Sponsored by:

Talk me into RWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010 | 12:09 AM
breakdown
Advanced

Default Talk me into RWD

Hey Everyone,

I'm shopping for my first Porsche right now and everyone has scared me into thinking that I need the AWD car. Everyone makes it sound like I'm going to crash the first week that I own the car if I get RWD. Somewhere along the lines, Porsches reputation got blown way out of proportion.

I'm leaning towards the RWD car for two reasons; I think it would be more fun and they're quite a bit cheaper on the used market.

I do live in Canada but in an area that really doesn't get that much snow. I fully intend to buy good winter tires and drive the car year round. Right now, I drive a pickup truck (with a very light rear end) and I only use 4wd in the worst of snowstorms.

I just need some reassurance from people who do drive the RWD cars throughout the year.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2010 | 12:14 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

My previous three 997's were AWD. I am so much happier with my new C2S, much more fun feeling for me, and significantly more trunk space. Handling is not an issue, feedback is better.
Old 05-18-2010 | 12:25 AM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by breakdown
Hey Everyone,

I'm shopping for my first Porsche right now and everyone has scared me into thinking that I need the AWD car. Everyone makes it sound like I'm going to crash the first week that I own the car if I get RWD...
If you're going to crash the first week you own a RWD 997 then you would probably crash a AWD one also.

Test drive both and buy whichever one feels best to you.
Old 05-18-2010 | 12:52 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Having come from the older series of 911 cars (with the 60% - 40% weight bias to the rear) with no special traction control or PASM capabilities, I had to learn how to handle a heavily rear biased automobile. It's particularly challenging with more than average power, and with adverse road conditions (wet or snowy). That being said, the latest generation of 911, the 997, has very much dialed out that tricky handling. Have you ever really LOOKED at the width of the rear tires on these things? The tire width, along with PASM and ABS brakes has virtually eliminated the need for AWD in a 911. Porsche was forced to make all their turbo models since the 965 into AWD cars because there are a lot of people out there with more money than driving skills--something they learned with the 930 as secretaries borrowed their boss' cars and then wrapped them around trees--and then sued Porsche for making inherently unsafe cars. Hogwash! Once you understand how to drive a rear drive, rear weight biased automobile, you will eventually learn why that combination has been and remains so popular in Formula 1 racing. And in Porsche driving. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people assume that they can do more with a 4WD or AWD car in adverse road conditions. These are the people who have to have their vehicles towed out of ditches after a snowstorm. The RWD guys keep things dialed in and don't get tempted to do things that will result in an accident. I don't know about you, but I can much better control a RWD car with engine braking than I can engine braking an AWD car.

What you really should do is go out and drive both. But remember that you gain a lot more complexity and weight with a AWD Porsche, and that results in higher maintenance costs over the life of the car. Also, you pay a price in the loss of trunk space--on cars with already small storage space.

In retrospect, I would never change a thing about ordering a 2WD Porsche 997. I laugh every time I see a Carrera 4 in Southern California. What were they thinking? I believe most of them think that 4 is better (it's more expensive) and thus they have to have that, without knowing a thing about the 997.

Ultimately, the real danger in the wintertime are the OTHER drivers out there on the roads. Some 997 drivers do drive their cars in the wintertime and they feel more confident with the AWD on such roads. I maintain that with proper snow tires (not all season mud/snows) and a RWD Porsche you are nearly invincible until higher snow levels pretty much shut down all Porsche movement.

(Don't let my location confuse you. I have lived and driven in Germany, Colorado, Oregon, Wyoming, Utah, Oklahoma (the ice state) and even Iceland, and prefer the simplicity of 2WD).

Last edited by Edgy01; 05-18-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-18-2010 | 12:56 AM
acao
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I laugh every time I see a Carrera 4 in Southern California.
Ditto Houston. Though the 996 C4S had the sweetest body work. Not so much now.
Old 05-18-2010 | 09:33 AM
56truluck
Intermediate

I drive a c2 997-2 everyday. I put on a set of winter tires. I found that the car has great traction. The only time I could not drive the car in winter was when the roads had enough snow to cause a clearance. problem. I am sure that a c4/c4s with winter tires would be even better in adverse conditions. I am sure all wheel drive versions have advantages in on dry roads as well but I could not justify the added cost of purchase for a feature that I did not feel is a must. I am sure that the all wheel drive Pcars are just as great as the rear drive models. However, I don't think it is necessary to have all wheel drive for the car to be an outstanding daily driver. I worked many years to own one of these cars and driving my c2 everyday, in virtually all conditions is always a joy. Godd luck, there is no wrong decision here.
Old 05-18-2010 | 11:21 AM
rvklein
Racer

I struggled with this myself but settled on a C2S because the price was right. My madien voyage was 500 miles of wet weather. I was amazed at the grip. All that weight sitting on those fat tires. C4S is completely unnessecary unless you like the fatter *** (and who doesnt?)
Old 05-18-2010 | 11:41 AM
winkingchef
Pro

4WD has the added grip necessary to drive over the bones of your defeated squash opponents (gold star if you catch the reference).

