Sponsored by:

Part question: air vent

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010 | 01:48 AM
tpenta
Racer

Default Part question: air vent

Hey guys,

I can't believe I did this but while cleaning my dashboard a couple of weeks ago, I somehow managed to break the plastic little part that controls moving the driver air vent control (above the Nav) left-to-right.

You can still move the piece left to right but it doesn't seem to be attached to the little vertical grill inside that controls directing the air flow left to right. The up-and-down still works fine.

Does anyone have any idea if I can find that part to replace in a catalog? Is this something I could potentially fix on my own? i thought about taking it apart and figuring my own contraption to make it work.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

-T
Old 04-02-2010 | 12:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I hate to say this--but I will! If you happened to be that rough cleaning the interior perhaps you have trouble with smaller, delicate things. (Do you have big hands?) Seriously, you might be able to recover as you might have simply caused it to get out of its track. Look closely with a flashlight to see if you really broke that little part or if you caused it to get off track. If broken--you'll undoubtedly have to purchase an entire new assembly. Heaven help you if you have one covered in leather!

Try Sunset Porsche in Oregon (online site) to order one. The thing is probably installed with a tab at each corner holding it in., Taking the old one out entails depressing or retracting those tabs as you pull the thing out. Remember, most of the parts on these cars are designed to go IN easier than coming back out.
Old 04-02-2010 | 11:33 PM
tpenta
Racer

I'll check carefully with a flashlight this weekend. I actually never saw anything physically break but I only assumed this was so because when you move the thing left and right it doesn't do anything. So it is possible it's off the tracks.

Maybe I need to take the whole thing out and inspect what is actually happening.

No I don't have "big" hands but my wife would probably tell you I'm pretty clumsy and she would not be surprised to find out I broke something in the car. She is baffled by how many coffee pots I've broken while washing them... Go figure!

Thanks,

-T

Quick Reply: Part question: air vent