Sponsored by:

Rode in an Ariel Atom today

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Handoogies
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rode in an Ariel Atom today

This morning went to the track event at the F1 and to my surprise, an brand new Atom was there for friends of the sponsors to drive/passenger.

Build quality was better than expected (cost was 550.000RMB, or 80 grand in Shanghai) ran on full slicks. I thought the steering wheel having to come off for entry /exit was unnecessary, as there were plenty of room to slide in for two.

Impressions: Never been in a formula 1 or 2 car, but this must be pretty damn close given the g's we were pulling around corners. insane grip, engine loud as all get out, I never wear a helmet for track days but with this car you kinda "know" you need to wear one. Very short throw shifter (which unfortunately looks small and cheap, but thats a cheap mod) By far the fastest thing on the track today (997turbos, 430s, GTRs, some ricers) Did not clock the time, everyone with nice cars were just absolutely drooling over this car that prob costed only a fraction of their own ride.

So now many people are interested in buying one. Biggest issue for me is while you can have proper plates on this car in the states, certain laws (such as for nonexistant roof) and other government policies prohibits this car from getting a plate for the road, so it would be confined to the track only. I think I know much better ways to spend 80g or what might happen is that this will be a group buy for our car club. Very fun toy indeed.
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2010, 03:31 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I participated in the "Aerial Atom Experience" a couple of years ago at the Streets of Willow. Roughly a half day of driving and instruction. These cars handle wonderfully, with up to 300 hp in a very light car. I don't feel the need to buy one, since my Porsche gives me enough pleasure and functions as a daily driver as well. But if I had the discretionary cash, it would be fun to own an Atom.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Handoogies
Banned

They really need to invest in the R&D for a paddle grearbox. Would make it even more practical to blow by Scuds and Lambos instead of trying to shift on that tiny shifter with gloves on.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:44 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my friends has one. Ridiculous amazing cars, it makes everything else feel slow. It sucks to ride in without a helmet, cuz you take a lot of pebbles to the face! Also pretty scary on public roads when you look over and see an SUV coming at you and realize the bumper is higher than your head.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

I took part in a 3,000 mile Gumball style road trip around Europe in my TR6 !!! in 2006 and one of the guys taking part had an atom. Stunning looking car but on such a long trip which had very high weather temperatures during the day and very cold at night this car was really punishing for the occupants.

Not the most suitable for a trip like that (no luggage space whatsoever) more a track day car. My TR6 was not easy on the system either but at least I had a windshield and a radio.

My TR6 on the morning we set off - from Brands hatch race track.

My TR at the top of the Stelvio where we stayed overnight.
[/QUOTE]

My TR in Monaco pictured with the Aerial atom mentioned.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

Looks like a cool trip.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:10 PM
dp35
Pro

Ariel will be building Atoms in China for that market. Was this one built in China?

Local laws regarding street legality of these cars vary widely. Mine's legal in California, where I would normally expect anything this fun to not be allowed.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Handoogies
Banned

Originally Posted by dp35
Ariel will be building Atoms in China for that market. Was this one built in China?

Local laws regarding street legality of these cars vary widely. Mine's legal in California, where I would normally expect anything this fun to not be allowed.
Yes it was. The new China dealer said they are for the most part all made in China these days, though I can't confirm that personally.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2
I took part in a 3,000 mile Gumball style road trip around Europe in my TR6 !!!
Love your TR-6. I think I owned 25% of all the TR-4s imported into the USA when I was just out of high school.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Originally Posted by Marv
Love your TR-6. I think I owned 25% of all the TR-4s imported into the USA when I was just out of high school.
Thanks - and thanks to you and others in the USA who purchased TR's which made them viable for Triumph to produce so that we could enjoy them here too.

A short video clip one of the guys made on the trip the huge ascent to the top of the Stelvio ( my TR caught up a few hours later as usual)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwwtr...next=1&index=7
Old 05-09-2010, 08:58 PM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by Handoogies
Yes it was. The new China dealer said they are for the most part all made in China these days, though I can't confirm that personally.
That's not correct. Atoms are now built at the original UK factory for the European market, in Virginia for the US market, and in China for that market. This is the first I've heard of a Chinese built Atom shown in public.

Quick Reply: Rode in an Ariel Atom today