Sponsored by:

My bad experience renting a track car at Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:11 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My bad experience renting a track car at Nurburgring

I had a very bad experience with RSR NURBURG on my recent trip to SPA & Nurburgring.

* I have edited my post to reflect changes and add additional facts and correct some statements.

I rented a Clio Cup package for 2 days that was advertised on their website. Did everything online and picked up the car.

There website clearly stated:

We have our own SPECIAL OFFER for all those people wanting to hire a car and also drive the Nordschleife on the 30th. We can supply you with a Clio 197 or 200 Cup for BOTH days from just €995.

€995 for a rental Clio Cup with track access for BOTH events (not including hotels)

When I picked up the car and signed the paperwork, I was never told of any mileage limits with my package or what my limits were.

After returning the car they proceeded to inform me that that "package I signed up for" did not apply to what I got..... yet it was exactly what I had gotten according to their website..... and.... even though it was the exact package I signed up for and requested.

RSR then stated that I need to pay 404 euros extra than the initially agreed 995..... for what they said was a different package... after a lot of arguing and after I showed them what it clearly said on THEIR website and that that was what I got exactly... ...They then decided that I still needed to pay the extra money but now it was not because I got a different package.. but now it was for excess mileage........so one second it was for a different package and now its for excess mileage... how convenient.

I then told RSR that it never said anywhere in my contract about how many miles were included in my package (to this and they said "oh.. whoops someone should have told you.. ), especially since I picked up the car in Nurburg and had to drive it to SPA and then from spa back to nurburg.

I asked...How do they tell how many miles I drove on the track and how many were on the street..............

According to RSR...(direct statement) They know exactly how many miles I drove ont the tarck and they know how many I "TRACK" miles I drove because they checked my mileage once i got to SPA before I got on the track and then after I got finished at the track... WELL THIS IS JUST A 100% UNTRUE....

The car was in my possession this whole time and was parked on the opposite side of the track from where the RSR group was.... where I was parked with a group of friends... also my car was locked anytime I was not in it on track because I had my helmet and hans device in the car and I was **** about it getting stolen.. and at lunch I drove the car to town with 3 people to get sandwiches.

So there is absolutly 100% no way this happened.

Also when I brought the car back to be check at RSR.. the tech told me I had only driven the car 47 kilometers total.. and I told him thats impossible as its 150km+ from Nurburg to Spa and he said "oh I must have written the mileage down wrong when you picked up the car yesterday"..s o this again showed me that they had no real record of mileage and they were just going from the seat of their pants with their "guestimates".

After discussing all this with RSR in person and via email and i disputed this with them and RSR still insisted that I have to pay this 404 euro extra fee.

At this point it was clear to me that they would try to say anything to get the money out of me and made me even more bothered with the whole situation.

There was also a lot of logistical issues with the whole event.

When I came to pick up the car from RSR and had to drive to Spa (remember I from the US and have never been to either place) I was given the car and directions in german (I dont speak german) and thats it. I had to make my way on my own with no help to spa.

After getting lost for 2-3 hours I finally made it, but was never given the name to my booked hotel so after driving around in circles I found a new hotel and booked a night for myself (11pm by this point).

After my day at SPA, I spent my whole second day at RSR waiting around for someone to help me... from 2pm (time I was supposed to go on track) to 7pm for my Nurburgring laps... which once i got on track at 7:00pm it had started to rain (after it being clear and beautiful weather all day). I was not happy with this either.

Suffice to say I was very unhappy with their service and how the handled my entire transaction.

The next day I ended renting another car at Nurburg to drive a 3rd day and I had a much better experience wit RENT4RING.de

It was a proper track car with full cage, seats, and toyo R888's... the car handled amazing for a 150 hp car.

Last edited by mobonic; 05-06-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:40 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

What did u do for Spa?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
mobonic
Drifting

You should rent a car from http://www.rent-racecar.de/english/index.htm

or at nurburgring use:

rent4ring.de
Old 05-05-2010, 01:16 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have some documentation or witnesses to support your claim, call the credit card provider and contest the charges. You won't have to pay a dime until the dispute is settled.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:17 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mobonic
You should rent a car from http://www.rent-racecar.de/english/index.htm

or at nurburgring use:

rent4ring.de
Maybe I am missing something... Isn't this also in Nuburgring? http://www.rent-racecar.de/english/index.htm
Old 05-05-2010, 02:02 PM
mobonic
Drifting

NO, that is not the company.

Last edited by mobonic; 05-06-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Call your credit card company and dispute it. They will put a hold on that charge so they don't get paid. When the company comes asking about the money, go over the contract you signed off on and that no where does it say about mileage.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:25 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
Maybe I am missing something... Isn't this also in Nuburgring? http://www.rent-racecar.de/english/index.htm
I meant this company still in Germany/Nurubrgring, so how did you rent a car for SPA here?

