Sponsored by:

Fair price for used PSE?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:33 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Fair price for used PSE?

Just wondering what's a fair price for good conditioned used PSE? or what people have paid in the past?

I am more inclined to buy new since mounting hardware and wiring maybe affected in used ones, unless I can have at least a few hundred savings.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:03 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Alex: I think I paid around $1400 for mine a couple of years ago, complete with the solenoid, wiring etc. I've seen them advertised for less. It isn't easy finding them with all the wiring, as the cost of removing the wiring is sometimes more than people want to spend when removing the system. There isn't really any mounting hardware. Just be sure to check that all the vacuum tubes, solenoid, wiring harness etc. is included, as some people sell just the PSE mufflers.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:38 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex- I paid $1000 USD + shipping for mine used, including wiring connection, solenoid, vacuum tubes, etc. back in mid-February. If there are PSE mufflers only for sale at a good price, you may want to check with Suncoast etc, to see how much the wiring and/or vacuum lines would cost if purchased separately. As Ken said, there is really no mounting hardware to speak of (you re-use your existing hardware). Pretty big discount to go used (over a thousand) as new is north of $2000.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:00 AM
djlod
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a used PSE for $750 shipped late last year (on 6speed).
I had it installed for $100 (only swapping the cans, no wiring).
My PSE is "on" all the time, and I really don't mind not having a switch to shut it off.
I think it's perfect, not too loud and not too quiet.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:16 AM
djlod
Advanced

Prior to purchasing my PSE, I did a search on 6speed to figure out the going rate for a used set.
I remember seeing a used PSE that sold for about $780 (middle 2009).
I also recall a used PSE that sold for approx $300 (early 2009).
Good luck.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:11 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Wow. I saw a guy asking 1800 for his! Thanks guys. I will look elsewhere or look at brand new.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:23 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by alexb76
Wow. I saw a guy asking 1800 for his! Thanks guys. I will look elsewhere or look at brand new.
I'm not a big fan of the PSEs (Sorry Rob). I didn't want to press a button every time I started the car so I pulled the plug and had them in sport mode all the time.

Then both mufflers broke and not covered by CPO. Sounded like crap and had to replace both of them. My dealer wanted $811 a piece for the mufflers. Suncoast Porsche wanted $629 a piece plus shipping.

Ended up having the dealer install new PSE when they replaced the engine last month. I should have gone with Fabspeed.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:39 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
I'm not a big fan of the PSEs (Sorry Rob). I didn't want to press a button every time I started the car so I pulled the plug and had them in sport mode all the time.

Then both mufflers broke and not covered by CPO. Sounded like crap and had to replace both of them. My dealer wanted $811 a piece for the mufflers. Suncoast Porsche wanted $629 a piece plus shipping.

Ended up having the dealer install new PSE when they replaced the engine last month. I should have gone with Fabspeed.
I actually DO like the option to press a button, as in many cases you don't wanna attract unwanted attention!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:52 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You might consider some of the aftermarket options. You don't need a button to be able to avoid unwanted attention. Most exhaust systems are civil in the lower RPM band, but when you step on it you get the scream. With aftermarket you save money, save weight, and can actually get a little boost in performance (you won't with PSE). Also I think if you add PSE later you won't get the button, though I think installers can rig something up in your ashtray to be able to press.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:52 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I actually DO like the option to press a button, as in many cases you don't wanna attract unwanted attention!
I agree Alex. When I had the PSE, I often ran in quiet mode when I just wanted to mellow out a little. To me, if I wanted loud all the time, I'd just do a Gundo hack or aftermarket mufflers and save the weight and expense of the PSE mufflers.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Ferdie
Advanced

Originally Posted by RonCT
Also I think if you add PSE later you won't get the button, though I think installers can rig something up in your ashtray to be able to press.
If my memory serves me right, there is an additional kit for retrofit to establish the wiring, both with or without sport chrono package. I personally appreciate the sound always on...
Old 04-19-2010, 05:31 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

My used PSE, with 3K miles plus unopened electrical kit cost me $900 in 06 for my 06S.
None available for my 09, so I paid full minus the 25% discount special.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:26 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Others would know better, but I'd read here at the forums that the muffler button is not possible, that everyone puts in a "dummy switch" inside the ashtray or other location.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:33 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Of course the muffler button is possible in the 05 to 08 cars.
Sport chrono button initiates, for cars with.
Separate button for cars without!
Just a pain to rewire!
Ashtray switch is the best way to go if install later, no DME problem!!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:17 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
Others would know better, but I'd read here at the forums that the muffler button is not possible, that everyone puts in a "dummy switch" inside the ashtray or other location.
With Sports chrono no button is needed. Sports button will do the trick.

I just haven't heard any other exhaust that sounds better than PSE at a lower cost!

Quick Reply: Fair price for used PSE?