Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear deck squeak

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010 | 05:15 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Default rear deck squeak

i know that our porsches have quite a few rattle/noise problems... i want to share a very annoying squeak hopefully someone might be able to help... the noise seems to come from the rear deck corner on the passenger side. its not always there. it seems to come out after driving for a bit of time and really its just a squeak that bothers an otherwise rattle free car if you know what i mean. I read somewhere that the rear windshield moves on its rubber and squeaks. it sure sounds that way but as fas as i know these glass parts are glued on arent they? any ideas? i tried pressing the speaker grilles and trying to tap different portions of the rear deck carpetting..i thought i got it but it came back.. very frustrating. maybe someone has had experience...
Old 05-12-2010 | 11:47 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

I had a noise from that same area, but it was a metallic rattle, not a squeak. It sounded to me like a loose seatbelt retractor reel, which is what I suggested when I took it back to the dealer. Turned out it was some kind of a clip in the seatbelt reel assembly. Replaced under CPO. Now I can hear another rattle, which I can stop by pressing up on the headliner just rear of the sunroof opening. Will get that one fixed when I take it for the next service. Fixing noises is easy, the hard part is finding where they're coming from (and not crashing the car trying to figure it out while driving!). Acoustics are sometimes deceiving.
Old 05-12-2010 | 01:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Carry the mechanic with you so that he can sort out the source of the problem as you're underway.
Old 05-12-2010 | 01:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Like Edgy said carry the mechanic in your car so that they have hear what you hear. You sure do seem to have a ton of issues with your car as I've read in all your posts...hope you get everything sorted out.
Old 05-17-2010 | 11:29 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

just to share. i was really getting annoyed with the squeak that often times comes out after driving the car for a while. i was so sure it was coming fromt he rear windsreen. i was getting frustrated pushing speaker grilles, back pads etc. i ended up going out in one of my highway runs. i gave the rear windshield a few whacks on the sides where i thought the noise was coming from. a few whacks here and around the glass. Guess what guys i think i solved it. i couldnt hear the squeak anymore after a couple more runs...must have been something amiss with the rubber strip that might have aligned it after the hits i did...im going on a 100km journey again tomorrow and will give more updates...
Old 05-17-2010 | 01:24 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by slicky rick
i gave the rear windshield a few whacks on the sides where i thought the noise was coming from. a few whacks here and around the glass. Guess what guys i think i solved it. i couldnt hear the squeak anymore
My dad used to whack our TV like that whenever the picture went sideways. Fixed the TV, but made his hand sore
Old 05-17-2010 | 08:49 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

like they say the old people know something the new generation does not. hahaha. their style still works

Quick Reply: rear deck squeak