PS. Thanks for clarification, your edited post explains it well now... I am trying to do exactly the same, and I might try to find a rental car in Belgium for SPA!

Last edited by alexb76; 05-07-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:40 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

You should certainly contest the charges. My credit card companies have always refunded my money where I knew I was ripped off.

Also, is this a small shop or a larger chain, if it is a larger chain you might consider writing a letter to their corporate offices. I had to do that when I rented from Sixt when I was in Portugal and Spain. Ended up getting some money back.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Also, if the new charges are on a receipt you are requested to sign, DO NOT sign it. Once you sign the credit card receipt, Visa/MC/etc will assume that is your acceptance of those charges - its nigh impossible to contest them if you signed the receipt with the charges on it unless the services paid for were not delivered.

My experience there was a rental car in Garmisch-Partenkirchen where I hit the curbs on a country road along the side walk.. the very sharp granite stone curbs. They shredded the two passenger side tires and damaged the rims. I figured, no prob.. thats why I have the rental car insurance .. well on returning the car, the rental shop guy charged me for the 2 tires and rims, claiming its not covered under his rental car insurance as the damage was gross negligence (not just negligence)... as in "I ran into the curbs on purpose, or with forethought". Being a college student at the time, touring Europe with some friends I just signed the reciept as we had a train to catch. I should have not signed and taken the guy up on his offer to have him call the police then.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:44 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nah, don't worry if you signed anything or not. I've always won with CitiBank on my side. You were stuck in a situation and even though you knew they promised a track car and delivered a street one, you did not receive what was promised. As long as you have documentation of what you reserved, you should be fine. As to the 500 extra, that is plain and simple theft and not only should your CC back you on that one, you should report these guys to Germany's version of the BBB, etc.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:12 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

At the very least you should challenge the over milage charge.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:32 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
NO, that is not the company.
Is there any company there that rents 997 track prepped cars and if yes - what do they charge approximately? Who knows, may be I`ll be there some days on a business trip...
Old 05-06-2010, 09:17 PM
tkids
Pro

If it doesn't state anything in the contract regarding mileage, you might win that part of the dispute. Sorry for you Sh#t experience. I loved the Ring in my C4S.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:12 PM
dale_at_nurburg
AutoX

WOW... what a lot of cross posting for one vitriolic thread...

Shahine Mobine's initial enquiry - note the spec of the car explained to him.

The schedules and prices as taken from the Autovisie special offer that we extended to him:

Only 2 days from the event and he's still not sure what he wants, so we explain the options again and this time note how the km(distance) packages are stated again...

A screen grab of www.rsrnurburg.com/prices - note KM packages and 20km/1lap of the 'ring over-milage costs....

Shahine's signature noting that he understood all of this:

And, finally, after much last minute hullabaloo we get Mr. Mobine and his white Renaultsport Clio 197 Cup on to Spa Francorchamps for an uninterrupted day of lapping Spa Francorchamps!

Awesome day all round.

Contrary to what some have said... we have served over 4000 customers since I joined the company in 2007, and we have only had 2 that were so upset. That's only 0.0005% by my reckoning.

Yes, communications broke down near the end, but Shahine arrived having still not decided his package, arrived late (after we'd nearly all left for Spa!) and we STILL got him out there.

I'm at Spa on Monday, I will pull the pitlane camera footage for the day and count Shahine's laps by hand if he wants to be further embarrassed. Just because the Saturday boy in broken English thinks you've done 47km at one point (and you admit you know you'd done at least 3 times that) doesn't mean that you're not accountable for the final tally.

We're not talking about an Avis Clio 1.2 with 100kms extra, we're talking about a tyre-scrubbing FWD 200bhp Clio with Brembo brakes and Pagid pads doing an extra 25 laps of a 5-mile F1 circuit!

Tyres and pads alone run us around €1000 per set at trade and minus tax. And a committed driver on a dry track will be destroying them in short-order...

Shahine was here himself, signed the document, paid the bill, signed the credit card form and then decided after the event he paid too much.

Then he threatened 'bad reviews' online and began the cross-posting thread we have now seen on MANY different automotive forums...

As for all the other stuff, well we footed THREE hotel room bills after being asked to reserve rooms at Spa and Nurburg that Shahine asked us to... I told him to get off to Manthey and come back at 5pm to lap the 'ring, where did you go if not to Manthey???... sorry it rained at 6.30, but you still did the laps!

He asked for an instruction lap, I explained that it wasn't included in the basic package, and that I could put him out on track - do everything, but if it wasn't included in his package he would be charged when he came to leave.

As a customer, I'd give him a less than favourable review for sure!
3/10 (at least he didn't crash and jump over the barrier to avoid paying!)

Quick Reply: My bad experience renting a track car at Nurburgring