Sponsored by:

Beep when locking the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:49 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robbonds
im pretty sure my 997.1 honked when you locked the doors....its been 2yrs but i dont think my memory is that bad??!?!?!?!?!
No your memory IS that bad. there is no honk.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

im pretty sure my 997.1 honked when you locked the doors....its been 2yrs but i dont think my memory is that bad??!?!?!?!?!

Did your cab have the SmartTop?
Old 05-10-2010, 06:10 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

no it did not
Old 05-10-2010, 06:15 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

no it did not
smarttop module does not do anything that cannot be done with PIWIS programming, if you know what option in PIWIS to change.
IMHO it is much easier to get smarttop, install it and have total control of what to configure rather than go to dealer and investigate.

here is some info I saw before about PIWIS settings:

when they program the new fobs please have them also apply these PIWIS codes:

Sports Chronometer Remains lit in standby:

CU = Chronometer
Coding => Illumination => There are two options and it should be obvious to which needs setting (my memory isn't perfect).

Side markers flash as indicators:

CU = Front
Coding => Side Marker or direction indicator light =>

Windows open/close with the key in the door lock

First CU (Required for all window options):

CU = PAS

Coding => Comfort via radio remote control => (Currently set to lock or inactive) => Change to Release (Note: The wording maybe "Active" depending on PIWIS version but for all Release = Active and Inactive = Lock).
Coding => Comfort function Window => As above set to release
Coding => Door and Window Comfort Function => As above set to release for each key required.

Windows open/close using the remote control

OK back to the window functions, the next steps have to be coded for each door separately so I will only list it once:

CU = Drivers Door / Passenger Door:

(Window Open)
Coding => Open Comfort => Set to release as before
(Window Close)
Coding => Close Comfort => Set to release as before
Old 05-10-2010, 06:38 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Interesting. Is there a list of the PIWIS settings? It may then be possible for cars w/ SC to set Sport on and PASM Normal as default.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:00 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Get the SmartTop if you need that. For me though... I like the stealthiness of the beeper-less locking. I know where to stand to see the lights flashing, thank you.
+1.

Tastes vary of course, but having my Porsche honk at me when I've done nothing but lock it up would make it feel like... like... a car. Like a Ford or something of that ilk. Or at best a very spicy SUV.

Gary
Old 05-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Dave's911
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
look at the lights. "hi" (1 blink) = unlock, "bye-bye" (2 blinks) = lock
Thank-you, I've been trying to remember which locks and unlocks since I bought my car two months ago
Old 05-11-2010, 12:13 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So ... interesting thing happened to me as I was installing Dension unit in my 2005 997.1 Cab ... I had the battery disconnected so I could route wires around, etc. I had opened the passenger door and forgot to close it before reconnecting the battery. Loud honking noises ensued. Interestingly, however, is that ever since then, I get a brief honk on lock and none on unlock. I had assumed that the sudden battery reconnect alarm thing had caused some setting to get messed up.

Since then I have installed a Smart-Top module and now get 3 honks on lock and one on unlock (the SmartTop does 2 on lock and 1 on unlock ... the car likes to add its own on the lock).

So ... now I am wondering if the PIWIS can't be set to honk then maybe I have a bad microswitch on a door somewhere implying the car is not ready to lock ... have some debugging to do ...
Old 05-11-2010, 04:58 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

On my 2003 996 if you press lock on the fob 2 times when locking it will blink and beep. 1 time just blink. It is in the manual. Did they do away with that on 997?
Old 05-11-2010, 05:23 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes! Blink only!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:41 PM
leneuromancer
Advanced

the smarttop is great (happy customer) ...but, a 'short' in the circuit (broken/missing bulb perhaps), say, for example, in your glove box light circuit, will create the beep for 'free

that said - do the smarttop
Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leneuromancer
the smarttop is great (happy customer) ...but, a 'short' in the circuit (broken/missing bulb perhaps), say, for example, in your glove box light circuit, will create the beep for 'free

that said - do the smarttop
Is this true?

I'd be happy to go without a light in my glove box for the beep when I lock-unlock the car.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:53 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Unplugging the light will not work, I've tried that. The switch that turns the light off is what needs to be removed or unplugged. I've looked and did not find it and I think it may be in the "tube" that is on the right side of the glovebox door as it drops down.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 AM
leneuromancer
Advanced

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Is this true?
I'd be happy to go without a light in my glove box for the beep when I lock-unlock the car.
Originally Posted by NA011
Unplugging the light will not work, I've tried that. The switch that turns the light off is what needs to be removed or unplugged. I've looked and did not find it and I think it may be in the "tube" that is on the right side of the glovebox door as it drops down.
i did a self install of the Nav-TV Sirius kit a while back, which fits nicely behind the glove box ...i *think there is a small micro switch on the left hand side (requires removal of the glove box) that NA011 is [correctly] referencing above

Best pic I could find in PET (totally useless) - "23" is the item in question (i think)

Removing the glove box is not all that hard, just more of a PITA as there as lots of screws - renntech has some good info on this

Smarttop installs in minutes
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2010, 10:58 AM
300cd300sdl911
Advanced

Oh great, my 997.1 beeps occassionally when I lock the doors. Now I'll be forced to pay attention or worse still ......read the owners manual.

Quick Reply: Beep when locking the car