Sponsored by:

To S or Not to S

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:27 PM
996Pilot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To S or Not to S

I'm looking at two 2006 997 cabs for sale. One is a cobalt blue S with 32,xxx miles nominally equipped. The other is a C2 cab Seal Gray Met. with the same basic options except it has PASM and Sport Chrono and 23,xxx miles. Both are CPO'd. From what I'm told the C2 is "flawless" while the C2S has a few minor "stone chips" on the front end "consistent with mileage". Both are identically priced.

I'm trying to tell myself I can live with the minor stone chips and go with the S just for the sake of having the S (horsepower is king). My gut, however, tells me the C2 is the better car with PASM and Sport Chrono, lower miles and "flawless".

What would you do?

Oh yeah - when I say "horsepower is king" that all has to come within my budget so the Turbo is out of the question.

Let the games (opinions) begin. Really - I'm all ears. BTW my last car was a 1999 996 cab and I loved it. Still going strong (sold) at 65,000 miles.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a C2 tricked out to S specs. , I have always regretted not having the S, although my car is fast, flawless, 82k on the clock and going strong. It does not sound like the S has enough options. Either buy the C2 or wait till you find the perfect car, and you would not need to ask any questions. You will just "know"
Old 04-28-2010, 08:46 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

It sounds like the C2 (non-S) is a better deal.

A "stripped S" that is a bit rough with more miles for the same
money as a lower mile C2 that is in much better condition
is no comparison.

If you're buying an "S" for extra horsepower, you are missing
the boat. There is not much, if any, acceleration difference
between the "S" and the C2.

There are a lot of C2's which have more equipment than
the "S"'s.

To me, a C2 with PASM, PSE, 19" wheels, and a few other
creature comforts is better equipped and a better car
than a basic "s."

Go with the C2 if these are your only two choices.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:47 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

PASM and SC are no big deals, IMO. SC doesn't do much, really. The modest extra HP will only come in handy when you are passing somebody and the double yellow line is fast coming your way and the dbag you are passing speeds up.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:05 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

YeS

Actually, on the serious, here's what I think:

Have you seen both cars in person? I would recommend driving them back to back and also taking a close look at them to see if it "feels right". This is a very important and personal choice and I would not accept anything less than exactly what you want - this is your dream car, not a compromise.

Color is important to me. I personally despise blue cars. Some people love them. The Meteor Grey is a very nice color. I love the Slate Grey, but Meteor Grey is also very nice and not as flash as an all black car. Also, I love the round center of the "sport" steering wheel that comes with the S models, and like less the triangular stock one.

My thoughts on the options (my car has both, and I use both heavily):
* PASM (This was standard equipment on S models, so your S likely also has it - look for the button that looks like a shock absorber)
- the softer setting is extremely nice for "regular" roads where there's a bit of roughness. The well-dampened, yet firm suspension setting is one of the huge reasons I love my Porsche.
- the harder setting is fun for me - very immediate with feedback, but it's too hard for the GF as a passenger.

* Sport Chrono
- The "sport" setting creates a very immediate throttle and is much easier to "blip" on downshifts in corners (for me at least). I drive exclusively on "Sport" unless I am in traffic (easier to drive if the throttle is less sensitive).
- To me, the wart looks like *** on your dash - do you like it?

Things I would look for if I were you:
- PSE : great sound from the sport exhaust - expensive to add later
- Short Shift Kit : Can be added later at low cost
- Natural Brown Leather interior : if you haven't seen it, you will understand what I'm talking about if you do.

Bottom line:
If you have just started looking, don't be in too much of a hurry - enjoy the process of buying! You get to test drive all sorts of fun stuff!
If you find what you like, and the PPI and DME check out, go ahead! Smell the roses first though.

In any case, good luck and enjoy in good health!

Last edited by winkingchef; 04-28-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
It sounds like the C2 (non-S) is a better deal.

A "stripped S" that is a bit rough with more miles for the same
money as a lower mile C2 that is in much better condition
is no comparison.

If you're buying an "S" for extra horsepower, you are missing
the boat. There is not much, if any, acceleration difference
between the "S" and the C2.

There are a lot of C2's which have more equipment than
the "S"'s.

To me, a C2 with PASM, PSE, 19" wheels, and a few other
creature comforts is better equipped and a better car
than a basic "s."

Go with the C2 if these are your only two choices.
+1
Old 04-28-2010, 10:06 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LlBr
PASM and SC are no big deals,
I like PASM, you S.O.B.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello marketing... buy it from the factory or... DIY
Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 PM
luisimo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the great joys of owning a Porsche, are the options. Drive both and see if the HP is enough to make you forget about desirables.

A few can be added later but not all. To me PASM, SPORT CHRONO, Navigation, PSE, PSS, 19' wheels, All leather adaptive seats and HID lights were very important. End up getting a C2 with all the options that I wanted and never stop loving it.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:33 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by luisimo
One of the great joys of owning a Porsche, are the options. Drive both and see if the HP is enough to make you forget about desirables.

A few can be added later but not all. To me PASM, SPORT CHRONO, Navigation, PSE, PSS, 19' wheels, All leather adaptive seats and HID lights were very important. End up getting a C2 with all the options that I wanted and never stop loving it.
I couldn't agree more.
Except for the 19 foot wheels--they get a little
too large on the 997.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:39 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I couldn't agree more... how about 20"?
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2010, 11:18 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
I like PASM, you S.O.B.
lol. Yes. Nice to have, I have it also, but not essential for public roads.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:08 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove both PDK models and to me with sport chrono in an S there is a marked difference.
Plus no matter what people tell you, you will always feel like you settled.
If youre buying a car at this level then you shouldnt compromise to save
a couple bucks when to convert it later will be more costly.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:20 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It seems that back in 2006 the majority of the 997 models that came to America were the S models. Just my personal observation. Due to the higher taxes overseas, the non-S models sold better overseas. The S has a worthwhile HP jump 325 vice 355.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:21 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 996Pilot
I'm looking at two 2006 997 cabs for sale. One is a cobalt blue S with 32,xxx miles nominally equipped. The other is a C2 cab Seal Gray Met. with the same basic options except it has PASM and Sport Chrono and 23,xxx miles. Both are CPO'd. From what I'm told the C2 is "flawless" while the C2S has a few minor "stone chips" on the front end "consistent with mileage". Both are identically priced.

I'm trying to tell myself I can live with the minor stone chips and go with the S just for the sake of having the S (horsepower is king). My gut, however, tells me the C2 is the better car with PASM and Sport Chrono, lower miles and "flawless".

What would you do?

Oh yeah - when I say "horsepower is king" that all has to come within my budget so the Turbo is out of the question.

Let the games (opinions) begin. Really - I'm all ears. BTW my last car was a 1999 996 cab and I loved it. Still going strong (sold) at 65,000 miles.
I recently was in the same position and agree with OldGuy--don't settle. winkingchef also has it right--don't hurry your decision. There are many of these cars for sale. I spent a couple of months looking and one Sunday evening on cars.com a new listing showed up and I emailed the out-of-state dealer--the '06 C4S was mine about two weeks later. I couldn't have equipped it any better, really, and the color (also Seal Grey) was fine with me. I had seen others but none really clicked until this one. And I never even drove one before--I just new what I wanted (35 years of lust will do that to you)!

I realize that most of us here (including myself) feel the urge to get something and just go for it, but it's worthwhile to wait for what you want. The car you want at the price you want will show up--don't rush it!

Quick Reply: To S or Not to S