Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping to bucket seats on weekends - how hard is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:47 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm not familiar with the "extender" you're referring to or how it's configured, but you might be interested in this article at the SFI Foundation web site. There's some good info here about the correct angles for installation of racing shoulder harnesses, and the risks if it's not done properly. Among other things it talks about how the attachment point for the harness should be straight back from, and not be too far above or below, the driver's shoulders.

http://www.sfifoundation.com/seatbelt.html
Ok, it was some sort of a retrofit to get a 4-point harness fitted in a normal car, one side of the harness was connected to the rear seat belt runnin over the seat (may not be possible on Porsche), the other to the drivers seat, to get full harness on both sides of shoulder down.

Here: http://www.soloracer.com/audivwrallye4.html

What about this CG Lock? I saw Ron has posted he used it before, would that make any big difference?

Last edited by alexb76; 04-18-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:00 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ack! There is no seat belt / harness setup that works safely with the stock Porsche seats. If you want to comply with the safety features of the car, the only option is the Sport Buckets.

I tried a CG lock and didn't use it again - probably have it sitting in my track box somewhere... PM me if you are interested in it.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:46 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I use the CG lock because as most of you know my left leg is useless and I cannot use it on the dead pedal to hold me in place.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
That's why I wanted to swap them after events, but doesn't sound like that reasonable.
You can certainly do it, and I know people who do (and track theirs a lot--we have long DE seasons here in Texas). I had GT3 seats in my 01 Turbo and put them in (along with a harness bar) and left them in until I got rid of the car. I'm lazy, what can I say.

Of course, there was no difference in terms of airbags since the 996's don't have airbags in the seats.

Honestly, I think folks are being paranoid on damage. Yes, you do have to fight the temptation of becoming complacent and careless. The first time you remove and replace the seats you will, by nature, be very careful. After you have done that several times is when complacency sets it. So watch yourself every time. Yes, the seat tracks are sharp and the stock seats are heavy. Cover everything and watch yourself.

You would want to invest in an extra pair of seat belt buckles--that was always the slowest part of doing the switch (I put my GT3 seats in and out of my 02 Boxster S a couple of times). Then it's just a fairly simple matter of removing 4 bolts and unplugging the seat belt buckle.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:03 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

P.S. Nice new avatar Mike!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:04 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I use the CG lock because as most of you know my left leg is useless and I cannot use it on the dead pedal to hold me in place.
How much does it help?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

I swap my factory sport seats in my GT3 for recaro's and 6 point harness for de's. There is some nice instructions on Planet Porsche forum. Not a bad job, 1 .5 to 2hours. Disconnect battery, 2. Towels down, 4 bolts each seat, unplug one power line driver seat, 2 power lines passenger. A bit heavy on the in/out carry.
I prefer stock seats away from track. Recaro's sit tall, tight under wheel. I have done this several times a year. I do replace bolts,from time to time, $15.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:44 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
How much does it help?
Well it helps me a ton. I recline my seat back and grab the shoulder strap and yank it hard to lock it and then move the seat back up into place so that the shoulder strap is tight against me.

In a more perfect world I would have the same seat set up RonCT has in his car but I do not fit in Porsche GT2 Sport Bucket seats. After speaking with my State Farm agent I am very unsure about disabling the side air bag in my car. If I got in a wreck on the street and I had "race seats" in the car most likely I would not be covered due to the alteration.

Quick Reply: Swapping to bucket seats on weekends - how hard is it?