Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Oil change affects warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:05 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts
Default DIY Oil change affects warranty?

after reading the diy on the oil change, i realize changing oil on our porsche 997.2's is as esy as changing it on my 98 merc S class. Oil filter on top, one drain plug at the bottom. Beautiful!. I intend to do my first oil change at 3000kms. I got this figure from the manual indicating a suggested breaking in at the first 3000kms. Already have all the tools and parts. However, has anyone really coordinated with Porsche and asked if oil changes not done at the dealer affect warranty claims? We all know how easy it is to change the oil with the only difficulty being the reset which need to be done at the dealer. Being charged an arm and a leg for something we can do in 1 hour does not seem right.. how do we reconcile this? if we give proof to the dealer of the new oil and parts installed whenever we have the service reset, will this be enough?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:42 AM
jplanaux
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep your records.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:52 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

jplanaux, you recon this will be enough? any experience. we actually just need to keep these record for the next 4 years. and im fairly confident that these cars will last a lot longer than that but like murphy's law states, wrong thing will happen at the right time... at least thats how i think it goes. if anybody has had bad experiences with this situation please share so we can all take the neccessary precautions.. dont want to save on this and get whacked on the head when the time comes
Old 04-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Auto conpanies can never require that you have your car serviced at their dealers. That would be restraint of trade. One just needs to be sure the proper services are done and that no damage is done to the car when serviced.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:46 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Fahrer said
Auto conpanies can never require that you have your car serviced at their dealers. That would be restraint of trade. One just needs to be sure the proper services are done and that no damage is done to the car when serviced.
Not TRUE!!! Right after Obamacare came ObamaCAR!! Now Congress has MANDATED that you WILL purchase oil changes from government auto facilities. Also in the bill is engine changes are free under the new act.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:58 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Great!!! lol. I have always kept meticulous details on my own servicing. If the computer fails at the dealership (this happens!) they will have no record of your services. Do you trust computers THAT much??
Old 04-05-2010, 12:58 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Eyeroll... The yelling and ranting forum is over here: politics and controversy. Can we stick to cars out here in the 997 forum?
Old 04-05-2010, 01:16 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Nugget is was pure humor and the Fahrers post was a great setup. If you dont have any humor than dont read my posts or put me on ignore. Dont be a drag.
There are no rules against humor here. I thought ObamaCar was hilarious
Its a drab subject I was just trying to liven it up a little.
I wasnt ranting or yelling, I was JOKING!!! Get a book on jokes, or get laid, or take your blood pressure meds! Sheesh.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil change affects warranty?