Sponsored by:

Brake Flush & Fluid Question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:50 PM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Flush & Fluid Question...

I have read all the posts I could on brake flushes (and the DIY on Renntech). I'm planning on tackling this on my own as I'm getting ready to put her on the road for the season and my wheels are currently off getting refinished. So my questions:

1) If you do not use a power bleeder (Motive, etc), what is the proper procedure for flushing/bleeding? Any of the instructions I have come across all seem to refer to a power bleeder.

2) ATE, Motul and Porsche are the brake fluids that are continually metioned. I know the Porsche fluid is made by Pentosin. I came across this DOT4 Pentosin brake fluid I was planning on using. Comments?

Lastly, and this might seem like a dumb question to some, but what is the proper disposal technique for the flushed brake fluid?

Last edited by schwartzwest; 04-04-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

If you do not track your car Pentosin is fine. If you track, Motul 660 is your friend and unlike SRF Castrol does not need a complete cleansing of the system. Open the fill cap and drain the fluid at the wheel nipples. Add the new brake fluid and pump the brake pedal to get rid of the residual fluid. This takes two people, one to open and close the nipple and the other to push and hold the brake pedal.

After you re-fill make sure to pump the brake pedal!

Regards,
Old 04-04-2010, 11:07 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Both Motul RBF660 and Castrol are great high performance fluids with high boiling points. While both are compatible with standard fluid, but the more fully you flush the system with the new fluid, the higher the resultant boiling point will be with either 660 or SRF. Dilution with standard fluids will lower the boiling point of either fluid, which is why a full flush and only topping up with the new fluid after a change to one of these high performance fluids is recommended.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:42 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I was told that both Motul RBF600 and Castrol while having a much higher boling points wet and dry, they are more prone to absorb moisture than other fluids and hence need to be changed more regularly.

Is that true and if so, if I used Porsche fluid and planned to swap once every 2 years, with Motul RBF600, shall I do every year? 6 months, etc..?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Check out my recent thread on brake fluid replacement. It's a fairly easy job, for anyone who has some mechanical skills.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:52 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't seem as though anyone who bleeds their own brakes uses Pentosin. I assume it's the same stuff as the Porsche part number but manufacturer branded.

Dan, I don't recall your posts on the subject (which I believe I read) covered the job without a power bleeder, although I get the overall approach.

What do you guys do with the used fluid? Don't tell me you dump it down the drain...
Old 04-05-2010, 06:56 AM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do not track, Pentosin or ATE Gold (ATE Blue is same spec but I don't like as it stains your resevoir) are fine as mentioned in first reply. Motul 660 and Castrol SRF are expensive and intended for track cars - they are overkill for the street.

In my area Autozone recycles fluids.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Pretty much everyone who sells fluids like that are bound to recycle it. It's the law.

I didn't use a power bleeder, although I did use a suction devise to pull the remaining old fluid out of the reservoir so that I wouldn't be flushing with the old.

Quick Reply: Brake Flush & Fluid Question...