Self Car Wash So Cal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Self Car Wash So Cal?

I've always washed my car by hand and I just moved into a condo and I'd like to find a do it yourself car wash in the Rancho Cucamonga CA area. In MA, where I'm from, there are tons of them. In fact many full service car washes have a few self service bays. They have a medium pressure wand with soap etc. I intend to use my own bucket and soap but figure it would be easier than getting a hose and leaving the condo parking lot flooded with water.

I know there are hand wash car washes but I'm looking for one where I can do it myself. Are there any around?

If not, how meticulous are the hand wash places. I'm careful about keeping the sponge clean (different sponge for wheels etc.) and I'm wondering if their sponges are just going to put someone else's grit onto my car resulting in scratches.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 04-06-2010, 06:00 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Two words: No Rinse, as in Optimum No Rinse.

Another demo on an F430:
F430
The following users liked this post:
ATX_Native (10-20-2022)
Old 04-06-2010, 06:15 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1. ONR is THE way to go. I use it and it works GREAT!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHDX2
+1. ONR is THE way to go. I use it and it works GREAT!
Still looking for a SELF SERVICE car wash in the area. I still am washing it by hand but I'd like to use a Self Service car wash in between, like after it rains but before I get a chance to give it a thorough washing.

I haven't seen any around and Google hasn't turned up any either. But what I'm looking for is one with a high pressure wand that I can use to wash of the heavy dirt in between washes.

I'm in Rancho Cucamonga CA but I'd go from Ontario, Fontana or west to the Glendora area.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Ed 40Jahre
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a self car wash at the corner of Baseline & Carnelian, it's back in the southwest corner.
Hope this helps.

Baseline and Carnelian, near Rancho Cucamonga, CA Google maps

Ed
Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed 40Jahre
There is a self car wash at the corner of Baseline & Carnelian, it's back in the southwest corner.
Hope this helps.

Baseline and Carnelian, near Rancho Cucamonga, CA Google maps

Ed
Thanks, I'm heading over there now.
Charlie
PS. It was kind of hard to find but I did find it. Thanks again!

Last edited by Charlie C; 02-21-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:05 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by pilegreatest
Hello, Just picked up my 2011 phantom back S5. I plan to do most of my wash care at a self-serve wash. Are those brushes with the soap that comes from them ok to wash on the black paint? I'm not looking to scratch or make swirl marks... I already bought microfiber towels to dry... Thanks...

No!
The following users liked this post:
TerrestrialFlyte (10-21-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 07:08 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

google turned up several for me... Sunrise Center Coin Op Self Service Car Wash in rancho cucamonga
Old 10-21-2022, 07:23 AM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

You have to be very careful with black paint as micro-scratches appear immediately, in my opinion the best thing you can use to wash a dark car is a leather and lambswool glove like the one I show you in the photo, always being careful wash the lower areas of the car last to prevent sand remains from remaining in the glove and carefully after rinsing and cleaning it very well.
Likewise, with drying, you also have to be very careful and, as you have said, use a microfiber towel.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:44 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Two words: No Rinse, as in Optimum No Rinse.
This is the way. I am a convert. I still use brake dust cleaner on the wheels and spray those but the paint gets ONR. 2 gal, with another gal in the pump sprayer to pre-spray. That lasts a few washes.
Old 10-24-2022, 02:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by cbredesen
This is the way. I am a convert. I still use brake dust cleaner on the wheels and spray those but the paint gets ONR. 2 gal, with another gal in the pump sprayer to pre-spray. That lasts a few washes.
There is a new rinse-less product
P&S Absolute P&S Absolute
that I now prefer over ONR. Cleans better, slicker too.
Old 10-24-2022, 02:48 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
There is a new rinse-less product P&S Absolute that I now prefer over ONR. Cleans better, slicker too.
I'll have to check this out. I know there are alternatives but I just refilled my supply of ONR so it'll be awhile! I am liking the P&S product pretty well, I will say. Their interior/APC is great and I hear their brake dust cleaner is also very good -- going to try that once I'm out of Diablo.
Old 10-25-2022, 01:42 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

I bought some of that stuff but never used it. I couldn't make the leap

Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All. Can't even remember how I bought it. My cars don't get too dirty. So a clean rinse makes me feel safer. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:02 AM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I bought some of that stuff but never used it. I couldn't make the leap

Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All. Can't even remember how I bought it. My cars don't get too dirty. So a clean rinse makes me feel safer. Maybe I'm wrong.
I get that. I had the same thoughts. After reading post after post and watching video after video of pros gushing over the qualities of rinseless washes, I changed over. The thing is, it isn't just that it's rinseless, it's that in order to have a rinseless wash you have to deal with the dirt/particles in a way that doesn't scratch the paint. It turns out that these products are just vastly better at doing that. So even if you just add a bit to your normal wash mix, you're winning. But I have been doing maintenance washes with 2gal of water for a month or two now and it's going well. I did get out the pressure washer after returning from a track day just to get the huge layer of crap off. I did the foam gun and still added a bit of ONR to the mix to improve dirt encapsulation.

All that said, I would be happier if I understood the science behind the stuff so I'm still on the lookout for real hard information.

Quick Reply: Self Car Wash So Cal?