on the auto-x at Devens? I've never done one before and would really like to get into it. Thanks in advance.

-Alex
Old 05-21-2010 | 09:37 PM
lexart
Racer

Originally Posted by thealexman
. . . can you hook me up with some more info on the auto-x at Devens?
It was great showing this past Sun at season's first auto-x date. The next event is may 30th. See you there?

http://www.porschenet.com/JCMS/content/view/171/119/
Old 05-21-2010 | 10:43 PM
thealexman
Advanced

Oh hell yeah! Thanks for the info. Even though I'm residing full time in Boston now, I'm still a member of NNJR...so having the Northeast region information is huge. Thanks!

-Alex
Old 05-21-2010 | 11:31 PM
lexart
Racer

Originally Posted by thealexman
Oh hell yeah! Thanks for the info. Even though I'm residing full time in Boston now, I'm still a member of NNJR...so having the Northeast region information is huge. Thanks!

-Alex
Great, see you at Devens on May 30th.

I'll look for you . . . just don't ware long sleeves
Old 05-22-2010 | 12:57 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

The annual PCA NER Ramble in New Hampshire the first of this month was loads of fun and a gorgeous, spirited drive. The Cape can be a super drive too, we had ~18 Porsches do that in March. I'm always up for a nice drive, especially now that my windshield finally got replaced after nearly two weeks of downtime. We should all gtg and enjoy our 911's.

First photo is from the Cape, following three are of the Ramble
Attached Images     
Old 05-22-2010 | 01:07 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Mount Washington is also quite nice!
Old 05-24-2010 | 01:29 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Usually a motorcycle map details some nice roads. I got one for CT and it has several great 'loops' where the roads are decent and no interstates. Still have to look out for the usual threats.
Old 05-24-2010 | 06:53 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Great Question! I was going to ask something similar.

I just moved to NYC from Chicago and look forward to nice drives in the Northeast as the Midwest lacks nice drives. Any suggestions? Weeknd get away suggestions welcome.

BTW - Over the weekend drove to Greenwich CT, just to get out of town, via Merritt Pkwy, that was a joy to be honest and I know that there is much better out there!

Any thoughts would be great!

Thank you
Old 05-24-2010 | 09:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

My suggestion is to only consider the roads in New Hampshire and Vermont during the week. On the weekends it's just too busy. In Maine you can count on less traffic, including the weekends.
Old 05-27-2010 | 07:37 PM
thealexman
Advanced

Originally Posted by amp-993C2
Great, see you at Devens on May 30th.

I'll look for you . . . just don't ware long sleeves

Sorry to say I won't be able to make it, have to work all weekend. I suppose it serves me right for working a day job in addition to music. Mega bummer...but there's no rest for the wicked.

-Alex

Quick Reply: Best New England Roads?