Sponsored by:

2009 PCM 3.0 NAV retrofit - reversed! :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:40 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts
Default 2009 PCM 3.0 NAV retrofit - reversed! :(

Well after almost a month of trial and error and multiple trips to the dealer my PCM 3.0 Nav upgrade/retrofit was reversed by my dealer last week. Seems as tho while you can order a car with Sat XM radio, PCM 3.0, and Nav and bluetooth/ipod/aux; you can ONLY order the retrofit with PCM 3.0 and NaV. I lost my SAT XM radio and my bluetooth and ipod couldn't be re-coded to work on the new unit. So I had them switch back to my old PCM 3.0 and viola I had all the above working except of course NO NAV. My service mgr said that Porsche AG had issued a new service bulletin specifically regarding PCM 3.0 NAV retrofits (due to my car) and what they experienced. Hey I want royalties! LOL I guess we are the guinea pigs out there huh but I think my dealer is getting a little tired of learning with my car...such as the earlier lesson they learned that PSE installation in a 2009 C2S does take longer than 3.5 hrs as the cars are NOT fully wired from the factory IF PSE was not ordered originally! LOL

For those curious on price...My kit cost $4200 parts, install, taxes. That was after using a 20% discount coupon that Porsche NA put out last month that ended 31 March that my dealer honored. I believe Suncoast's kit is $3900. So it is not a cheap upgrade but one I was willing to try.

BE ADVISED however that you will NOT be able to get a unit with Sat XM and that Bluetooth/ipod should work but mine did not this is from Porsche NA. These functions are built into the PCM circuit boards/units so they come specific to the PCM 3.0 unit it seems. Also ALL enabling codes for NAV and those functions are held by Porsche AG in Germany and MUST be obtained WITH each unit (they are specific to the UNIT and VIN) and used to unlock those functions. Without the secret envelope (I am serious) with those codes your unit will NOT function. Trust me it took 3 trips to the dealer to figure this out and multiple electrons between my dealer, Porsche NA, and Porsche AG. Also be advised that your old PCM 3.0 MAY NOT work in another Porsche if sold and an install is attempted into the new car as the coding may not match the VIN and may disable the unit or leave certain options nonfunctional. Porsche NA's explanation for this was security/theft protection? Personally I think its just plain nuts and paranoid/schizophrenia or something! But they are the boss in this matter I guess. So the e-keys to PCM 3.0 kingdom do lie securely in Germany my friends. This may also explain why no Aftermarket Sat Radio and/or Bluetooth options have appeared yet on these cars while multiple ones (Denison, mbridge, etc) exist for PCM 2.1-2.3 units out there for those who want them.

SO I got my $$ back and will wait for them to unscrew this mess and make it more readily available before I try again. A Garmin costs 90% less and does the same job when I need it and I use Sat radio and bluetooth/ipod much more than looking at the map and watching Nav announce turns. Aftermarket was an option as I did with my 2009 Boxster but I decided to keep it real and original.

Yes folks are right in that it is cheaper to buy the car with NAV installed from the factory...also alot less headache producing too! Good luck. Any questions feel free to PM me. Rob
Old 04-14-2010, 02:22 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Rob
thats great info

Stan
Old 04-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, that seems really crazy stupid design work by Porsche AG in my view.

To use software keys to enable features and key them to hardware and the vehicle VIN is a good idea.

To not install standard and complete wire harnesses and to not have all option modules be plug in hardware cards and/or enabling by such software keys is stupid. Differing main circuit boards? Really?

So a PCM3 main board with NAV and XM is different than one with just NAV. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:16 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a problem with the PCM unit that required it to be completely replaced... Brand new car...
They called when the new unit arrived and I made the trip back to the dealer for the install..
The original PCM had XM radio in it but I discovered after a week or two that the new unit didn't have (XM)as part of the package... So back to the dealer I go to tell them that I don't have XM radio in the new PCM... They attempt to recode it or something but the outcome is that they tell me the reason I don't have XM in the PCM is that it's not part of the package for that PCM.. I told them that that's OK but to get a check ready for me for the amount I paid for the feature at time of purchase.. $750.
This will be my fourth trip to the dealer for this stupid PCM..
I was going to play hardball with them and tell them to add NAV to the new package for free to cover all the aggravation I've had so far.. Looks like that's not an option as an add on....
Old 04-15-2010, 03:37 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Minok
Wow, that seems really crazy stupid design work by Porsche AG in my view.

