Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nyc porsches and rough roads

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010 | 10:31 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnny goose
the carrera s would be my second car so it would be fine to drive around 2 times a week were i choose..second...you have no idea what your takin about traffic is only bad during rush hour and the roads are actually pretty good with a pothole here and there staten island has mirror smooth roads..and new jersey and long island the same. the only place were i wouldnt drive my car is in manhtten.. then again if u knw were ur goin u knw what streets to take and what streets not to take...aggressive bad drivers u would not last 10 min in manhatten driving so actually its agressive good driving
Please tell me where all these great, smooth roads are Don't spend much time on SI but LI roads are a disaster. Especially after this winter. The roads are as bad as i've ever seen them. ALL of them - LIE, Northern state, southern state, etc. Took a drive out to montauk last week and even out there the roads are a mess.

like you, my car is not my daily driver so i pick and choose where i go, so that does make it better. if you like the car get it.
Old 04-08-2010 | 12:44 PM
absame
Instructor

My 03 C4 Cab is pretty close to my daily driver 9 months of the year. Plenty of fun roads in tri-state area - try crossing the hudson on weekends where we actually have hills and twisty mountain roads. As said above, i would just tone down the rim size. In 03 standard wheels were 17", and they keep climbing. On my recent spring tune up my two rear 18" wheels were shot -- too many potholes, and wasnt the first time. 19" look nice, but around here i'd put as much rubber between you and the asphalt as you can. Local porsche race team services my car -- not suggesting you do the same, but owner puts 17" on his street cars. Just saying.
Old 04-08-2010 | 01:54 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Staten Island?

I've lived there for the last 12 years and I've never seen the roads as bad as they were after this winter. DOT has done some work the last month filling some in, but I've seen SUV's with blown out tires on Hylan Blvd this year.

Be careful and watch the car in front of you.

staten island has mirror smooth roads..and new jersey and long island the same. the only place were i wouldnt drive my car is in manhtten..
Old 04-08-2010 | 07:31 PM
johnny goose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Staten Island?

I've lived there for the last 12 years and I've never seen the roads as bad as they were after this winter. DOT has done some work the last month filling some in, but I've seen SUV's with blown out tires on Hylan Blvd this year.

Be careful and watch the car in front of you.
yes but the expressway is not bad thats funny how you look at the car in front of u to..this wintwer we had alot of snow with big time salt..that will ruin any road..
Old 04-08-2010 | 07:40 PM
johnny goose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Please tell me where all these great, smooth roads are Don't spend much time on SI but LI roads are a disaster. Especially after this winter. The roads are as bad as i've ever seen them. ALL of them - LIE, Northern state, southern state, etc. Took a drive out to montauk last week and even out there the roads are a mess.

like you, my car is not my daily driver so i pick and choose where i go, so that does make it better. if you like the car get it.
you thinnk the lie and southrn state is a bad xpressway..i dont knw how the public roads are but in brooklyn bay ridge dyker hights there not that bad u just have to have eagle eyes at all times for potholes..just curious how many miles do u put on your car and are happy with the 19s as far as comfort..
Old 04-08-2010 | 07:58 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

I took my 997 out last week for the first time this year. I had to take to state inspection. The pothole situation is the worst I've ever seen it in all my years of living here. You can really notice it and feel it in the 997. Be careful out there.
Old 04-08-2010 | 09:58 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by LlBr
I personally would not own a Carrera in or near a city like NY. I'm talking the whole tristate area. Traffic is a beeoch, road surfaces are like a DMZ with stripped cars in the break down lane, and the last thing I want to think about is my car getting dinged.

BTW, the car is fast, there's no place to go fast when traffic is constantly heavy. Plus the car is pretty small and low and vulnerable to the effects of being surrounded by aggressive bad drivers
Yes, poor me.

I probably drove 90 miles through the NYC exurbs today. It was horrible. It was so sunny I had to use the A/C for a while. Driving down the Palisades Parkway through the state parks, I was forced to dodge 5 potholes in 20 miles. Route 9W is a travesty with its sweeping curves and panoramic views of West Point and the Hudson. I was two cars behind a dump truck for several miles at one point. A traffic jam on the Thruway slowed things down to 40 mph for 3 minutes. On several occasions, I had to turn the radio off and roll down the windows, just to listen to the engine and exhaust as I wound in and out of curves without another car in sight. Then I had to go half a mile out of my way, into New Jersey, just to buy some of the cheapest (and yet full service) gas on the East Coast.

