Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugggh...feeling buyer's remorse (a little)...need advice please (tad long, sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:41 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default yup

see below, he is right.....

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Clever - unless you track the car the difference between an S and the regular Carrera is virtually nil. Enjoy the car. The Mk II PDK is a worthy goal. I would not jump to an S Tip and delay acquisition of the 997.2 PDK.

Best,
Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its all fine, i felt the same after i ordered my C2, however i purchased a bunch of speed options to make it a F77 package. I beleive my car is just a quick as a S, however with the tip, to me, its not much different than the PDK. I love my car. I have about 80k trouble free miles and will move to the new 998 or Panera Cab when available. Dont sweat the small stuff. enjoy your car, drive it and smile.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

sometimes marriage is that way

be happy with what you have

stop looking around, you already bought your car
Old 04-01-2010, 09:06 PM
angelo1404
Shamwow!
Rennlist Member

I have a non-S that has every "S" upgrade save the additional horsepower. I love it. I don't think about the horsepower I don't have -- even on the track.

Take all the advice offered here -- just drive your car and don't worry about what you "could have had".
Old 04-01-2010, 09:21 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by royalpar1
Its all fine, i felt the same after i ordered my C2, however i purchased a bunch of speed options to make it a F77 package. I beleive my car is just a quick as a S, however with the tip, to me, its not much different than the PDK. I love my car. I have about 80k trouble free miles and will move to the new 998 or Panera Cab when available. Dont sweat the small stuff. enjoy your car, drive it and smile.
pan cab? is that just you or did you hear/read that somewhere reliable?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:40 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Wink Pan Cab

Originally Posted by robbonds
pan cab? is that just you or did you hear/read that somewhere reliable?
I was getting itchy for a car and "need" a cab and with 2 kids now growing, need more back room than a 997. I drove the Bentley, not for me, its just too in your face flash, and not a drivers car. Drove the Maseratti new GT Cab, great car, great back seat but alas No Porsche. Soooooooo drove the Panera S with PDK. Great Car, Great Handling, Great Back Seat but alas not a Cab. Soooooooo, Porsche will/has to make this a Cab. This would be the best of all worlds in a Cabriolet.
If i think it, Porsche will build it
Old 04-01-2010, 09:47 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

If you plan to trade again in 2 years, trading now will further compound your loss. OTOH tip cars will have bigger losses (given the switch to PDK).
Old 04-01-2010, 10:52 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would seriously consider a pan cab
Old 04-01-2010, 11:57 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 164 Posts

You know, I went through the same angst after I bought my C4, worrying about whether I should have paid $5K more for a C4S. Tonight I was driving home and realized I'd totally stopped thinking about it. I'm not interested in racing and, as a normal driver, I never get my wonderful C4 to even 50% of its potential performance.

Oh, and did I mention that the State of Colorado today initiated a stop-speeders campaign, with zero cushion over the posted speed limit?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:20 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have stated, drive and enjoy your car.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

Porsche dealers just love buyers like you. Ignore that stuff, and drive what you bought.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:42 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

cant look at other cars up for sale or else you do what i did.. bought an 05 C2 cab, looked at other cars after and then stepped into an 09 C2 PDK because i couldnt stop looking... and now im doing the same thing and might step into a 10' GT3 if i dont stop.

S isnt that much faster but 5k diff and less miles is a good point, not worth 8k however imo.

if you really wanna trade, make sure you WANT the car in question, and the difference is worth it.. i would say +4 is a good difference.. go to dealer and offer that on trade.. if they dont, then sit back and enjoy your car.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:12 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 439 Posts

Yes I agree enjoy the car for awhile especially since its your 1st 911. Be it a tip or a 6spd its a wonderful car.

I did the same thing...sold my 05 997.1 base Carrera back to the dealer last March 2009 and bought an 09 Boxster base in Aug...hated the loss of my Carrera eventhough the Boxster was a very nice car I traded it back for an 09 Carrera S this past Jan. Took a nice hit in depreciation which was only mitigated by the fact that I got one of those 09 deals with $20k+ off from my dealer and Porsche NA offering trunk money that made it more easily swallowed. BUT I got the car I wanted an 09 Carrera S with PDK and everything I'd want/use but NAV (wish the car had that..adding it is expensive). So my advice is to enjoy the car and IF you really have your heart set on the PDK C2S and you can stomach the $$ hit then do it now...for we are not promised tomorrow and I do agree that your tip will command a specific buyer when you try to sell it in a few years to upgrade as well as probably bring in waay less $$ than you think it will especially if you can't find a buyer and have to trade it as most folks I've seen are NOT looking for tip 911's unless they're 09 PDK's and 6sp manuals far outweigh both choices in the CPO market I've seen. My dealer had 2 997S in triple black on the lot (an 08 and and 07) which I even ignored cause they were tips and had been there for about 5 months when I got my PDK this past Dec/Jan so the market for them may be slow now and alot slower when you go look for a PDK car as by then there will probably be more PDK cars coming back outta lease and maybe even trade ups to Panamera's coming off of lease as well of for the new 991 (whatever the new designation will be) or the 918 Spyder if they build it (god I wish!).

Good luck! R
Old 04-02-2010, 02:20 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 220 Posts

If anything yes it appears the increased offerings of PDK may mean your tip isn't worth as much.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:29 AM
swajames
Racer

Concerns here about the car being a tip are vastly overblown. There are way more buyers of cars like ours than owners who post on sites like this, and the vast majority of buyers are not nearly as bothered as the enthusiast minority who care enough about such things to post on owner forums.

Nothing wrong with your car, enjoy what you have and ignore the tip naysayers.

Quick Reply: Ugggh...feeling buyer's remorse (a little)...need advice please (tad long, sorry)