Sponsored by:

Give Me A Reason Not To Buy The 997?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you buy a 993, make sure you set aside a minor savings account to cover fixes for an older car.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:42 PM
zekeman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you agonizing over? You're virtually independent and solvent and have always wanted one. Mid 40's and the economy sucks...it's not going to get any better anytime soon. If you can afford it, even a slightly used one, go for it! Owning it and being able to drive it anytime you want, versus looking at a "dream" on tv....personally, it doesn't seem like a hard decision!
Z
Old 03-31-2010, 04:03 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I am from a fairly humble background and typically the type of person who doesn't like to spend a lot of money, especially on "flash" things. I agonized quite a bit over the purchase and might not have pulled the trigger unless I had found a ridiculously good deal (below dealer trade-in) at the bottom of the market last year. Still, I fretted beforehand.

I have zero buyer's remorse - zero.

However, I do have that stupid grin problem that the above poster mentioned....
Old 03-31-2010, 08:00 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

I'm in my mid 40's and have 2 young kids and I'm on my 4th 911. I just went away for 2 weeks and actually missed my car! I love this car. You find excuses to drive it. Its a race car for the road - vs something fast, blunt and heavy like an AMG Merc or an M5.

If you're single and set - no reason not to get one. Do it!!!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 08:03 AM
tincanman99
Instructor

Thanks for all the encouragement. Its appreciated. You guys are great.

I do well financially, have a ton of savings. Could literally be out of work for over a decade and not sweat it. My family came from modest means and I just always try to be practical. Thats part of the reason that holds me back. I know that no Porsche is practical .

The other is the reaction of others. Just the other night I was chatting with a woman at my gym and told her about my Porsche fetish and she said what are you having a mid life crisis? I said nope, I liked Porsche's long before I liked women. She said they are just such a waste of $. I said to her in the long run, I think women are more expensive than the Porsche and the Porsche never leaves you . Than she was pretend mad.

I crossed the 993 off the list a while ago because it is an older car. Not that its a bad car. But super low mileage ones get expensive, I have seen cherry ones that were 60-70k. And as you drive it, it will lose its value + keeping up an old car. I thought to myself if I am going to spend this on a 993 I can easily pay more for a 1-2 year old 997 which is a more modern car. I have been reading the input of edgy and others. I would rather have one 1-2 years old.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:26 PM
signature65
Instructor

You cannot compare the 993 to the 997. You would be beat down by the purists if you even spoke of this comparason....haha. The 993 will continue to hold its value. They have hit the bottom of thier depreciation cuve and will remain stable for some time.

However.....it sounds like you want the 997 and the 993 was your backup.....so get the 997! I have a longhood and I'm dying to get a 997S. After the purchase the money spent will be forgotten once your behind the wheel. Look long....choose color and options you want and dont look back. This board is great and use the SEARCH option.....tons of archived info to read thru. I have spent many hours researching my next addition to the stable.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:39 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tincanman99
Ok, here is the story. I am totally financially solvent, in my mid 40s. No wife, no kids, sold my assets at the peak and my job is stable. I have wanted a Porsche since I was like 10 years old.

Have come close to buying it multiple times (a few Boxsters & a 993) but chickened out each time. After reading enough about the 993 and the input of several seasoned members I crossed the 993 off my list.

I can buy a 1-2 year old 997 that is basically a new car which is what I would pay for the 993. Lets see - 2 year old car versus a 12 year old car at the minimum.

There are a lot of sweet deals out there right now. I am trying to work out the gumption to pull the trigger . I was all fired up last night after watching the Ultimate Factory on Porsche last night in HD.

I know a car is a depreciating asset but I am thinking if I dont buy it now, when?

Need that push anyone want to help ?
If you are financially OK - buy both cars and enjoy them equally until you will make a decision to keep both or sell one of them.
What`s the problem?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:28 PM
ericthepilot
Racer

DO IT !!

Bought mine a 2 months ago, and I never stopped smiling. Also the new faces you will meet by just driving this 997 will make it so much more worth.