Yes, had I been thinking clearly, I would never have bought such a sleek car while living in such a miserable part of the country. Ah well, live and learn.....
Old 04-08-2010 | 11:14 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

you thinnk the lie and southrn state is a bad xpressway..i dont knw how the public roads are but in brooklyn bay ridge dyker hights there not that bad u just have to have eagle eyes at all times for potholes..just curious how many miles do u put on your car and are happy with the 19s as far as comfort..
30,000 miles on my car and the 19's are fine. I also have bilstein's so the ride is a bit rougher than stock.
Old 04-08-2010 | 11:47 PM
nyca
Drifting

Indeed, worst NY metro roads I have ever seen. Where did that 787 billion dollars for "shovel ready" projects go - what job is more shovel ready then paving a road?
Old 04-08-2010 | 11:51 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

To the OP-you should do a much longer test drive. Spend as much seat time as possible. You are the best judge of what is acceptable for you. I have 19s on my C2 and am ok in Dallas. The roads are not the best, but not that bad either. The wife hates my car and always complains about the ride.

Anyone know how much the difference in hight is between 19s and 18s? Also, can anyone post pics of the same car with 18s & 19s? I've been looking at swapping my 19s for 18s, but keep getting talked out of it.
Old 04-09-2010 | 11:21 AM
peterm
Racer

spasm c2s 19 inch daily driver Li to qns - it is what it is-

roads are tolerable and its a car- drive it sure big pothole can ding a rim watch the car in front of you!

went out to hamptons the other day 27/LIe were just fine.

ocean parkway is always a treat though on weekends especially they are patrolling alot!
Old 04-09-2010 | 02:13 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

it was a carrera s so im guessing that that it has spasm as standered..i drove the car in normal and a little in sport.. for the roads i was on sport had a really bumpy ride but wow what a diff. want to try this setting on a track..but normal was not bad just wanted to see if normal was ok for most divers..btw the car had sprt crn pkg..
Spasm is not standard on an S, the PASM is. I agree, the sport mode is much stiffer than normal, and normal is good enough for me. The SPASM cars also have shorter springs that make the car sit 20mm lower than the PASM.

Here is the website description:
Electronically variable active damping system with two manually selectable modes and limited slip rear differential lock. Ride height lowered by 20 mm.
Old 04-09-2010 | 02:19 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by LlBr
I personally would not own a Carrera in or near a city like NY. I'm talking the whole tristate area. Traffic is a beeoch, road surfaces are like a DMZ with stripped cars in the break down lane, and the last thing I want to think about is my car getting dinged.

BTW, the car is fast, there's no place to go fast when traffic is constantly heavy. Plus the car is pretty small and low and vulnerable to the effects of being surrounded by aggressive bad drivers

The other thing? Hitting a few potholes is okay, we all do it now and then. Hitting a few potholes times 100 on a daily basis has got to be bad unless perhaps the suspension is modified to handle it. Just a guess.

No problem for this rig.
Where are you from LIBr? Does LI stand for Long Island? I agree w/ you in all boroughs and Long Island, other than the Hamptons (off season). Northern westchester is a great traffic free place to live and drive the car, also a lot of nice sceenic roads and big open highways. My home base is northern westchester, I also have a home in the hamptons and an apt in Manhattan, so I know the NYC metro ares very well. Also born and raised here.
Old 04-09-2010 | 02:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alstoy
To the OP-you should do a much longer test drive. Spend as much seat time as possible. You are the best judge of what is acceptable for you. I have 19s on my C2 and am ok in Dallas. The roads are not the best, but not that bad either. The wife hates my car and always complains about the ride.

Anyone know how much the difference in hight is between 19s and 18s? Also, can anyone post pics of the same car with 18s & 19s? I've been looking at swapping my 19s for 18s, but keep getting talked out of it.
There is barely ANY difference between an 18 and 19 inch wheel and tire.
Attached Images     
Old 04-09-2010 | 03:33 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Edgy-thanks for the pics. Very nice as usual. No difference in height, right? Do you see a big difference in ride quality?

Quick Reply: nyc porsches and rough roads