To use software keys to enable features and key them to hardware and the vehicle VIN is a good idea.

To not install standard and complete wire harnesses and to not have all option modules be plug in hardware cards and/or enabling by such software keys is stupid. Differing main circuit boards? Really?

So a PCM3 main board with NAV and XM is different than one with just NAV. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
Yes if you look at the side of a PCM 3.0 it has the encoded modules printed on the side in tags/labels. They will be different ones depending on what it is built as. Boards are different with NAV vs those without NAV and same as those with XM Sat vs those without XM Sat. Go figure...one multifunctional board seems to be an easier solution.
Originally Posted by jakes dad
I had a problem with the PCM unit that required it to be completely replaced... Brand new car...
They called when the new unit arrived and I made the trip back to the dealer for the install..
The original PCM had XM radio in it but I discovered after a week or two that the new unit didn't have (XM)as part of the package... So back to the dealer I go to tell them that I don't have XM radio in the new PCM... They attempt to recode it or something but the outcome is that they tell me the reason I don't have XM in the PCM is that it's not part of the package for that PCM.. I told them that that's OK but to get a check ready for me for the amount I paid for the feature at time of purchase.. $750.
This will be my fourth trip to the dealer for this stupid PCM..
I was going to play hardball with them and tell them to add NAV to the new package for free to cover all the aggravation I've had so far.. Looks like that's not an option as an add on....
Yes my friend see the following post...it is a reply from a PM I did after talking to my service mgr who did all the phone/email tag with Porsche AG regarding my PCM 3.0 retrofit. Seem he bought a PCM 3.0 from a Lithuania seller on ebay..so he may be up that well named creek without a paddle as he tried to get NAV updated and working. But yes you are correct...PCM 3.0 retrofit can add NAV but you lose XM Sat if you do so. However IF your unit had XM Sat from the factory the dealer CAN order a direct replacement PCM 3.0 with XM NAV to replace what your car was equiped with when it rolled off the production line in Zuffenhausen or wherever...your parts mgmt just needs to have your specific VIN when he orders the unit from Porsche AG who will match it to its master production VIN list and send the correct unit back to them for install. HOWEVER you cannot say have a PCM 3.0 unit without XM and without NAV and then ask for a unit with all them and just swap it in...won't work with out the double secret probation code from Porsche AG which they aren't releasing...nor can the dealer just recoded it (mines tried...they don't have these codes locally...in 2009 for PCM 3.0 they reside in Germany)...they tried to pull a PCM 3.0 with everything and just put it in my car to see if it would take...everything NOT coded originally to the VIN promptly shut down when installed in my car and would NOT work/enable although once restored to its proper place in the production car it was coded for...all worked well. Same for my PCM 3.0 originally in my car...once re-installed Sat XM and BT and aux/phone worked instantly! Talk about crazy...here's the PM reply for additonal clarification.

"Just got a PM from someone who bought a European PCM 3.0 on ebay and is having functionality problems (i.e. can't get it to enable NAV and such)...spoke to my dealer's service mgr who was talking to Porsche for me on my car and had all the info and put that question to him and here's my reply after a long Q&A with him... so guys beware out there.

"ah I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is very likely you CANNOT update as your tech is saying. I know cause I just went thru this about 3 times and with a full months worth of conversations between my service mgr, parts mgr, Porsche NA and Porsche AG. From what I can tell and they can decipher...NAV in PCM 3.0 resides on the PCM 3.0 Unit harddrive itself and each unit is built seperately for its respective market thus you have PCM 3.0 with XM for the US, PCM 3.0 w/out XM for US, PCM 3.0 with XM AND NAV for US and PCM 3.0 w/out XM BUT WITH NAV for US and then European with NAV PCM 3.0 and Euro w/out NAV PCM 3.0 and yada..yada. From what I can understand from mutiple folks at my dealership from sales mgr to service and parts mgr...this is part of the problem as Porsche didn't plan on the PCM 3.0 being a retrofit thus so many different types available..but for build and order it seems. Porsche then decided with PCM 3.0 to keep the enable codes internal in Zuffenhaven or wherever in Germany...and they ONLY release them per VIN and pair them by VIN it seems.