Don't look back to the "other" cars. Porsche figured out a nice way of putting performance and comfort in a time capsule. They just keep getting better and bettter.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:41 PM
300cd300sdl911
Advanced

Go for it.
997's are amazing vehicles. Use whatever lame excuse best suites you: i.e.

Life's too short
When you're dead you're dead for a long time
You only like once etc.........
Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it I waited till I was 48 what a waste of time. I saved and paid cash great to have paid for but I could have been enjoying while I waited. It took a bout of skin cancer to get me off my duff.

I had a friend of my kids dad who was couple years younger have a heart attack while driving ran off road and was killed Monday night. His funeral is Saturday. You never know when your time is up don't wait to long.

Good Luck on the Search
Old 03-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the encouragement. Its appreciated. You guys are great.

I do well financially, have a ton of savings. Could literally be out of work for over a decade and not sweat it. My family came from modest means and I just always try to be practical. Thats part of the reason that holds me back. I know that no Porsche is practical .

The other is the reaction of others. Just the other night I was chatting with a woman at my gym and told her about my Porsche fetish and she said what are you having a mid life crisis? I said nope, I liked Porsche's long before I liked women. She said they are just such a waste of $. I said to her in the long run, I think women are more expensive than the Porsche and the Porsche never leaves you . Than she was pretend mad.

I crossed the 993 off the list a while ago because it is an older car. Not that its a bad car. But super low mileage ones get expensive, I have seen cherry ones that were 60-70k. And as you drive it, it will lose its value + keeping up an old car. I thought to myself if I am going to spend this on a 993 I can easily pay more for a 1-2 year old 997 which is a more modern car. I have been reading the input of edgy and others. I would rather have one 1-2 years old.
Women cost way more. I added up the cost of my wifes Jewelry. I could have had a Boxster also along with Turbo S.

My wife said same thing when I wanted a Ferrari said it was a mid life crisis BS if I wanted another woman I don't need a car to get one. But why would want one They all cost the same and Divorce is even more costly. Tell her you getting the car so you can both Travel in style get a Cab or Targa tell her the fall trip to the NE would be great you ,her the fall breezes. If you cant dazzle them with your brilliance baffle her with the BS they all love that crap
Old 03-31-2010, 02:14 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Jeeze, my wife thought I was nuts, since I traded in my 06S, purchased new in 06, for a new leftover 09,PDK in Sept.
Granted, I've owned Porsches' since 1970, and have never been without one since.
Go for it, you'll never be sorry!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:25 PM
aircooled0801
Instructor

I have owned 12 P-Cars, and my MY06 997S is the best I have owned BY FAR! I am completely sold on the watercooled 3.8's. Again, I have a 2006, so I cannot speak for the 997.2's - forward.

There are some great deals out there, and with the economy the way it is, it's definitely a buyer's market. Figure out exactly what you want as far as colors, options, mileage, etc... and wait for it. You'll be happy you did. I am!

Best of luck!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:44 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

I crossed the 993 off the list a while ago because it is an older car.......and as you drive it, it will lose its value + keeping up an old car.
Well the 997 will be worth considerably less than what you paid for it after a couple of years. But so would a Merc, BMW, Honda.....whatever...it's a car, 99.9% of them go south with their value.

You can't base the decision on a future financial guess........consider the money as GONE, because once you have one, you will spend money on another and another and.......
Old 03-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

I was 50 when I bought my 2005 997 C2S last september (09). I had always wanted a Ferrari F355 but came to accept I could not afford to run one so then bought the 997 which is still a big spend for me but at least the running costs are not too bad.

I was like you too plenty of money and always acting responsible. Again a major health scare (which I am now fully recovered from) promted me to act. Also what's the point of buying a car like a 997 when you are 70 etc. By then it will be a waste of money.

I would not be tempted by the 996 though (sorry 996 owners) I just think the 997 is a much nicer car.

Quick Reply: Give Me A Reason Not To Buy The 997?