On the serious - it really doesn't matter - especially if you live in"Canada Lite" (Vancouver area)
Old 05-18-2010 | 11:50 AM
purrybonker
Pro

In my humble opinion, AWD on a 911 is significant only as a marketing tool. Like the man said, why sacrifice weight, trunk space and mechanical complexity...

Snow in the interior of BC - here's me with my RWD 3.2 Carrera (no AWD in those days) a few years back on the Crowsnest in the Hope-Princeton pass. I got caught in that unexpected April snow storm with summer tires and still made it through with no problem, although several vehicles ended up in the ditch and the highway was closed to traffic a short time after I went through.

The speedo pic is real, too - not just tire spin; and that's MPH, not KPH. That car felt rock solid even in that wet-slushly snow with summer rubber.

Last edited by purrybonker; 02-07-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2010 | 12:36 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Like to chime-in as I live in the area.

Since you have to go through Coquihalla highway, I highly recommend an AWD Porsche. I know people with proper tires in winter and good Porsche skill driving should be fine... however, not too many people posted here live in the areas we drive and for me coming from an Audi AWD to Porsche AWD, I can tell you that margin for error is A LOT less in the Porsche, which is great for tracking and going fast, but may not be ideal for daily drives in Kelowna in fall/winter. I actually know a couple of people in Kelowna who both have C4S and if you want, can reach out to those.

One more thing, Porsche AWD just does NOT feel like any other AWD, front heavy car... you'd be quite surprised how much it feels/acts like a RWD in most cases. So, you pretty much have the best of both worlds in a Porsche AWD.
Old 05-18-2010 | 12:45 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Buy a PDK and click up the E Brake one notch and have a rwd car. Best of both.
Old 05-18-2010 | 12:57 PM
westcoast M5
Intermediate

Why would you drive 90mph in the wet snow with summer tires on a mountain road?

I agree that C2 is fine for Kelowna, especially with winter tires, and good judgement.
Old 05-18-2010 | 01:00 PM
docfink
Pro

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Having come from the older series of 911 cars (with the 60% - 40% weight bias to the rear) with no special traction control or PASM capabilities, I had to learn how to handle a heavily rear biased automobile. It's particularly challenging with more than average power, and with adverse road conditions (wet or snowy). That being said, the latest generation of 911, the 997, has very much dialed out that tricky handling. Have you ever really LOOKED at the width of the rear tires on these things? The tire width, along with PASM and ABS brakes has virtually eliminated the need for AWD in a 911. Porsche was forced to make all their turbo models since the 965 into AWD cars because there are a lot of people out there with more money than driving skills--something they learned with the 930 as secretaries borrowed their boss' cars and then wrapped them around trees--and then sued Porsche for making inherently unsafe cars. Hogwash! Once you understand how to drive a rear drive, rear weight biased automobile, you will eventually learn why that combination has been and remains so popular in Formula 1 racing. And in Porsche driving. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people assume that they can do more with a 4WD or AWD car in adverse road conditions. These are the people who have to have their vehicles towed out of ditches after a snowstorm. The RWD guys keep things dialed in and don't get tempted to do things that will result in an accident. I don't know about you, but I can much better control a RWD car with engine braking than I can engine braking an AWD car.

What you really should do is go out and drive both. But remember that you gain a lot more complexity and weight with a AWD Porsche, and that results in higher maintenance costs over the life of the car. Also, you pay a price in the loss of trunk space--on cars with already small storage space.

In retrospect, I would never change a thing about ordering a 2WD Porsche 997. I laugh every time I see a Carrera 4 in Southern California. What were they thinking? I believe most of them think that 4 is better (it's more expensive) and thus they have to have that, without knowing a thing about the 997.

Ultimately, the real danger in the wintertime are the OTHER drivers out there on the roads. Some 997 drivers do drive their cars in the wintertime and they feel more confident with the AWD on such roads. I maintain that with proper snow tires (not all season mud/snows) and a RWD Porsche you are nearly invincible until higher snow levels pretty much shut down all Porsche movement.

(Don't let my location confuse you. I have lived and driven in Germany, Colorado, Oregon, Wyoming, Utah, Oklahoma (the ice state) and even Iceland, and prefer the simplicity of 2WD).
Formula 1 cars are mid-engined, not rear-engined. Mid-engined cars are inherently better balanced track cars. I feel the C4S is necessary: Those wide rear fenders seal the deal for me--AWD not withstanding!
Old 05-18-2010 | 01:24 PM
wiggy
Instructor

+1 for the RWD. I drive my 06 C2S all year long. We just had the most brutal winter on record and I simply put snow tires on the car. Didnt give me any problems. I see no need for AWD.
Old 05-18-2010 | 01:34 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

I feel unless you are using it as a DD in a snowy region, so RWD. You should have the option to break the *** free when ever you want!

Quick Reply: Talk me into RWD