trunk lid not lined up with bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:30 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default trunk lid not lined up with bumper

Hi folks,

I suspect this has been discussed before but I couldn't find any info using basic search. Maybe someone can help.

My trunk right on the front of the car sits just a bit lower than the front bumper. I have noticed this same thing on many 997 pics. Is this something that can be easily adjusted?

Do you need a picture or do you know what I'm talking about?

Thanks,

-T
Old 04-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noticed on my 997.2 when I picked it up
Fine by me rather than risk a proper seal by adjusting, although it does require some pressure to close the frunk.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:20 PM
tpenta
Racer

Well, it's definitely not a big deal. I was just wondering if it's something easy to adjust. Wasn't sure if the locking mechanism has a leveling adjustment.

Thanks,

-T
Old 04-25-2010, 09:55 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i thought i had the same issue. i was staring at the thing over and over until i finally asked the premier body shop what to do. they told me they could measure it precisely and basically bend it a bit. i ended up convincing myself it was the light and not out of line and never acted on it. i have a tendency to believe this isn't that uncommon.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
Hi folks,

I suspect this has been discussed before but I couldn't find any info using basic search. Maybe someone can help.

My trunk right on the front of the car sits just a bit lower than the front bumper. I have noticed this same thing on many 997 pics. Is this something that can be easily adjusted?

Do you need a picture or do you know what I'm talking about?

Thanks,

-T
The front trunk lid leading edge wants to be lower than the front bumper cover. This is on purpose. The cars come this way from the factory. Visit dealer lot and see for yourself.

Some owners have adjusted the front trunk lid higher -- thinking the lid shold be flush with bumper cover -- but this causes a wind noise.

If the lid latches securely and there is no noise and trunk stays drive even when the car driven in heavy rain then leave it alone. Everything is fine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

This is normal. I beleive that the trunk lid being lower reduces the effects of small debri abraiding the leading edge of the lid.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:20 AM
mossjn
Advanced

Mine did the same thing until last week. I was told by a body shop to adjust the height of the black rubber bumper where the trunk lid meets the trunk. There is a bumper on each side. Simply raise or lower by twisting the bumper which screws into the trunk edge.

Try it and see if this does it. It worked for me where one side of the trunk lid was level with the bumper and the other side was a bit off.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mossjn
Mine did the same thing until last week. I was told by a body shop to adjust the height of the black rubber bumper where the trunk lid meets the trunk. There is a bumper on each side. Simply raise or lower by twisting the bumper which screws into the trunk edge.

Try it and see if this does it. It worked for me where one side of the trunk lid was level with the bumper and the other side was a bit off.
+1, I did the same with my front trunk lid. The passenger side was lower than the driver side when closed, so I adjusted the rubber stopper until both sides were even. Nice and easy.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:15 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This is what it should look like from in front of the car. This is set properly.
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2010, 04:46 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
The front trunk lid leading edge wants to be lower than the front bumper cover. This is on purpose. The cars come this way from the factory. Visit dealer lot and see for yourself.

Some owners have adjusted the front trunk lid higher -- thinking the lid shold be flush with bumper cover -- but this causes a wind noise.

If the lid latches securely and there is no noise and trunk stays drive even when the car driven in heavy rain then leave it alone. Everything is fine.
Definitely. This is a detail I checked when we bought ours. Porsche not only ships them that way, it is one of the details a certified body shop is trained to get right.

You can adjust either side by rotating the bumper stops if the panel is uneven from side to side, but you always want the leading edge of the panel to be slightly lower than the panel ahead. You can see other examples if you walk around the car looking closely. I suspect it is important to boundary layer control and thus achieving the low coefficient of drag we enjoy. However, I'm not an aerodynamicist so take that speculation for what it's worth.

Gary
Old 04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful messing with the lid's weatherstrip seal. It protects sensitive electronics. IMO, It doesn't appear to be a solid "high-confidence" design arrangement.
Attached Images  

Last edited by LlBr; 04-28-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:44 AM
tpenta
Racer

Ok guys. Thanks for all the info. Sounds like it is normal.

What do you know! The car is perfect after all...

-T

Quick Reply: trunk lid not lined up with bumper