Sponsored by:

Oil Bars & Viscosity

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 08:03 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Bars & Viscosity

Was wondering how much oil is represented by each bar on the "digital dipstick".

Im trying to avoid overfilling -- and the little notches on the Mobil 1 container are helpful if I can use them to figure out how they relate to the "digital dipstick" guage.

I understand Porsche recomends 0W40. I was reading through old archived posts where folks are using 15W50, and 5w50. Any other Mobil 1 recommendations? I enjoy ethusiastic driving - and want the best protection and performance out of my engine.

Cheers
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Each segment equals .42 quarts or .4 liters. 0w-40 is recommended for all temperature ranges, while 5w-40 and 5w-50 are ok for temperatures above -13 deg F. I personally wouldn't use 15w-50 since it's not approved for the car and the other grades are readily available.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:56 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Use the 5w-50 or at least a 5w-something. The 0w is meant to keep the environment clean at the expense of engine life. The engine heats up faster or something like that so there're fewer emissions.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by LlBr
Use the 5w-50 or at least a 5w-something. The 0w is meant to keep the environment clean at the expense of engine life. The engine heats up faster or something like that so there're fewer emissions.
All due respect, but you're wrong. The 0w viscosity refers to the fact that the oil is thinner at low temperatures than 5w, 10w or 15w, which allows for it to be more free flowing and for the engine to be properly lubricated when it (and the oil) are cold. It's why Porsche recommends 0w-40 in really cold climates but allows for 5w oils in warmer areas. Although 5w oils are perfectly acceptable in the areas where most of us drive, the issue is proper lubrication, and less friction and wear at low temps and when starting. That's the exact opposite of what you are implying.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:28 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Each segment equals .42 quarts or .4 liters.
I was told (by the dealer...) that it was .5 quarts per segment. Haven't checked the user manual for the official value.

Whatever the nominal value is, it's only a "rough approximation" measurement from my experience.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
I was told (by the dealer...) that it was .5 quarts per segment. Haven't checked the user manual for the official value.

Whatever the nominal value is, it's only a "rough approximation" measurement from my experience.
Just going by what it says in the manual; .42 quarts or .4 liters per segment.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:53 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

All due respect, but you're wrong. That's the exact opposite of what you are implying.
Sir, Assuming NO temp extremes: AFAIK, thinner oil means less protection when the car starts up. When engine is cold and clearances are greater so the thinner 0w oil means less protection. Again, not talking winter-ish temp. extremes here, just decent weather in the Spring and Summer USA.

The way I understand it is Porsche goes with the thinner oil (as does Ford and GM) to wind up with lower emissions which make the cars more appealing and meet federal standards better.

I wish I could find the reference, but I doubt I will have the time. I could be wrong but I really don't think so on this one. (friendly disagreement here and BIG desire to get some confirmation either way).

Assuming non-extreme temp range issues use the 5W oil and the engine will last longer but the atmosphere will get more polluted.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:55 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

It's an odd choice to use in that oil is commonly sold in quarts or liters.

Anyway, they're clearly unable to measure it with much precision!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

There's far more going on in there than would allow one to expect a direct correlation between a bar and a half litre or quart.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:00 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edgy01
There's far more going on in there than would allow one to expect a direct correlation between a bar and a half litre or quart.
All the more reason to provide an old-fashioned dipstick...
Old 05-17-2010, 11:19 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All due respect, but you're wrong. The 0w viscosity refers to the fact that the oil is thinner at low temperatures than 5w, 10w or 15w, which allows for it to be more free flowing and for the engine to be properly lubricated when it (and the oil) are cold. It's why Porsche recommends 0w-40 in really cold climates but allows for 5w oils in warmer areas. Although 5w oils are perfectly acceptable in the areas where most of us drive, the issue is proper lubrication, and less friction and wear at low temps and when starting. That's the exact opposite of what you are implying.
Urg, I'm getting sucked back in to an oil thread!

But IMO the reasons why Porsche recommended the 0w-40 instead of 5w-50 is in order of most important to least important :

1. Reduction of emissions in the cold start test.

2. Recommending 0w oil ensures that customers use synthetic oils.

3. Better lube performance in the very very cold.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:35 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please don't get 1911Porsche started again.....
Old 05-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Some people simply resist the advancement of technology. The inclusion of an electronic oil level device ultimately results in more frequent oil level checks by owners. If owners had to resort to popping the deck lid and pulling out and wiping off a dipstick, less owners would include that in their daily pre-flight rituals. Ditto for TPMS and tire pressure checks.

Really, how many people checked their tire pressures at least once a week prior to the TPMS capability?

How often do you check the oil (via a dipstick) on your other cars?
Old 05-18-2010, 12:58 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by LlBr
Sir, Assuming NO temp extremes: AFAIK, thinner oil means less protection when the car starts up. When engine is cold and clearances are greater so the thinner 0w oil means less protection. Again, not talking winter-ish temp. extremes here, just decent weather in the Spring and Summer USA.

The way I understand it is Porsche goes with the thinner oil (as does Ford and GM) to wind up with lower emissions which make the cars more appealing and meet federal standards better.

I wish I could find the reference, but I doubt I will have the time. I could be wrong but I really don't think so on this one. (friendly disagreement here and BIG desire to get some confirmation either way).

Assuming non-extreme temp range issues use the 5W oil and the engine will last longer but the atmosphere will get more polluted.
Ten years ago, when I owned my 996, there were scattered complaints about valve train clatter at start up from the (then) new water cooled engines, even at non-extreme temperatures. The response to dealers from Porsche, as told to me by my service tech, was to use the 0w-40 oil due to it's ability to get to the affected parts more quickly at start up.

Clearly there are a lot of different opinions on the whole oil issue, and it's been beaten to death before. While there may be benefits emission-wise to using the 0w oil, I've also seen evidence that there are advantages in cold start lubrication as well. I originally reacted to your flat statement that the 0w oil would cause your engine to wear faster. I still disagree. But in normal climates, we're probably talking about tiny differences, hardly worth arguing about.

Bottom line, Porsche filled my car with 0w-40 at the factory, and it's their primary recommended oil. All the opinions and speculation from arm chair experts like us aside, that's enough said AFAIC.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:25 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Some people simply resist the advancement of technology. The inclusion of an electronic oil level device ultimately results in more frequent oil level checks by owners. If owners had to resort to popping the deck lid and pulling out and wiping off a dipstick, less owners would include that in their daily pre-flight rituals. Ditto for TPMS and tire pressure checks.

Really, how many people checked their tire pressures at least once a week prior to the TPMS capability?

How often do you check the oil (via a dipstick) on your other cars?
Maybe we need to have the computer check transmission fluid in case it leaks..or radiator fluid in case its low. I know I never check the air in the air cooled 83SC ...always appears to run fine.
abe

Quick Reply: Oil Bars & Viscosity