Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugggh...feeling buyer's remorse (a little)...need advice please (tad long, sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Concerns here about the car being a tip are vastly overblown. There are way more buyers of cars like ours than owners who post on sites like this, and the vast majority of buyers are not nearly as bothered as the enthusiast minority who care enough about such things to post on owner forums.

Nothing wrong with your car, enjoy what you have and ignore the tip naysayers.
+1

NADA still lists a premium for a tip.

PDK is still relatively new.

If it behaves anything like the VW version, it will become a PIA to own.

BD
Old 04-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Verde
Advanced

Yep, sound advice. If you spend more of your time driving your great car, you'll have little time left for reading classifieds. So get out there! And normally, I would say hold on to your car for a long, long time, but the PDK cars, when you are ready, are really the best of both worlds. So anything that delays that purchase, such as purchasing this 'S' car, seem like a bad idea.
Further, the financial model seems a bit optimistic in that it does not take in to account registration/tax fees on the transaction. I just bought a used 1988 930 from out of state, and the great state of CA will charge me will over 5K for the right to register it here. No problem, I knew what I was getting in to when I bought it, but it raises the bar when considering 'turning' cars (Something I never do. I typically hold cars for more than 10 years and I rarely buy them new).
Finally, there was an article written recently in which Porsche filed for a long list of patents related to a folding (soft) top design for a 4-door Panamera-looking car. I suspect VW wants to be able to extract a lot of money from the R&D spent on that platform (928-like design (2 door), soft top of that one, and a 4-door soft top).
Old 04-02-2010, 06:13 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i would be interested in a panamera cab
Old 04-02-2010, 07:31 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by robbonds
i would be interested in a panamera cab

Old 04-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

To some extent or another most of go through "what if" on a regular basis. Last Saturday I visited the local Ruf car show. They had a row of beautiful red Ferraries with two Enzos. There were a lot of other great cars that made my C2 look like a VW. It made me think a lot about trading the car in, but the drive home was all I needed. To really appritiate a Porsche you need to drive other cars. It sounds odd, but make a bit of sense when you try it.

Cheers.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:03 PM
gray911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend who bought a Ferrari 430, he has scuderia envy! Same 4 us base owners. I have a gt3 envy going on but cannot stomach the hit of a trade in.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:16 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

no matter how much money you have its never enough..no matter how great your car is you will always look at other or envy better cars...thats is how we are made..its called desire?

i will always lust for a turbo or ferrari even though i drive an amazingly rediculous car
Old 04-02-2010, 09:32 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned a tip and many sticks and had a great time in both. Looking is not a bad thing. The timing is where you can really make a mistake you could regret. Currently it is a buyers market, which means you could a lot bigger hit that you would ever imagine. Who knows, you may like the 998 much better than the 997 S.

Quick Reply: Ugggh...feeling buyer's remorse (a little)...need advice please (tad long, sorry)