Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expert's Challenge: Headers or No Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:24 AM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expert's Challenge: Headers or No Headers?

Here's the deal: I'm new to the P-car world; bought in Dec a prestine CPO 2006 Cab, none 'S', 6 spd w/17,500 miles, midnight blue, tan interior, 19" Classics, Bose, seats, bi-zeon.
I'm not going to track it but will do DE, some skills driving and maybe autocross.
After reading this fourm and 6Speed for the last 4 months, the mods I want to do are as follows: AWE exhaust (I read that the AWE sound is less invasive at slower speeds; happy wife), the AWE or FabSpeed cats (both are 200 cell German sourced, so any real difference?) and Softronics ECM re-mapping.

So here's the challenge to the experts: I read that I may/will loose low speed torque by replaceing the OEM headers. Is this true? If it is not true, which headers would best suit my needs and why?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I wouldn't change the headers at all. Generally you lose (note spelling) some torque when you open up the tube diameter from stock. I installed the X51 headers on my S a couple of years ago strictly for the noise. (I also had to clean up the welds on the inside of them first).
Old 04-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Track Day

Spelling noted, thanks, Spell Check won't load.
You are confirming my position, again thanks.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:38 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Wish we could quantify this, there was a thread of base HP numbers before X51 header install... we never got the after-HP numbers!
Old 04-02-2010, 06:02 AM
royalpar1
Instructor

I have tubi headers, tubi exhaust,mufflers, tubi everything as well as a carbon fiber airbox, true f77 and a chip and its just awesome, the sound , the tourque, it allows me to await the 998
Old 04-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Verde
Advanced

I guess I would disagree. Though the tube diameter of the 997 non-'S' model makes the case less compelling (i.e. the 'S' is allegedly more restrictive) a set of larger diameter equal length header makes sense for good breathing. And the equal length design is valuable. For a similar reason I would recommend the x-pipe from Fabspeed. The 'x' design has advantages in assisting in the exhaust process. AWE makes great stuff and has a great rep. But I've been happy with my Fabspeed setup and feel comfortable understanding the theory behind it.
It is true that a system such as the one I'm describing seems to reduce low-end torque just slightly. But adds power in the mid- and higher ranges. Funny that after I installed my setup, everyone who knew my car well stalled it when starting from a standstill until they re-learned the car. Mere coincidence?
Old 04-02-2010, 07:41 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Air is power.

But to get more power more air needs to go IN as well as GO out.

Now, a larger free flowing intake system, polished and paper rolled airways, polished valves AND headers, then we'd see a little power.

On a pure sound difference scale though headers will make her sound different... hopefully better.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:36 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've posted my personal findings here and there. X51 headers, AWE cats, and OEM mufflers with Softronic was the best combination. Aftermarket headers, cats, and mufflers was much too loud and this coming from a track rat (which is where my car spends most of its time). I couldn't the noise in a cab. It's your money to spend, so go with what you think is what you'll like. But in my case with my 07 coupe, I ended up taking the aftermarket mufflers off and putting the stock ones back on to be able to drive the car on the street comfortably.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:55 AM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Full AWE exhaust system here (headers, cats, mufflers). Don't have any dyno numbers but I am very happy with the results. I don't notice any loss of power/torque at the lower rpm's and the car feels like she pulls so much stronger at the higher rpm's (plus the sound is intoxicating).
Old 04-03-2010, 07:13 PM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

anyone tried cargraphic headers ?
Old 04-03-2010, 07:28 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 478100
Here's the deal: I'm new to the P-car world; bought in Dec a prestine CPO 2006 Cab, none 'S', 6 spd w/17,500 miles, midnight blue, tan interior, 19" Classics, Bose, seats, bi-zeon.
I'm not going to track it but will do DE, some skills driving and maybe autocross.
After reading this fourm and 6Speed for the last 4 months, the mods I want to do are as follows: AWE exhaust (I read that the AWE sound is less invasive at slower speeds; happy wife), the AWE or FabSpeed cats (both are 200 cell German sourced, so any real difference?) and Softronics ECM re-mapping.

So here's the challenge to the experts: I read that I may/will loose low speed torque by replaceing the OEM headers. Is this true? If it is not true, which headers would best suit my needs and why?
you have a non-S car and headers design on base car is same as on X51 headers for 'S' car, actually, it is other way around. it is adequate.
get AWE or fabspeed 200 cell cats plus softronic and do not waste your money on anything else in exhaust area.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
you have a non-S car and headers design on base car is same as on X51 headers for 'S' car, actually, it is other way around. it is adequate.
get AWE or fabspeed 200 cell cats plus softronic and do not waste your money on anything else in exhaust area.
Here is a picture of my non S headers. Looks allot like X51 headers only they have a slightly smaller diameter. On a non S I'd do the "Gundo" hack (do a search for "Gundo"), I've done that already, (see clip for improved sound) and I've got some AWE cats to still install. Just with the Gundo's my car's sound is transformed and I think it revs better too (no I can't verify this!)

Bruce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDZCdX1ufIs
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Default Picture of a Gundo type muffler

Notice the cross pipe between the inlet and outlet, of a slightly smaller diameter, and the second exit from muffler, that ties into the orginal exit. Both these bits were added aftermarket. This second exit (bottom of picture) is where the OEM PSE exits but on a OEM PSE it then runs parallel all the way to the tips, hence suspected extra weight of an OEM PSE.
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2010, 09:15 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
I've been down this road and x pipe from Fabspeed is for DFI cars only.
since when? i run x-pipe on my C2. check their web site - there is x-pipe cat for 997.1. it is same for base and 'S' cars.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
since when? i run x-pipe on my C2. check their web site - there is x-pipe cat for 997.1. it is same for base and 'S' cars.
OK I stand corrected then. That was my understanding a few months back, guess not anymore.

Quick Reply: Expert's Challenge: Headers or No Headers?