Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traveling to Germany... what to bring back?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:38 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Traveling to Germany... what to bring back?

I am heading to Germany for work... what DE specific stuff I should bring back? Most parts are actually cheaper here... but don't mind if I could bring a few DE-specific items back (that fits in the suitcase).

Any ideas?

PS. I am already talking to the Porsche club there to see if I can attend any events... we work with them, so I might get to do a Ring session!
Old 05-04-2010, 02:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

DE-specific items ?!? what? gloves, helmets, suits, shoes? Nah!

The Ring is open to the public. Just go there. There's a rental facility in the Ring where you can rent a car to drive the Ring with proper insurance. Cars rented outside of that are not usually insured in the Ring. Better yet hire Sabine for a hot lap.

There may be restrictions on the Ring now around the 24h event.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

If what you are looking for is available in the US, I would say that it is very likely better to buy here. Keep your eye out for something you cant' get in the US.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

As a frequent traveler to Germany over the years I will tell you that the exchange rate drives everything. It's just not worth it anymore to shop over there. Plus, you have to go through the hassle in getting your 19% VAT back. What you do bring back is moderately taxed by customs. Auto parts, in particular, are only hit up for 4%--virtually nothing. I see you already have your clear front corner markers so you don't need those. Perhaps you should schedule TIME to go check out the new museum. Take plenty of photos!
Old 05-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Does Germany still require a first aid kit for all local cars? If so, that might be a trick item worth bringing back. There was a holder for one under the passenger seat in my 2001 M5.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 186 Likes on 95 Posts

I'd agree with the other comments about bringing back parts. Not worth it. If you get a chance to do the Ring, jump at it. A ride with someone like Sabine would definitely be worth the high price of admission but driving it yourself is also a real "bucket list" experience if you can swing it. I did with my 996 back in 1999 and it was a thrill.

It might be difficult to arrange a factory tour at the last minute, but for sure see the Porsche museum if you're in Stuttgart. The new Mercedes museum is also supposed to be very cool; it was closed on the only day (Monday) we could have visited.
Attached Images    
Old 05-04-2010, 03:50 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Get a nice Stein! I did and proudly display it on my bar. As far as parts, doesn't pay.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:37 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Im at the airport oon my way back from germany.

I did the ring and spa!!!!! awesome!!!

spa is a must do for any track junkie... BEST TRACK I HAVE EVER DONE!

DO NOT use RSR Nurburg to rent your car.... they baited and switched me and I paid a arm and a leg for what was just a street car and then they hit me with a 500 euro surcharge.... and then they just laughed at me when i argued with them and told me they already charged my card and bye bye!

F U RSR Nurburg....

Next day I rented from Rent4Ring, great guys.. proper track cars and better service... will use them from now on.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:09 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I've done Porsche musuem and factory tour, if I EVER find time to upload the pics, will post them, probably took 300 pics! none from factory tour as no cameras were allowed.

I'd be in Heidelberg, so very close to Hockenheim, if I can make it out to Ring, will do, otherwise will see if I can at least do Hockenheim!

Originally Posted by mobonic
Im at the airport oon my way back from germany.

I did the ring and spa!!!!! awesome!!!

spa is a must do for any track junkie... BEST TRACK I HAVE EVER DONE!

DO NOT use RSR Nurburg to rent your car.... they baited and switched me and I paid a arm and a leg for what was just a street car and then they hit me with a 500 euro surcharge.... and then they just laughed at me when i argued with them and told me they already charged my card and bye bye!

F U RSR Nurburg....

Next day I rented from Rent4Ring, great guys.. proper track cars and better service... will use them from now on.
Cool! How did you make it out to Spa? Can you share? how to rent a car for SPA, which websites are best, etc...?

Also, what car did you get for Ring? How much? feel free to PM. Totally gotto do either of those!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:37 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 170 Posts

Huh. I'm headed to Germany in June and received confirmation on factory tour this morning. Do they give out free samples?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:19 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raspritz
Huh. I'm headed to Germany in June and received confirmation on factory tour this morning. Do they give out free samples?
Free samples of 911? OFCOURSE! I got two GT3RS!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

get sunvisors for your car without the airbag warnings.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:58 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

If you are going to picdk up snowglobes as gifts, have them shipped backed to the US.

I was bringing back two globes for my girls and they were confiscated by security because they contain "unknown" liquid

One of them was purchased inside the airport at Frankfurt and that was taken away in DC. The other was in my checked in luggage and that was also removed after landing in DC.

I ended up buying a pair of "DC" snow globes in the airport for the flight back to Raleigh.

John
Old 05-05-2010, 09:55 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did a SPA track day through RMA (they put on a great event).

I would rent a car for SPA through Rent a Racecar (http://www.rent-racecar.de/english/index.htm)

You can anything from a Golf to a new GT3!

If you have a lot of track experience I would rent a faster car for SPA like a lotus, M3 or GT3... its a very fast track and I was bored in my car by the end of the day. Althoug a nice friend let me take gis GT3 out for a few laps.

For the ring I would not get a car over 200hp for your first time... to many blind corners and turns.... just get a safe car like a suziki swift from (rent4ring.de)... i used it and it was great fun... slow in the straights but awesome in the turns.....

let me repat this..... DO NOT USE RSR NURBURG to rent a car.

They are thieves... and they dont care because they know you might not ever be back and they try to get more money from you anyway they can with hidden fee's and bs claims.... they overcharged me 500 EUROS for going over my mileage, when the specifically told me that I had plenty..... the use the good cop bad cop routine between the 2 owners....

I will be disputing the charge, so we'll see who gets the last laugh!
Old 05-05-2010, 11:44 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mobonic
I did a SPA track day through RMA (they put on a great event).

I would rent a car for SPA through Rent a Racecar (http://www.rent-racecar.de/english/index.htm)

You can anything from a Golf to a new GT3!

If you have a lot of track experience I would rent a faster car for SPA like a lotus, M3 or GT3... its a very fast track and I was bored in my car by the end of the day. Althoug a nice friend let me take gis GT3 out for a few laps.

For the ring I would not get a car over 200hp for your first time... to many blind corners and turns.... just get a safe car like a suziki swift from (rent4ring.de)... i used it and it was great fun... slow in the straights but awesome in the turns.....

let me repat this..... DO NOT USE RSR NURBURG to rent a car.

They are thieves... and they dont care because they know you might not ever be back and they try to get more money from you anyway they can with hidden fee's and bs claims.... they overcharged me 500 EUROS for going over my mileage, when the specifically told me that I had plenty..... the use the good cop bad cop routine between the 2 owners....

I will be disputing the charge, so we'll see who gets the last laugh!
Thanks man, who's RMA? Do you mean you rented from Germany and drove to SPA with it and back? Also, between RentRaceCar and Rent4Ring, which do you prefer?

I already contacted the Rent4Ring.

Which Suzuki did you get Stage 1/2/3? Was the 150HP ok?

Quick Reply: Traveling to Germany... what to bring back?