SOO...if you pay Suncoast $4000k (or like my dealer a little less) they will order you a Brand spanking new PCM 3.0 unit WITHOUT XM Sat but with NAV built in for US. However in doing so my service guys found a few things...the unit is coded for SIM card phone use NOT for BT connection so my phone would pair but not recognized for handsfree use..thus NO phone. My service folks seem to thought they can reverse that by enabling the regular BT phone by deactivating the sim slot fxn but no promises there. And MOST importantly as you kinda of lead into...the PCM's are linked by VIN and this MUST be coded by Porsche AG to the car...thus you cannot sell your PCM 3.0 to another guy to use on his car as the VIN's won't match (the units are hardcoded to the vehicle VIN) and thus the unit will deactivate those nice functions you are trying to use...and just give you basic functions (radio, CD on my unit after initial install...nothing else worked)...THAT is what your unit looks to have done when you installed it. SO without the master unlock code which comes with EACH new PCM 3.0 unit (retrofit or replacement) from Porsche AG you are not going to get it to work. Trust me I know...after 30 days of trying I had a 1/2 functioning unit and Porsche asking for my VIN to verify that it was indeed correct for my car and build(my unit didn't have the codes sent...they come in a white envelope attached to the new PCM 3.0 unit from Porsche when shipped).

So I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you may not get to where you want with the unit you have...cause it is a European unit most likely and probably cause you'll never get that Euro VIN nor get it to match up with US maps and updates and I'd think you may always get some nagging problems if by change you get it done. So your only bet MAY be to spend the $$$ for the US retrofit by Suncoast IF you got that route still. For me...I'll wait a min and see if Porsche AG gets some sense and fixes this mess. Until then its my Garmin Nuvi 1690T as I need it! LOL

Good Luck
Rob"
Old 04-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

To some extent I can understand Porsche's position... if you want a feature, the are the sole source of delivering that feature to you.. you cannot exchange PCM's and buy them 3rd party and get them to work. That does undercut the ability to chop-shop-resell such parts, which is nice. The problem is, what does one do with the old PCM taken out, when a new replacement PCM with the right features enabled and coded to my VIN gets installed. That old PCM is coded to my VIN and only works in my car. I've now payed for 2x of the hardware... for no reason. The upgrade path should provide for core charge return of the PCM3 you pulled out... because it seems silly to have to pay for multiple copies of the hardware. Primarly, its a problem that manifests in the US style auto market of buying off the lot or the used market where you want to add a feature the original owner didn't purchase.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
To some extent I can understand Porsche's position... if you want a feature, the are the sole source of delivering that feature to you.. you cannot exchange PCM's and buy them 3rd party and get them to work. That does undercut the ability to chop-shop-resell such parts, which is nice. The problem is, what does one do with the old PCM taken out, when a new replacement PCM with the right features enabled and coded to my VIN gets installed. That old PCM is coded to my VIN and only works in my car. I've now payed for 2x of the hardware... for no reason. The upgrade path should provide for core charge return of the PCM3 you pulled out... because it seems silly to have to pay for multiple copies of the hardware. Primarly, its a problem that manifests in the US style auto market of buying off the lot or the used market where you want to add a feature the original owner didn't purchase.
Porsche's stance on this and not having a standard wiring harness in the 997 is total BS. This is my fifth Porsche, but the more I read about problems like this and other PCM issues, oil consumption, exhaust soot, peeling switch gear plus Porsche refusing to address or admit these are even problems...not what I expect or am willing to put up with.

Fortunately, at this point in time, I am not having to deal with any of these issues with my car and hope I don't. I can say I now have doubts about the brand and would think long and hard before I paid that kind of money again with no recourse if I got an oil burner or a sooter.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i get that this is messy and i'm eager for a solution to get XM in my car - but not very optimistic?

are you saying that your dealer bought the replacement part from ebay???

Yes my friend see the following post...it is a reply from a PM I did after talking to my service mgr who did all the phone/email tag with Porsche AG regarding my PCM 3.0 retrofit. Seem he bought a PCM 3.0 from a Lithuania seller on ebay..so he may be up that well named creek without a paddle as he tried to get NAV updated and working.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:40 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brendorenn
i get that this is messy and i'm eager for a solution to get XM in my car - but not very optimistic?

are you saying that your dealer bought the replacement part from ebay???
No was saying that I was contacted by a Rennlister who bought a PCM 3.0 unit OFF ebay and was trying to get it installed by his dealer without luck. Due to the reasons I noted most likely.

Quick Reply: 2009 PCM 3.0 NAV retrofit - reversed! :(