Sponsored by:

does your bluetooth suck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:35 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry does your bluetooth suck?

i hear people great but they can't hear me. it's the factory system on my 2009, verizon service (best in the area), htc ozone or motorola razr.

can i put in a noise cancelling mic?

TIA
Old 05-14-2010, 06:49 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

my iphone works great on my 2010...zero problems
Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a MY2010, and it worked great on my iPhone3G with AT&T service.

Regards,
Old 05-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I think the microphones all suck.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:28 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

brendorenn - I have the same problem with my 2009 997.2. The Bluetooth doesn't sync to the phone on the first call - even though it PCM indicates that it does. I can hear the caller - they can't hear me. Seems to work better on second and subsequent calls. There was supposed to be a software upgrade which my dealer installed a few months ago when I was in for service. Didn't help. Please let me know if you find a fix.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:30 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stumil
brendorenn - I have the same problem with my 2009 997.2. The Bluetooth doesn't sync to the phone on the first call - even though it PCM indicates that it does. I can hear the caller - they can't hear me. Seems to work better on second and subsequent calls. There was supposed to be a software upgrade which my dealer installed a few months ago when I was in for service. Didn't help. Please let me know if you find a fix.
I'm not so sure about that diagnosis. At least for most of us dot two-ers. I have the same problem but I think Brendorenn has the right reason for mine: the microphone is terrible. After my first trials, I took it back to the dealer for adjustment and it got better, but it's still not good.

The location is acoustically terrible. I suspect it is influenced also by the position of the steering wheel vertically. People seem to understand me better if I lower the wheel before making a call. (Professional driver, closed course. Do not try this at home, kids.) Okay, I confess. I did that experiment sitting in the driveway.

I'm sure a one-way sync is possible, but you are just as incommunicado when people you call hear something, but it sounds like inhuman noise so they hang up after shouting "hello?" three times.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:54 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
can i put in a noise cancelling mic?
Sorry. I meant to answer this too, Brendorenn. I considered that myself. It could be done, but it's the sort of project that demands a lot of fiddling experiments to get things right and a reasonable electronics background to boot. One example. An easily designed noise-cancelling arrangement has a mike close to your lips and another mike on the back side of that arm. Both mikes pick up the background noise but the one facing your lips picks up your voice with a signal strength many db higher, so the circuits simply subtract the background signal from the front mike. What is left has your voice dominating with all that noise many decibels suppressed. That's how we do it in aircraft headsets. The technique works because people quickly learn how to adjust the mike position to make it work. That is, they ensure the mike is close enough to pick up their voice, but no so close it blocks the background noise. I doubt they know why certain positions work, but basically you have to have the same noise level in both mikes so you can subtract it away, yet you want the voice signal much stronger in the one mike than the other.

I suppose the Porsche factory mike is noise cancelling too. Somewhat. Sorta. Kind of a flying attempt at one by someone who didn't know or didn't care. Look where it sits. Finding a clear separation between your voice and the other noise is next to impossible from a mike position on top of the steering assembly.

Other solutions are possible and I guarantee I'll be in line to buy one if someone makes it work as an aftermarket piece. I just flat refuse to start using a Jawbone again.

Meanwhile, it is sort of comforting, kind of homey to realize Porsche engineers are like the rest of us. In their heart they know a real sports car does not need or even provide a glove compartment to store such niceties as car telephones, navigation systems and so forth. So their Chief Geek walks into the design review and announces their design includes no such things. They add too much weight and are "not consistent with the spirit of the marque." The Marketing VP shrugs and reports how many more units they can shift if they have GPS and 12.1 sound systems and telephones and all those goodies.

Not that marketing doesn't win. They always do. Look at our 19" wheels. But what I find somehow charming is the universality of the response from engineers. Zuffenhausen handles this just like the rest of us. When compelled to add a whiffle or a ziggernaut to your design, you pick the youngest intern -- bright kid, top of her class in senior year and likely to join the firm after graduating -- and you send her down to the corner drugstore to buy a nickel database or a noise-cancelling mike that will fit in the space the real engineers are willing to skooch things over to allow.

Personally, I'm of the school that says "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right". Normally. But then some committee tells me my spacecraft has to have a Downrange Environmental Impact Mitigation Procedure or a raccoon tail on the launch vehicle for inclusiveness. Then I holler for the intern. Like all of us.

Can you tell I tried to use the nav system recently and it wanted to send me out across the desert to reach our home, ignoring the convenient roads that unimaginative people like me would use? I'll bet Marketing calls that a "Wild Encounters" feature and it was mistakenly included in my example instead of the Cayenne it was intended for, so I should be grateful.

Gary
Old 05-15-2010, 03:00 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

My Blackberry sincs quickly with my 09 TT and works decently well, no problems. Somewhat obviously, clarity may not be perfect. But I don't really care, as I intensely dislike talking on the phone when I am driving.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:48 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Sorry. I meant to answer this too, Brendorenn.

Personally, I'm of the school that says "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right". Normally. But then some committee tells me my spacecraft has to have a Downrange Environmental Impact Mitigation Procedure or a raccoon tail on the launch vehicle for inclusiveness. Then I holler for the intern. Like all of us.

Gary
quote of the day for me.

i put an aftermarket system in my other 911 and the mic and audio worked very well.

i should simplify the question here. how can we put a decent quality noice-cancelling mic into this car and terminate it properly??
Old 05-15-2010, 09:16 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine works just fine. I do find myself talking louder than usual, but that's because it's a sports car with a lot of road and engine noise.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:26 AM
REBor8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iPhone. Perfect with engine off. Less than perfect on the move, buttoned up. Marginal at speed.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

I originally used my Garmin 770 w/FM transmitter to sync my Sony cellphone thru the stereo, and it was great on both ends. Sadly my new phone (LG Xenon) won't interface with the Garmin so I bought a Blue Ant ST3 that goes on the sunvisor. Surprisingly I can hear conversations fine (max volume), and other people say I come thru clear as a bell w/no tin-can echo. Not bad for $50 and it reconnects automatically when I shut the door, and announces the incoming caller in a sexy British female voice.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:41 PM
timmp
Intermediate

997.2 cab - SF bay area. Original iphone. Works great.

tim
Old 05-15-2010, 01:57 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

2009 997.2 works fine. When I received my first call in the car and the BT "rang" I was thinking what is the heck is that.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:25 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

997.2 / Verizon / HTC Eris

The BT works great, Mic works great. Sync, not so good, but that is an Eris bug I think - lots of missing contacts - my wife's Droid and my old RAZR sync fine.

I can hear people fine and they hear me, no problems. Works better (clearer, better sound) than my 550i did and better than my wife's GX470.

Maybe have your dealer check it out - same mic as Voice command, which also work fine here, so maybe you have a defect.

Last edited by stevepow; 05-15-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply: does your bluetooth suck?