Sponsored by:

Interior Ligh Issue - lights stay on

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 11:16 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Interior Ligh Issue - lights stay on

My interior overhead light, map lights and footwell lights stay on whether in the "ON" or "AUTO" position. In the AUTO position they should turn on/off with opening/closing the door, but mine stay on all the time unless I have it in the OFF position. It is as if the door switch thinks the door is open all the time, although the lights on the door panels work correctly (assume these would be on the same door switch?)

Car was stored over the winter and recently installed a new battery. I think the problem started after the battery install, but I could be wrong on this

Any thoughts?
Old 05-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonKM
My interior overhead light, map lights and footwell lights stay on whether in the "ON" or "AUTO" position. In the AUTO position they should turn on/off with opening/closing the door, but mine stay on all the time unless I have it in the OFF position. It is as if the door switch thinks the door is open all the time, although the lights on the door panels work correctly (assume these would be on the same door switch?)

Car was stored over the winter and recently installed a new battery. I think the problem started after the battery install, but I could be wrong on this

Any thoughts?
Try this: Remove key from ignition. Turn off all parasitic loads like lights. Follow proper procedure to disconnect battery.

Insert key into ignition switch and turn to the on position -- do not turn to engine start position -- and leave for a moment or two.

Turn the key to the off position and remove the key from the ignition switch.

Reconnect the battery.

After reconnecting the battery you'll have to give the E-gas time to recalibrate. Insert the key into the ignition and turn the key to the on position and leave in the on position 50 to 60 seconds. Do not turn key to start position. Do not touch the gas pedal either before or during this operation.

Turn the key to the off position. Remove the key.

Now you can reinsert the key and start the engine.

Reset window stops. For 996 cars this is done by lowering the side glass by pressing and holdling the lower button. Then when window all the way down release the button. Then press the raise button and hold it down until window all the way up. Continue to hold the button down for 10 seconds.

Consult your owners manual. It should have the proper steps for doing the window stop/limit reset and it should also have the proper steps for recalibrating the E-gas. Double check to be sure the steps are the same as I gave above.

If they are different follow the steps in the owners manual.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:28 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I gave this a shot and no go. Key got stuck in the ignition with the battery disconnected. Any other suggestions? Does this mean a trip to the dealer?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:17 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a thin metal stick inside the fuse cover that can be inserted into the key lock allowing you to remove the key. You will have to remove the pin cover from the key hole and insert the stick into that hole, then pull out the key.

Quick Reply: Interior Ligh Issue - lights stay on