Sponsored by:

hard time backing up

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:54 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts
Default hard time backing up

dont know if its related to my car being new and that it really has not backed up that much but my P's having so much difficulty backing up. the cars seems so effortless moving forward as it should be but backing up seems like somethings stuck. it feels like the first time the pdk moved forward rough and difficult. how do we fix this? should i run the car backwards a few thousnad kilometers to let pdk learn it can back up the car? really ackward feeling. something is not right...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:09 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

What do you mean ?!? Reverse is a high gear and the car should move slowly as it is used for parking manoeuvers. What else do you want?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:54 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

well, for starters, something all other cars iv owned, which is to say not a few, do, back up smoothly.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Ok. Have it checked.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a fix for that
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I think Ricks problem is the same issue I had Tony. He is probably not letting it warm up. I have had the same problem.
Rick Tony explained when the motor is cold the ECU is doing some calibrations and making adjustments in the first few minutes while the Cats are warming up. If you let it warm up before taking off your problems will go away.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is a fix for that
I see you havent accepted Change yet 964C4. Porsche has counseling for you. Those who havent partaken in the PDK religion can seek help through their own dealers. What you have IS treatable
Some guys start understanding on their own. They start getting past on the track by the seemingly same model. But after some investigation the driver finds out the PDK driver is must faster around the track with his less than optimal shifting talent. Then they start converting.
(this was all in humor)
Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I think Ricks problem is the same issue I had Tony. He is probably not letting it warm up. I have had the same problem.
Rick Tony explained when the motor is cold the ECU is doing some calibrations and making adjustments in the first few minutes while the Cats are warming up. If you let it warm up before taking off your problems will go away.
Paul: Does the OP have a PDK? In any case, letting an engine warm up is key, notwithstanding what the Owners manual says.

I do not understand what he means. Initially I though he meant the reverse was not responsive enough then later he said was not as smooth as others !? Which is it?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I see you havent accepted Change yet 964C4. Porsche has counseling for you. Those who havent partaken in the PDK religion can seek help through their own dealers. What you have IS treatable
Some guys start understanding on their own. They start getting past on the track by the seemingly same model. But after some investigation the driver finds out the PDK driver is must faster around the track with his less than optimal shifting talent. Then they start converting.
(this was all in humor)
You are right.

I just hope next generation PDK will have less "bugs". Then I will just have to add a dummy clutch pedal to it to satisfy my stone age instincts.

And Rick, I do not have a PDK car, but I did want to order my car with PDK. However, after an extended test drive, I have noticed that the car was kinda hesitating/resisting when moving from stop in either direction. I even observed minor jerks as if a manual was not been clutched properly. My dealer said that is how all PDK's are. That just how it drives. I realy didnt like that, so i went with the manual. That explains my rude remark above, sorry. I really think to get rid off all the jerking and hesitating in the current PDK, one needs to stick with the stick. For now, anyway.

Cheers
Stan
Old 04-06-2010, 10:31 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

for clarification, the issue is present hot or cold engine. when i put in reverse it seems that the engine has to fight against something to back up. feels like dragging brakes. it takes more accelrator input to back up. dragging brakes is the exact feeling. its like the engine is fighting with brakes to back up.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:40 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Does that happen on a level surface or on an incline with the front pointing down? It could be start off assist intervening...
Old 04-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Default reverse gear ratio

More than likely you feeling the difference between the gear ratios between first and reverse. First has a lower ratio than reverse. You need less throttle input to take off smoothly in first and more for reverse. I find it to be that way with my manual Porsches I've owned in the past and in my new C2S. I have to slip the clutch more, and give it more throttle when backing up. The difference is so great between 1st and reverse to me, that sometimes it catches me out, and I actually stall the car. No I am not embarrassed to admit that, I'd rather stall the car with too little throttle than fry the clutch. I recently test drove a new C4S with PDK and noticed the same thing you have experienced, not dragging brakes, but simply more throttle input to get the car going backwards.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Todd in PA
More than likely you feeling the difference between the gear ratios between first and reverse. First has a lower ratio than reverse. You need less throttle input to take off smoothly in first and more for reverse. I find it to be that way with my manual Porsches I've owned in the past and in my new C2S. I have to slip the clutch more, and give it more throttle when backing up. The difference is so great between 1st and reverse to me, that sometimes it catches me out, and I actually stall the car. No I am not embarrassed to admit that, I'd rather stall the car with too little throttle than fry the clutch. I recently test drove a new C4S with PDK and noticed the same thing you have experienced, not dragging brakes, but simply more throttle input to get the car going backwards.
That's what I implied in my original reply.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

So many people on this forum have so many odd issues with these cars or perceived issues. PDK is NOT going to feel like a automatic transmission!!!!! In reverse you can actually feel the clutch grab like a manual....there is NOTHING wrong with PDK in this sense.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:00 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdrums
So many people on this forum have so many odd issues with these cars or perceived issues. PDK is NOT going to feel like a automatic transmission!!!!! In reverse you can actually feel the clutch grab like a manual....there is NOTHING wrong with PDK in this sense.
Mike: I always appreciate your posts.

Quick Reply: hard time backing up