Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slipping pdk

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010 | 02:58 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by stevepow
There's no need for conjecture, it's in the PCM manual. If you have a PDK car, then you must have a PCM3, therefore you can play DVDA discs as they are. However, you cannot easily make your own as they apparently have to be MLP encoded and MLP software is pretty damn expensive. My "studio cooked" DVDAs play fine on Denon and Pioneer DVDA/SACD players, but the 997.2 says no go - supported formats are (page 34):

MP3
WMA
AAC
DTS (I should get some DTS software - cheap enough and great sound too)
Dolby Digital (AC3) - crappy sound compared to DTS or MLP
MLP - used for DVDA

And the DVDA discs really do sound great in the car as does DTS. They natively play in surround without any Bose trickery and it seems like that is what the system is optimized for. Only problem is the selection of DVDA and DTS discs is really slim.

I have a new release of King Crimson Red that recently was done in DVDA - sounds really good. They have a few other albums too that I need to get. Machine Head is good too for Purple fans, but now discontinued. It is a great format, but seems to be going nowhere as everyone seems content to listen to low-res MP3 on headphones with iPods. This is NOT going to be the "age of the audiophile" - even though the technology to deliver it is better than ever.
I saw the MLP decoding listed in the manual but didn't realize that was the format used by DVDA since I don't own any of the discs. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-05-2010 | 01:20 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

brought the car to the dealer today. no error codes. there was a pointer from service advisor that the stick should be ensured to be on the D portion. i guess computer is learning as most of the views suggest
Old 04-05-2010 | 02:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by slicky rick
brought the car to the dealer today. no error codes. there was a pointer from service advisor that the stick should be ensured to be on the D portion. i guess computer is learning as most of the views suggest
So this ended up being a gear lever/cable adjustment?
Old 04-05-2010 | 08:01 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

not really, he just advised that sometimes when we put it in drive we are very soft and careful and this could sometimes not engage sensors. don't really know if it makes sense but i always feel a click of somewhat when engaging drive.

Quick Reply: slipping pdk